Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

how terrible this city is?

You can't blame this on the city, people didn't even have time to beat it to death in committee. This died because of the market which is beyond the cities control. There are plenty of other projects nationwide that are now dead for the same reason.

this is so frustrating..I was really hoping for this project to be built....I guess I'll just have to wait another 15 years before a nice new tower is proposed

Justin will be very pleased to hear this.

You can't blame this on the city, people didn't even have time to beat it to death in committee. This died because of the market which is beyond the cities control. There are plenty of other projects nationwide that are now dead for the same reason.

And there are plenty of cities that would have had this tower built 10 years ago when the market called for it. My point stays.

^ Your comparison doesn't make sense. Boston's market has never called for a tower of this size, and it's not the city's fault.

Blame it on economics if you must.

And there are plenty of cities that would have had this tower built 10 years ago when the market called for it. My point stays.

10 years ago there wasn't the market for this kind of tower almost anywhere. I agree that Boston has a problem with tall buildings and that this is a loss but given the circumstances it isn't the cities fault it didn't get built.

Now the Boylston Tower on the other hand....

10 years ago there wasn't the market for this kind of tower almost anywhere. I agree that Boston has a problem with tall buildings and that this is a loss but given the circumstances it isn't the cities fault it didn't get built.

Now the Boylston Tower on the other hand....

Exactly. The Boylston Tower and Copley Place can be blamed on the city. 115 Federal had little to no NIMBY opposition (just the occasional shadow scares by the Herald). And if it is to go forward in the future (after the financing is put in place), there's a good chance that it will have few obstacles.

I agree with Van and Type001...this is purely based on market demand, not on community resistance.

Does anyone else find it ironic that when Boston finally has a 1,000ft tower in the works, and finally has almost no resistance from NIMBYs, that it is delayed/abandoned because of something that no one has control over? I don't think we're ever going to get a signature tower in downtown.

how can Copley Place be 'blamed on the city'? It is just now being proposed!

Lets hope it happens one day. God forbid we ever build higher than the 30 plus-year-old Hancock. Which I don't know would ever get built if it were proposed today, not b/c of the economics, just retarded nimbys.

I am still of the conviction that this was a tower that awaited a major tenant signing up beforehand. You don't build commercial towers that size in Boston on spec, unless you have much deeper pockets than Belkin.

To my knowledge, Belkin has no experience in building towers, and Trans National Group has a small real estate portfolio. So even in better economic times, who'd be willing to finance such a tower in Boston without a tenant signed up?

I love the Hancock, but would it have been such a bad idea to do a wind study first?

I agree with Van and Type001...this is purely based on market demand, not on community resistance.

Does anyone else find it ironic that when Boston finally has a 1,000ft tower in the works, and finally has almost no resistance from NIMBYs, that it is delayed/abandoned because of something that no one has control over? I don't think we're ever going to get a signature tower in downtown.
But we do have a signature tower, the Federal Reserve. It's infinitely more recognizable and unique than the dumbed down Transnational Place ever would have been.

Why do people like the Federal Reserve building? I find it ugly and it certainly does nothing for the surrounding streets.

Why do people like the Federal Reserve building? I find it ugly and it certainly does nothing for the surrounding streets.
I guess it's a matter of taste, but I swoon whenever I see it. It's elegant, green (for its time at least), and is truly unique in a sea bland postmodern or boxy towers.

how can Copley Place be 'blamed on the city'? It is just now being proposed!

Woops. I meant to say Columbus Center. Copley Place is safe (for now).

As unterbau said, it's all taste. I'm sure that you love some buildings that others find repulsive. I for one have a neutral position on this building. It isn't terrible, but I don't look at it and say 'Wow, that's a beautiful building' either.

As for Boston ever getting a 1,000 foot tower, it will have to happen in the Financial District, unless Boston gets an overall change in philosophy from these NIMBY's. Until they become more open to the idea of having density and skyscrapers in Boston, the Financial District will be the only place we see buildings above 400' get built (with some exceptions of course, but those will be few and far between).

The Fed. Reserve is nice and sleek and all, but I've always been surprised there's been so little resistance on this forum to the suburban office park base.

So even in better economic times, who'd be willing to finance such a tower in Boston without a tenant signed up?

trump, haha. but it would probably be gold plated with gremlins swinging from 30 story pillars.

Back