Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

I would like to see 750-800Footer at SST

SST would probably benefit the most from a new radar for Logan. Winthrop Square and the Aquarium Garage are 2 others that would improve their prospects by easing the FAA restrictions.

If it's really only ~$30 million for a radar, wouldn't it make sense for a few of these developers to band together and make something happen? (or for the city to front the money and then get it all back and more with increased tax revenue on future projects) SST in particular is far enough from the common it could probably go 800'+ like its original proposal. Winthrop Square could have a taper at the top, allowing it to go higher without changing the shadow impact. (potentially commanding higher rents on the top floors to compensate the smaller floor space) When you consider how constricted Boston is already, this could be a real key to the future of downtown development (North Station, through financial district, through high spine).

If anything Massport could sell off some parcels and spring for the new radar for the overall public good.

SST development needs something to define Boston. TIME SQUARE PIECE idea to overlook the Greenway (The Future)
Winthrop Square is a filler but would be nice at 700-800ft to top out.

Harbor Garage would be a diamond in the rough if they could build that out at 700ft TALL AND SLICK---Open up the entire area for the PUBLIC GOOD--
Then Congress Build-out---

Boston would be badass---I could deal with the Seaport Boxes---The only thing we would be missing a good Transit connection from Seaport to Greenway-SST area's

Like I said we have a small group of insecure bloggers on this site that constantly attack other people views that are not agreeable to their own.

I've noticed this, but in this case KentXie is right. You are derailing the thread.

I'm a fan of this----I like the way this tower looks on this spot.

Great rendering! SST looks a lot like a duplicate of the Millennium Tower, which makes me less exited about it.

I really hope 115's "crown" is lit up prominently at night. Every other building in that photo is lights-out at night.

Great rendering! SST looks a lot like a duplicate of the Millennium Tower, which makes me less exited about it.

Dude stay on Track---Try not to derail---

I'm all for the sides of the building being lit up with a nice DIM lighting. Just not sure if the NIMBYS would be for that which I wouldn't blame them.

I'm all for the sides of the building being lit up with a nice DIM lighting. Just not sure if the NIMBYS would be for that which I wouldn't blame them.

Why wouldn't they like that?

Why wouldn't they like that?

I have heard people complain about the Vertex signage and other lighting fixtures on in the city.

If you live in a condo and maybe the lighting could bother you through your windows throughout the night?

I have heard people complain about the Vertex signage and other lighting fixtures on in the city.

If you live in a condo and maybe the lighting could bother you through your windows throughout the night?

At community meetings, some people across the pike from new balance complain about that building being lit up at night. It really doesn't seem that bright to me.

npnew.jpg

I think any new light gets opposition.

Better to curse the darkness than to create one shadow.

ah. Maybe somebody should tell them theres a thing called curtains.;)

Lol I copied MT and stretched/cut it thats why here it looks so similar. The glass on SST appears that it will be a lighter shade of blue/silver and more reflective.

Lol I copied MT and stretched/cut it thats why here it looks so similar. The glass on SST appears that it will be a lighter shade of blue/silver and more reflective.

Ohhh! Haha!:p I'm glad it isn't going to be like that. I've never seen Millenium's glass look so green; I like it!

Proposed amendment to shadow law for Winthrop Square: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/04/09/walsh-proposes-deal-tower-shadows/xN7VXuj0dOkdSl32n5zWBK/story.html#comments

This seems short-sighted, but my guess is in the long run it won't matter as Boston will reach a point where land prices are so high that building tall enough to offset the costs will require new buildings cast new shadows on Copley and the BPG + Common and it will be a factor the State Legislature needs to address eventually. It just doesn't need to happen now or realistically anytime in the next ten to twenty years.

I'm more interested in what impact, if any the shadow ban on Copley would have on building over the Columbus Center air rights parcels. Also, hopefully, this would be a motivator for Simon to do something intelligent with its Copley Tower proposal within the next 5 to 10 years.

I'd love to know what developments this could impact down the line...1000 boylston ?

Also, look at that shadow picture, how did millennium tower ever get built with the current shadow law???

Back