Who Wants To Be... MAYOR!

Also confirms that Dorchester is two neighborhoods, not one

Or even three?

The Irish part voted for Walsh

The African - American part voted for Richie

The Cape Verdean part voted for Barros

If a news outlet wants to use it all I ask is to be credited.

In all honesty I made it to see where the Ross voters were, lol. The way each demographic votes was pretty interesting, though not all that astonishing. I particularly enjoyed the places like JP, A/B and the eastie waterfront, where the votes were just all over the place. I also couldn't help but laugh at columbia point going for richie and disrupting walsh's sea of yellow.

This is an interesting map. I wonder if the consalvo vote from hyde park sides more with Connolly in the final election. Perhaps that whole area identifies more with Roslindale and West Roxbury rather than the eastern side of Dorchester and South Boston where Walsh got his votes.

With the caveat that I haven't been following the candidates closely, my instinct is that the minority vote will overall side with Connolly over Walsh in the end. Same goes for the Ross vote. I think Connolly will be our next mayor.

In all honesty I made it to see where the Ross voters were, lol.

Haha, that was exactly what I used it for too. I was having trouble interpreting the numbers (%s) upon numbers (districts/precincts) in the PDF. He won essentially all of the major areas where development is happening.

How do you make a map such as this? Is it easy? Where'd you find the map etc?

I was looking at the new Suffolk poll and something really stood out to me:

Do you own your home or rent? 72% Own, 26% Rent

Does that seem realistic? 72% ownership seems really high. Now, obviously a general population survey would have a lower home ownership rate than a likely voter survey. And this is a likely voter survey. But does it skew that much? Or is that a sample oddity?

Not sure, but one thing these polls generally fail to account for are households that lack landlines. This skews most polling results to the older side, which may be reflected in that home ownership rate.

Maybe. I used to think that too. I got polled twice this season, though, maybe not by the same firm.

Another interesting stat was the "how do you travel most often?"

50% car, 33% transit, 10% walk, 3% bike. So basically 50/46 split car/non-car. And a likely voter survey probably tilts towards car owners.

It's not entirely shocking though. The most reliable voters in Boston are in places like West Roxbury where driving and home ownership are higher than other neighborhoods in town.

I think it's alright. A 50/46 split on a survey that probably tilts towards car-owners means probably 50%+ non-car in the general population. It's not a "commute to work" but rather "general travel" query, which makes it more interesting than the usual census question. Alas, it seems to be the first time Suffolk has asked this question in a survey.

How do you make a map such as this? Is it easy? Where'd you find the map etc?

I went about it super easy, I pulled the color coding out of Boston's ward map I linked to above, and then just went through the spreadsheet of data and colored in Photoshop, basically.

It took more time to sort through the spreadsheet and highlight the clear winner for each precinct then it did to actually build the map.

I generally take a shapefile from MassGIS, convert it to KML and upload it to Google Fusion Tables. Then you can join it with some spreadsheet and it makes a map for you.

You could also open up the shapefile in something like qGIS or other package.

I would think this thread would be busier.

It's a close race, and there is no clear leader that I can tell.

Are these guys so similar that it really doesn't matter who wins?

I just posted a related comment over on the "boston nightlife" thread to the effect that John Connolly seems to be open to making Boston more attractive for young adults. I think he at least recognizes an active nightlife scene is important to this demographic. As far as Walsh, don't expect much since he is a recovered alcoholic.

Last edited:
I'm not a Boston resident, but if I was I'd vote for Connolly. Not that he is so great per se, but that Walsh's union ties are an epic liability. They say Connolly represents "the New Boston" which only time will tell if that is true, but Walsh is unmistakably "the Old Boston" which I think we've all had quite enough of.

There are things I don't like about Walsh but I'm willing to put that aside because I think he's fundamentally progressive and reasonable. Pretty much all the Barros, Arroyo and Ross supporters that I know have now switched to Walsh.

The trouble I have with Connolly is that I can't believe anything he says. He says some nice things, but who knows what he really thinks? He seems to be a panderer extraordinaire. And some of the biggest NIMBYs that I know about are fervent supporters of Connolly. I find that to be disturbing. What has he told them?

At this point, I'm debating between Walsh or a write-in vote for David Ortiz. Because... this is our fucking city!

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the desire to dismantle the BRA from the perspective of the candidates? The reason the mayor of Boston is the most powerful politician in Massachusetts is because he basically controls zoning, planning and development in the regions most important city.

What am I not seeing here? It seems like a major power concession.

Which is why it's probably not going to happen. There will be some reshuffling and maybe a name change but I doubt much will really change.
But I'm cynical.

Back