Who Wants To Be... MAYOR!

^ Huh....awfully clear distinctions between who, what and where.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Boston mayorality had a better day today than Toronto's did.

LOL...On the six degrees of Kevin Bacon scale I'm three degrees removed from Rob Ford in that my good friend's dad is John Tory, former PC party leader and perennial candidate for Toronto mayor.

Last edited:
City council at-large aside: I'm fairly pleased with how that race turned out, Pressley, Wu, Flaherty and Murphy, with George on-deck. I think that's about as best that could be expected given the final 8.

^
LOL...On the six degrees of Kevin Bacon scale I'm three degrees removed from Tom Ford in that my good friend's dad is John Tory, former PC party leader and perennial candidate for Toronto mayor.

Has he ever actually jumped into the mayor's race before? I've been listening to his radio show a lot over the past week and a lot of people have been calling him to urge him to run. FWIW, he's actually a decent radio host.

Yes, he ran in 2003 and came in second. Then he flirted with the idea in 2010 but nixed those plans before the race really got underway.

Another New York City mayor from Boston.

I think the city made the right choice with Walsh over Connolly. I wonder how long he will last though? I think Walsh is more progressive than his union cred allows people to think, but I don't think we're getting another Menino tenure. My guess is he lasts until Pressley is ready to run.

I also hope that some of the losing candidates like Arroyo, George, and especially Barros keep their hands in the scene. Although I'm pretty content with the at-large results.

By the way, transfer from city-data (BitofEndearment), this is my first post in archboston :)

When was the last time a mayor of Boston LOST an election? It seems like once they're in, they stay until they decide to leave. Menino just happened to want to stay a long time. Are they any recent mayors who decided to retire to avoid being booted out by the voters?

My guess is, as long as Walsh doesn't fuck up in an obvious (i.e. to average people, not ArchBoston people) way, and fosters a cult of personality like Boston mayors tend to do, he can stay as long as he damn well likes.

Will Boston ever see a mayor that isn't tethered to tribal politics? It would take a lot of money on his or her end, Bloomberg style, to overcome it.

Until then we will never see the best candidates (I'm thinking people like Ross) rise to the top.

This is Massachusetts. You have to either be a product of the system or pay high dues to it to achieve any real power here.

EDIT:

I'll couch that with a note on Governors. Governors can bust into office from outside the system, particularly the Republicans as many of them are outside of the "system" anyway. But as strong as MA Governors are, the Great and General Court (the epitome of The System) can always break them and makes a point to do so, sometimes just to prove a point.

So, do we have a price tag on the cost to change the lettering on every sign, vehicle, etc from Menino to Walsh?

.. the balance in Menino's war chest (his balance is in excess of $400,000 according to OCPF .. the state's campaign database.)

^^ First thing I thought of when I saw the headline.

"Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss"

Campaign promise? What campaign promise?

Can't say I'm really surprised that a first term mayor wouldn't want to take on restructuring a bureaucratic agency as his first project. That's a ton of effort for something that's not exactly going to look sexy to voters. I mean, I get turned on by the ins and outs of city agencies, but I'm willing to admit that it's not normal.

Back