What would you do to get the T out of its financial mess?

Bus Route Optimization

The bus network is more or less unchanged from the old streetcar network, right down to a majority of the route numbers being the same. That's mainly a result of the Square-to-Square layout of the cowpaths-begat-thoroughfares we've got here in lieu of any semblance of orderly grid. There aren't that many 'new' Yellow Line routes you can invent between any 2 demand points when charting all the ways it gets squeezed, contorted, funneled, and split by the spaghetti streets between those points. And there aren't that many routes with an obvious "Eureka!" moment to be had in retooling their routings. Even most of the alt routings between destinations are more or less legacy because of these factors.

What about Brighton Center to Central Sq Cambridge? It's pretty much a straight line by SOV, but after a short trip on the 57 you have to change to the 64 if going by bus, and the 64 doesn't even take the direct route on River St through Cambridge.

Or what about Wonderland to Malden Center to Medford Sq to Arlington Center? It vaguely resembles a straight line, but you need about four buses (411, 101, 94, 80) with the current network.

Just let the bus be a bus in a network of seamless bus routes. Do you need to take the 1 or the CT1 today? The 77 or "77E" that runs skip-stop for getting deeper into Arlington faster? The primary local or the "A"-suffixed alt route that runs on a parallel street for part of the way and shortens the normal walk to your friend's apartment by a couple blocks? The primary or the "X"-suffixed short-turn that's a little less crowded for lugging a personal cart of groceries? These should be second-nature daily questions with wholly mundane answers across the system on every corridor that merits, not an invitation to inaction through overthinking or one-size-fits-all thinking.

http://amateurplanner.blogspot.com/2015/07/how-to-improve-transit-including-buses_5.html seems to be arguing the opposite, that CT1 and 1 should merge into a single route. (And I think 23 should get extended to Central Square in Cambridge, probably including stops at Symphony and Hynes, and then 1 should go to Umass-Boston instead of Dudley.)

Regarding 77, I think there ought to be a Red Line stop at Mass Ave between Davis and Alewife, and another at Arlington Center, and probably even one at Arlington Heights; do that, and the all-local 77 would probably work out just fine.

Re: Bus Route Optimization

What about Brighton Center to Central Sq Cambridge? It's pretty much a straight line by SOV, but after a short trip on the 57 you have to change to the 64 if going by bus, and the 64 doesn't even take the direct route on River St through Cambridge.

Or what about Wonderland to Malden Center to Medford Sq to Arlington Center? It vaguely resembles a straight line, but you need about four buses (411, 101, 94, 80) with the current network.

http://amateurplanner.blogspot.com/2015/07/how-to-improve-transit-including-buses_5.html seems to be arguing the opposite, that CT1 and 1 should merge into a single route. (And I think 23 should get extended to Central Square in Cambridge, probably including stops at Symphony and Hynes, and then 1 should go to Umass-Boston instead of Dudley.)

Regarding 77, I think there ought to be a Red Line stop at Mass Ave between Davis and Alewife, and another at Arlington Center, and probably even one at Arlington Heights; do that, and the all-local 77 would probably work out just fine.

Joel -- you seem to be new to the area -- i suggest you do some reading of what is available by googling, etc. -- much of this is material which has been discussed over the past 100+ years

Welcome, Joel. I appreciate your smart fresh look at these things, even if you end up rediscovering old stuff, and doing new math that confirms old math. Some old ideas (like an inner loop and alignment for I-95) didn't work out, so don't be intimidated when your work is or isn't confirmed by an old plan.

(Whighlander, let's apply the Wikipedia rule of please don't bite the newbies, which they've apparently cleaned up as "newcomers" since I was a newbie)

Strikes me that Stephanie Pollack is right about IT powering a much-smarter deployment of assets (and maintenance of assets).

Having buses troll the streets to visually ID fares, and having passengers stand at the same old stops is probably wrong, but we can't quite see yet how to replace it.

I love it when smart Republicans hire smart Democrats. Sign me up for the smart party.

Arlington, your GIF is a little misleading as you assume the trolly is fully occupied, but the cards are have only one passenger. Cars are frequently occupied by more than one person and trolleys frequently occupied by less than 100% occupancy. So its not as bad as that makes it seem. I understand the main point, though.
Here is an image from Seattle that gives a more complete illustration of why property tax dollars to support access and mobility would be better spent on transit:
2nd-Ave-Gif-2.gif

Last edited:
Strikes me that Stephanie Pollack is right about IT powering a much-smarter deployment of assets (and maintenance of assets).

Having buses troll the streets to visually ID fares, and having passengers stand at the same old stops is probably wrong, but we can't quite see yet how to replace it.

I love it when smart Republicans hire smart Democrats. Sign me up for the smart party.

Arlington --just remember this and the rest will become transparent:

• A people hire A people as they appreciate the challenge
  • B people hire C people because they fear the challenge
  • C people hire D people because they don't know any better
The head of the T was charitably a C person -- the rest of the T's problems followed essentially intuitively

The T's financial mess is a self induced mess, and the commuter rail is probably a big part of it. Duplication (or unnecessary service) has to be examined, and eliminated. For example, look at the Fitchburg line. The first inbound train leaves at 05:15am, with 12 more running inbound, with the last train leaving at 10:30pm. A total of 13 inbound trains, which equates to one train leaving an average of every 1.5 hours. This is madness! Why so much service? Why isn't the service based on actual ridership levels, instead of a fixed hourly schedule? Why don't they have a couple peak inbound "rush hour" trains, maybe one or two mid-day, one or two around pm "rush hour", then one later night? The service would still be there, but they'd cut costs by 1/2 by eliminating running nearly empty trains all day long. I'm sure that this is the case with most of the commuter rail lines. LOTS of wasted money running empty trains all day long. Sure, it keeps the conductors busy and employed, but that has to change.

look at the Fitchburg line. The first inbound train leaves at 05:15am, with 12 more running inbound, with the last train leaving at 10:30pm. A total of 13 inbound trains, which equates to one train leaving an average of every 1.5 hours. This is madness! Why so much service?.

Because Keolis knows that I am the King Of Downtown Waltham and, as the King, I am entitled to gratuitously excessive Fitchburg line service. At any one moment I may want to indulge my royal prerogative to hop a train so as to gaze in rapturous pride at my serene and majestic kingdom on the Charles....

Because Keolis knows that I am the King Of Downtown Waltham and, as the King, I am entitled to gratuitously excessive Fitchburg line service. At any one moment I may want to indulge my royal prerogative to hop a train so as to gaze in rapturous pride at my serene and majestic kingdom on the Charles....

Lol. Places like Waverly Square and Waltham deserve frequent service but the rest of the line serves mostly 9-5 commuters. Hopefully DMU's can increase service inside 128 while allowing for reduced off hour service outside of that area.

Last edited:
Lol. Places like Waverly Square and Waltham deserve frequent service but the rest of the line serves mostly 9-5 commuters. Hopefully DMU's can increase service inside 128 while allowing for reduced off hour service outside of that area.

^Correct, let them hillbillies out yonder get rush hour service primarily, and provide more service to the busy areas close to Boston. Running almost empty trains from 50 miles out makes no sense.....and make sure the (Burger?) King gets service whenever he demands it.

The only way to fix this problem is for the state to pay the infrastructure bonds. The state mandated the T to take on these projects, the state should pay for them.

The financial problem the MBTA has is fairly unique in the world of mass transit. Pretty much everywhere else major infrastructure projects are paid for with state financing, not by simply dumping the bonds on the transit agency to repay as Massachusetts does.

If one cent of the sales tax is not enough to pay for legislatively mandated spending the share for the T should be raised to two cents.

The only way to fix this problem is for the state to pay the infrastructure bonds. The state mandated the T to take on these projects, the state should pay for them.

The financial problem the MBTA has is fairly unique in the world of mass transit. Pretty much everywhere else major infrastructure projects are paid for with state financing, not by simply dumping the bonds on the transit agency to repay as Massachusetts does.

If one cent of the sales tax is not enough to pay for legislatively mandated spending the share for the T should be raised to two cents.

Mtnorshore -- Unfortunately its not that simple -- the T is in effect a subunit of the State -- the T's Bonds ultimately are the responsibility of the Tax Paying Citizens of Massachusetts

So yes you can redeem the T's revenue bonds and issue an equal value of Massachusetts General Obligation Bonds -- which would transfer from the T's budget the cost of interest on the bonds to the Commonwealth's budget

However, unless the T's Pension system is finally fixed -- the problem of T operating and non-operating costs getting progressively further away from the available revenues will continue

Today even after the changes that effect future employees retirement ages, there are almost as many retired T employees as current. With modern medicine pushing longevities out to the 80's, quite a few may be retired for far longer than they were employed productively. Prior to some recent changes you could retire with as little as 25 years of service -- hypothetically retiring at 43 and living to be say 85 -- this is Greece on Rails

These bozos really cannot get out of their own way. They really cannot figure out how to work faster on the deferred repair and maintenance catch-up projects? How about trying WORKING.

Yeah, but...privatization! Sure, they've got far too many unfilled job vacancies, won't pay the going rate for the higher-skill positions required to manage the tasks for this particular pot of unspent capital so the jobs remain forever unfilled, won't let anyone work overtime, but expect in-house to cover the responsibilities of three people anyway through "teamwork" somethingorother. But these same problems never hold back private-sector organizations, because reasons.

Isn't governance by Pioneer Institute whitepaper grand? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but...privatization! Sure, they've got far too many unfilled job vacancies, won't pay the going rate for the higher-skill positions required to manage the tasks for this particular pot of unspent capital so the jobs remain forever unfilled, won't let anyone work overtime, but expect in-house to cover the responsibilities of three people anyway through "teamwork" somethingorother. But these same problems never hold back private-sector organizations, because reasons.

Isn't governance by Pioneer Institute whitepaper grand? :rolleyes:

F-Line -- isn't the solution to every problem just a 1-liner?

The article in Commonwealth points out some of the the difficulties with the T's employee compensation structure [including the defined benefits pension].

One of the interesting ironies for the T is that its really hard to get the experienced Union guys [and gals] to take the leap to management -- because they can make more as "hourly workers" with their seniority and they have less responsibilities by not having management authority. A major Consequence of this is that the T has to hire management from outside with no direct experience in the T. A Further consequence is that there is a lot of learning curve for the new managers, and then frustrated by the T's "Culture" they sometimes go somewhere else and so the process starts again.

While -- It's certainly good to not be incestous in your management -- And bringing in an outside perspective is great -- But you need that competent cadre at the next level down to actually implement -- the "Next Great thing."

Some fast growing companies have faced the same kind of issue -- senior line engineers didn't want to move on to become management. Yet, they had risen to the top of the engineering hierarchy of jobs -- clearly you didn't want to lose such a person to a start-up or a competitor. The solution for both Raytheon and Analog Devices was to create a parallel track for engineers to become mentors and internal consultants with levels of compensation similar to managers with the same years of service and / or specialized expertise.

This might be a "Lifeline" for the T -- take some of the experienced senior Union folks and to or three years before they retire -- give them a second career as internal consultants -- this could be especially valuable where the T chooses to outsource some functions to the private sector.

F-Line -- isn't the solution to every problem just a 1-liner?

Consecutive ad hominem streak intact.:rolleyes:

The article in Commonwealth points out some of the the difficulties with the T's employee compensation structure [including the defined benefits pension].

One of the interesting ironies for the T is that its really hard to get the experienced Union guys [and gals] to take the leap to management -- because they can make more as "hourly workers" with their seniority and they have less responsibilities by not having management authority. A major Consequence of this is that the T has to hire management from outside with no direct experience in the T. A Further consequence is that there is a lot of learning curve for the new managers, and then frustrated by the T's "Culture" they sometimes go somewhere else and so the process starts again.
That is not what the article said. They have two problems:

1. So many maint positions are unfilled they cannot meet, much less speed up, their timetables for state-of-repair. And so the capital allotted for it isn't being spent, and is at risk of having the funding expire when it's time-limited in the budget or per grant rules. The existing staff are stretched thin and working punishing amounts of overtime, which is an extreme cost drain on the agency. They are being asked to stretch their responsibilities by absorbing more of their bosses' chores...but without working more overtime.
  2. They are not filling management positions for the project managers and other layers who are the people who make the strategic decisions on how to provide relief for #1. Because they aren't offering competitive salaries for the industry. This leaves the very hiring managers who fill the vacancies in #1 vacant.
This has nothing to do with being in too-cushy a job. These aren't bus drivers; these are the highest-skill maintenance workers with full trades education in their field. They can't absorb more responsibilities because they're spread thin and under-equipped to do the job they're tasked for. You can't speed up a tie-changer machine to work faster. You can only hire more track gangs and rent/buy more tie changers...which they're unwilling to do. And you can only add more hours to the maint shift...which they're unwilling to do because they're short on resources to do late-evening shuttle buses, don't want to pay the overtime, and aren't hiring the people or the hiring managers who hire the people in any effort to control the OT. Why in the hell would a skilled tradesperson be interested in a "promotion" to a career-killing beatdown in management getting the (not-) buck passed to them and being expected to show results with three limbs tied behind their backs? Would you do that if your employer offered you a position that was a transparently obvious sacrificial lamb, and you couldn't come up with any trade-up-and-trade-out upside for taking it? Why are the humans in these positions any different?

There is no bigger bounty of experienced transpo works in North America than along the entire length of the Northeast Corridor. It's a very competitive hiring market in both the public sector and the private sector. And it's a very competitive hiring market for both union rank-and-file and non-union upper management. Transit agencies, freight and passenger railroads, private carriers like bus lines, consulting/management firms, thinktanks, etc. all poach from each other all the time. The T has at various times in its history been on both the giving and receiving end of poaching other people's talent. They won't pay the going rate to hire this talent, so the positions remain unfilled. And nobody's going to sign up for the beatdown job in management when a competitive hiring market lets them move up in the world at some other employer.

That's not union politics. That's the freeeeeeeeeeee market speaking loud and fucking clear when it comes to the premium-skill positions. They won't pay the going rate for qualified people in those trades or middle management positions, so they can't fill those positions. Internally or externally. Union or non-union. The ugly comparison for what this buys you is NJ Transit right now. State of NJ hired zero management for years on end; total systemic paralysis ensured; they had a mass exodus of talent emptying out the middle management and trades ranks because the unfilled higher-level positions left no mechanism for relief; and they got plundered on the free market by other Tri-State area transpo employers--public and private--poaching the talent that was left (including their own agency head jumping ship this year to the MTA). Now it's gone completely nuclear on them with the Hoboken Terminal disaster and char-broiling in public and media over how they let this brainrot happen. To point where it has literally swung the election polls and put several Legislative leaders who let this fester in grave danger of getting turfed next week, and will be one of the Top Three defining issues in next year's off-year gubenatorial race to replace termed-out Christie.

This level of inaction has direct consequences. In any organization. Go name one private company where mass understaffing at both the decider level and the front line through unwillingness to pay a market rate is survivable as a long-term strategy or lackthereof. It has nothing to do with lack of motivation, everything to do with employees possessing basic survival instinct against committing career suicide.

While -- It's certainly good to not be incestous in your management -- And bringing in an outside perspective is great -- But you need that competent cadre at the next level down to actually implement -- the "Next Great thing."
Rehash of facts already in evidence.

How are they expected to hire Great Minds™ when they won't pay for them. Again...look at NJ Transit. Their top mgt. got sucked dry by competitive hiring in their own home job market, and they just left the positions vacant or made the next level down cover the vacancies at little to no increase. Their new director was an auto-promoted middle manager who's been universally panned as in way over his head and a sacrificial lamb for the fallout with Hoboken and their abysmal safety record. They had to reach very far down to find somebody willing to take on the suicide mission. That's rationality and survival instinct at work.

You tell me how many Great Minds™ are going to treat that as an opportunity when their Vision™ has never ever been in greater demand across all sectors of the transpo industry than right now? That new and very much non-union MIT whiz kid they hired several months ago to be their outside-the-box strategic thinker...you think he's long for that job if his dept. gets shit for resources and he's not allowed as a hiring manager to advertise staff positions that'll attract anyone worth their salt? Fuck no...he'll get poached within months. Because that's how the free market works.

Some fast growing companies have faced the same kind of issue -- senior line engineers didn't want to move on to become management. Yet, they had risen to the top of the engineering hierarchy of jobs -- clearly you didn't want to lose such a person to a start-up or a competitor. The solution for both Raytheon and Analog Devices was to create a parallel track for engineers to become mentors and internal consultants with levels of compensation similar to managers with the same years of service and / or specialized expertise.
This observation is absolutely useless and anchored in no reality without any context of how well-functioning the organization was at the time they were failing to draw interest in those positions. How many successful organizations with high-skill workers ever end up with a workforce unwilling to better their situation? Pay, stature, experience, resume-building, bolstering competitive leverage? Where on earth is self-motivation to advance ever a problem when the workers have gone through all the trouble to learn their trade?

No...bettering one's situation is the motivation. And when a promotion to management offers so little betterment or way too much peril for the trouble, interest is going to be low. When low interest in promotion manifests itself, it is almost always because the organization is fucked up to hell from top on down and needs to take massive corrective action. It's not personal laziness or lack of motivation to step out of one's comfort zone. It's the free market; workers with leverage will not choose a raw deal when they have better options for a not- raw deal. The organizations that try to over-personify basic-ass rationality as a personal failing...end up failing to retain their best personnel. Most of us have spent time in organizations hitting the skids like this.

The only thing that example empirically offers is that Raytheon and AD likely did something substantial and productive to address a serious problem with their job market competitiveness before it became a destabilizing factor that left them end-stage paralyzed like the other examples we're talking about.

This might be a "Lifeline" for the T -- take some of the experienced senior Union folks and to or three years before they retire -- give them a second career as internal consultants -- this could be especially valuable where the T chooses to outsource some functions to the private sector.
No, it wouldn't. Because rational workers won't trade up to a raw deal that is de facto trading down in grief and stability and aims to trade laterally on compensation. Again...these are not the station attendants and bus drivers. This is maint staff, project managers, procurement specialists, and managers who have to make day-to-day decisions. The positions are unfilled because the terms of employment and prospects within the role are shit. And they are equally shit for the non-union management jobs they can't fill, the Innovation™ jobs they can't fill...and last but not least, the competent private contractors they have been unable to attract. Why do they keep getting single-bidders or no bidders at all on RFP's, inexperienced unknowns, and desperate low-bidders overleveraging themselves to their own impalement? Maybe because the talent is exercising its own rationality.

How exactly is privatization supposed to be an answer when they're not offering positions that'll attract anything to flypaper in any other private context? The private sector isn't any more immune to this trap than the public sector; private organizations fail every day because of this. It's completely naive to give a Pavlovian "well, privatization will fix this" when killing one's own hiring leverage is as fatal in the private sector and guns-for-hire, be they individuals or organizations, exercise the same basic rationality on what's a viable opportunity and what's a "DO NOT WANT" bear trap.

F-line apparently you didn't bother to read either the article in Commonwealth or my post -- or perhaps the endorphins kicked-in too soon

Here's the quote from Commonwealth with my only contribution using bold to highlight

T officials: No new revenue needed now

Agency won’t be able to spend available funds for years
BRUCE MOHL Oct 28, 2016

MBTA OFFICIALS GATHERED in public on Friday to brainstorm a strategic plan for the future, and they quickly concluded that new revenue to fund capital improvements is not the answer to the transit agency’s woes, at least for now.....

Staffing at the T is another major constraint on repair work. The agency is hiring new managers, but officials say they are having a difficult time because the agency’s salary structure is inadequate. “It’s not competitive enough to attract the right talent to the organization,” said Jessie Saintcyr, assistant secretary of human resources at MassDOT.

Saintcyr said it’s also difficult to convince members of the MBTA’s unions to move up into management because the pay isn’t that attractive and the responsibilities are enormous.

This is what I wrote -- same highlighting

This might be a "Lifeline" for the T -- take some of the experienced senior Union folks and two or three years before they retire -- give them a second career as internal consultants -- this could be especially valuable where the T chooses to outsource some functions to the private sector.

Do you note the similarity in the two highlighted excerpts?

No one accused anyone of anything other than the observation that skills were getting lost because of the failure of the non-coms to become officers [military parlance].

The points about two of our long-standing local technology successes was the key to the whole post. Both companies faced the problem that once you were a senior engineer the next step to "bettering ones self" within the organization was to take on a management role. However, there are some people for whom that is not their "cup of tea". The two companies managed to solve the problem by creating titles equivalent to Project and Group Managers without the engineer becoming a manager. In exchange they became mentors to young engineers, teacher of skill to the others or consultants [already on the payroll] who could be deployed on short notice on 'Tiger Teams" to solve immediate problems.

And then I pointed out the virtue of using the expertise gathered through all of the years of working for the T -- as for example a maintenance worker in the bus garages a year or so from retirement could be retained as a consultant to improve either the T's practices or if the tasks were outsourced.

We actually were very close in many respects in the two posts -- you just could or would not admit the possibility.

F-line apparently you didn't bother to read either the article in Commonwealth or my post -- or perhaps the endorphins kicked-in too soon

Here's the quote from Commonwealth with my only contribution using bold to highlight

This is what I wrote -- same highlighting

Do you note the similarity in the two highlighted excerpts?

No one accused anyone of anything other than the observation that skills were getting lost because of the failure of the non-coms to become officers [military parlance].

And then I pointed out the virtue of using the expertise gathered through all of the years of working for the T -- as for example a maintenance worker in the bus garages a year or so from retirement could be retained as a consultant to improve either the T's practices or if the tasks were outsourced.

No shit, Sherlock. "Experienced" guys being offered no pay incentive to take a pounding in a management job aren't going to take the management job. If they want the management job there are other employers who will offer it at more money and less grief. Now you explain why this is some unique union thing when no employer on the planet union or non-union is going to attract promote-from-within demand offering no incentive except pain for moving up?

Now it's my turn to selectively quote the article:

Joseph Aiello, the chairman of the T’s Fiscal Management and Control Board, pressed agency officials on how the agency could speed up the current 25-year timetable for reaching a state of good repair. In an interview after the meeting, he said the T is only spending about $850 million of the $1.2 billion budgeted each year on capital projects, largely because the agency lacks the managers and institutional capacity to do more.
Not enough managers in positions tasked with overseeing SGR projects. No hiring managers to hire the people who work on the SGR projects. What does that buy you?

Erik Stoothoff, the MBTA’s deputy chief operating officer for infrastructure, said one constraint on making improvements to the T is that the agency only shuts down one section of the transit system each weekend for repair work. He said providing replacement service on the closed portion requires the deployment of 40 to 50 buses and 150 employees working overtime. “That has been a pretty significant limiting factor for us,” he said.
Not enough employees to staff a catch-up maint shift, and not enough equipment to staff a catch-up maint shift. To go along with not enough employees on a regular maint shift, and unwillingness to pay them more overtime to cover the regular maint shift. They don't have financial or logistical managers working reallocating resources for this problem, don't have procurement dept. managers giving any hope of addressing the equipment shortages for this problem, and don't have hiring managers to hire more front-line staff to address this problem. Hence, they are too far behind to catch up and spend all their maint budget.

When there are not enough managers to oversee resource allocations and make the hiring and procurement decisions that break up the paralysis on the front lines, and you are offering no incentives to the front lines to become a manager who has no wherewithal to address problems...how does one expect to fill a management position? How does one expect to plug the losses on the front lines from anyone becoming a manager?

Staffing at the T is another major constraint on repair work. The agency is hiring new managers, but officials say they are having a difficult time because the agency’s salary structure is inadequate. “It’s not competitive enough to attract the right talent to the organization,” said Jessie Saintcyr, assistant secretary of human resources at MassDOT.
Offer nothing and nothing is what you get. In the private sector as much as the public sector. You explain how this is uniquely a public-sector union thing and not the terms of job market engagement for every employer on the planet.

Saintcyr said she and her staff are working to develop a new salary structure. She said a newly hired compensation manager starts work Nov. 7.
Oh...so they've yet to do anything about this because the position for doing anything about this has been vacant all this time. You explain how this is uniquely a public-sector union thing and not the terms of job market engagement for every employer on the planet.

Pollack suggested repair work could be accelerated if contractors doing work on a section of the transit system were required to hire private firms to provide the replacement bus service as part of their contracts. That would allow the T to tackle repairs on more than one line during a weekend, she said.
How? You won't pay for in-house equipment and staff. What's going to make the completely unencumbered private sector take a shit sandwich offer diverting equipment from its in-house operations and burning staff OT when appropriate compensation isn't being offered and there is no one to phone up as a liason for because management positions are unfilled? Don't you think this would've been explored already with the LMA bus companies and their own previous commuter rail operator consisting of two massive bus operator partners? Or that the contractors who have profit centers in this kind of thing would've been "Hey...you know, I might be able to help you out with that." No. Offer no incentive and you get no offers for help.

You explain how this is uniquely a public-sector union thing and not the terms of job market engagement for every employer on the planet.

Pollack said outside contractors can be hired to jumpstart capital projects at the T, but she said the Fiscal Management and Control Board needs to give the agency guidance on how aggressively to use consultants. She noted there is often political pushback to hiring consultants rather than employees. Aiello said he was not opposed to using consultants in the short-term, but he said employees at the agency have to be in charge of executing initiatives.
So the private sector's going to save them...but they haven't hired the people who can make the phone calls to the private sector, so they can't actually save us. And we're not sure when that's ever going to change because they aren't filling those positions fast enough or offering terms that attract anyone. But they're expecting the rank-and-file employees who aren't in a position to understand the mechanics of this to step up and do their bosses' jobs without a raise. So, really...the FCMB has nothing for all their postulating about this because they aren't addressing the top-down staffing issue that gets anything and everything un-stuck.

You explain how this is uniquely a public-sector union thing and not the terms of job market engagement for every employer on the planet.

But at least you're emptying a whole weekend's cache full of ad hominems while missing the point and contradicting your own private-sector examples, so it's all good amirite? :rolleyes:◦ⁿ

Speaking of vacant project manager jobs. . .

http://capuano.house.gov/e-updates/eu2016-11-01.shtml

Rep. Mike Capuano said:
The FTA seems to be in general agreement with the MBTA's new project cost estimates as well as its revised project schedule.
. . .
The most important outstanding issue is staffing. The FTA has directed the MBTA to hire a team of qualified professional project managers and engineers to oversee the GLX BEFORE the FTA undertakes the last and most important step in their process – the risk analysis.
^^^(bold/italic/underline/all-caps is Capuano's own emphasis)

. . .
If such a team is not in place by the end of this year, the FTA could do one of two things …

• Conclude that the lack of adequate oversight requires a significant increase in the MBTA's budget for project contingency costs. Remember, the FTA will not increase the amount of assistance they have already promised. The increased budget could create great difficulty for the MBTA in terms of fulfilling its funding obligations.
… OR …

• Refuse to move forward with their risk analysis. This decision would effectively end any hope of amending the agreement between the Federal government and the MBTA.
. . .
So, as I see it the State has five possible paths to choose from …

• Kill the GLX altogether and eat the $800 million the State has already spent on the project.
  • Build the scaled down version without Federal matching funds. This would require the State to spend another $1.5 billion of their own money, walking away from $1 billion in Federal funds.
  • Give up the Federal funds and try to scale the project back further in order to reduce State costs. But most observers don't think that is possible and still end up with a project worth having.
  • Move forward under the original agreement and related plans. These are the plans the State now estimates would cost a total of $3 billion. The Federal government would pay their agreed-to amount of $1 billion and the State would pay $2 billion ($1.2 billion more than they have already spent).
  • Hire the professionals required, which would likely get the Federal government to agree to the MBTA's amendments, then build the scaled down version by spending $500 million of their own money more than they have already spent – and receiving $1 billion from federal matching funds.
I think it is obvious to anyone that Option 5 is the ONLY thoughtful choice for the State at this point in time! It costs the State the least and gets them an improved transit system.
So, the MBTA simply needs to hire a team of qualified professionals dedicated to overseeing this $2.3 billion project and then the FTA will likely approve the amended project.
^^^(the man really likes his shouty formatting.)

I guess we're gonna find out within 2 months how good a real-world hiring manager an inert Pioneer Institute whitepaper saved in PDF format can be. I dunno...maybe by printing it out and folding it into paper airplanes to throw at the Best and Brightest project managers in the land to get their attention to come on over and work at below-market rate.:confused:

Back