Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

why's that funny? I've said before that I would wager that at least 50% of archboston members are female. My proof was the fact that my girlfriend would NEVER make fun of me for spending a percentage of my daily time here.

When you go out on Thurs, Fri, or Saturday, say, "I post frequently on Archboston.com" to the closest hottie and there's no question you will get laid. It's a guarantee.

OK WHO HERE IS FEMALE??? At most 5 or so infrequent posters. Same with skyscrapercity, where there's around 30 females total.

^^I was kidding. I don't know of one.

Alright next time around I'm just gonna go with the all-inclusive "they."

Thanks kz.
I am all for the growth, upward and more dense, in Boston. I agree completely that Boston needs a new tower to focus on. I like the height of this project, but not too hot on the renderings. What I don't want to see in Boston are 150m towers sprouting up every where. I am more concerned with a "Houstonization" of Boston than a Manhattanization. A healthy future Boston is one that focuses on attracting developers to the city core. Urban sprawl really takes away from a city vitality. That is why a tower, at this height and this location, would be perfect.

Still alot of potential in this site, even if the proposed building isn't built.

What's even greater about the potential of the site is that the image is taken at the smaller side of the site. In red is the parking garage area, in orange is the building Belkin would also tear down to create Trans National, and in Green is what the camera caught. I'm just representing how truly large that property is

115Federal.jpg

Wow. That is pretty impressive analysis.

What is the current over/under on this being built in the near future?

Still alot of potential in this site, even if the proposed building isn't built.
I suppose even architecture nerds could get behind this:

Is that what the expansion idea was before the architect died?
Just tear it down. There are plenty of other contrete hulks in Boston that show this style and period of architecture, which, i.m.o, are nothing special.

Is that what the expansion idea was before the architect died?
Just tear it down. There are plenty of other contrete hulks in Boston that show this style and period of architecture, which, i.m.o, are nothing special.

Right now, I am one of the last tenants of the building. We are moving out in September. The building is coming down shortly after that.

This tower is going up. Boston02104, you said you had the latest renderings. Is this true?

Right now, I am one of the last tenants of the building. We are moving out in September. The building is coming down shortly after that.

This tower is going up. Boston02104, you said you had the latest renderings. Is this true?

I really hope you are right, not about moving out. Obviously I am sure you are right about that!
Again, it just seems to good to be true. Not one person has fought this. No complaining that this tower will cause a 15 minute shadow on the commons at sunrise. That it'll cause wind tunnels for pedestrians. That we can't tear the exsisting structure down cause it's old and worth saving....cause it's old. That migrating birds will fly into it cause it is to tall and cause mass extinctions. K, now I am exagerating, but you get my point.
And I never like to compare other cities. Boston is wonderful in it's own ways, but when cities like Philly, Miami, Las Vegas and Nashville(NASHVILLE!?!?) are getting supertalls, there is no reason we don't.

I don't like that they are closing Devonshire St. off, and not for much reason either.

For demolition, you mean? When does this happen?

no, it's part of the plan to dead end Devonshire permanently when this is built.

From page 16:

WinthropSqModel7.jpg

But Otis Street will still be open, so it's not like there will be a sudden dead end in the financial district.

Isn't this stretch of Devonshire mostly loading docks anyway? I remember very few business and storefronts along this stretch (although I haven't been to this area of the Financial District in over a year). I also didn't remember seeing too many people using this a through street either. I can't see it as being a huge loss.

I don't like that they are closing Devonshire St. off, and not for much reason either.

Not for much reason?

Sorry Mr. Belkin, but you can't build here. People won't be able to use the side entrance to Sebastians anymore.

It's the most direct route between State Station and the Leather District, which is a trip I make frequently enough that I care about it being blocked off. But from the diagram it's not clear whether the connection would be removed for autos only (which wouldn't be a big deal based on my understanding of driving patterns down there) or pedestrians as well. I think it's always a bad thing to eliminate pedestrian routes downtown.

It's the most direct route between State Station and the Leather District, which is a trip I make frequently enough that I care about it being blocked off. But from the diagram it's not clear whether the connection would be removed for autos only (which wouldn't be a big deal based on my understanding of driving patterns down there) or pedestrians as well. I think it's always a bad thing to eliminate pedestrian routes downtown.

I assumed it was just going to be closed (or dead ended) for autos only. Unless they put up a wall or fence, pedestrians should be able to just enter the park/plaza and continue on their way. After a closer look, it looks like pedestrians were taken into account as the plaza stretches to meet the end of Devonshire perfectly.

Back