Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Winthrop Square Garage Being Demolished

OH MY GOD YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't build it. I'd rather have a park, and you all know how height obsessed I am. But more than anything I am aesthetic obsessed. This looks like garbage and can't be allowed to lord over downtown Boston.

What the heck? This is bait & switch.

What is there 5 above parking garages in the core of the city at this point? This is not open space so the developers need the height to recoup profits. That's economics.

Focus on smart developments but overall you have to give up height concerning above parking garages that generate money.

These are not open space and never will be.

5 more buildings in the city of Boston is not going to create a mass blanket shadow over the entire city.

Let's read the whole thing first ;)

http://www.bostonplans.org/document...ngs/115-winthrop-square-dpir-vol-1-01-02-2018

Renders are scattered throughout, but models are on 7-4. FWIW, I think it's fine, but it's very very different from what the City signed off on when selecting them. Also, can MP please cut it out with the bar at the top? It looks dumb on MT and it will look dumber with two of them.

Millenium does great work and it looks like the programming for the tower is well thought out. The design is unfortunate but it's also an odd lot. The city will be better with this built but I'm sure all most of you care about is having a 1000' tower so I'll just leave you to your squawking.

The city will be better with this built but I'm sure all most of you care about is having a 1000' tower so I'll just leave you to your squawking.

Hey Mr. New York City, don't take shots at the rest of us when you won't be the one stuck looking at this every day.

Not to mention, by the diagram on page 45 this is clearly under 700'. This is now the front-runner to be the most disappointing development in the history* of Boston.

*(since I was born in 1982)

Inspecting the models, this thing is a monster is size and appearance; I'm especially stunned at how this configuration absolutely dwarfs 100 Federal on pages 326 and 327.

Hey Mr. New York City, don't take shots at the rest of us when you won't be the one stuck looking at this every day.

Not to mention, by the diagram on page 45 this is clearly under 700'. This is now the front-runner to be the most disappointing development in the history* of Boston.

*(since I was born in 1982)

Says its 691' including mechanicals to "average grade". I'm not sure what "average grade" means - perhaps one side of the project is on higher ground than the other so they average the two out?

Absolutely hideous. Holy fuck it's 45 Stuart Street on steroids. How does Boston keep getting these awful awful designs? It literally looks like the cheapest furniture you can buy at IKEA and then assembled incorrectly. And no the shape of the plot is no excuse. You can create a podium at the lower level using the awkward shape but then above the podium, you can build the tower to whatever shape you want.

Handel Architects did so well with MP. What happened?

That is a disappointment.

Oh no. This thing could literally ruin Boston’s skyline forever. That’s the importance of this parcel. The location and height could either make our skyline look amazing or like trash for the rest of time.

That being said how many times did I tell you guys we hadn’t seen the final version yet and nobody even batted an eye. Surpriseeee. Didn’t know it would be that bad though yikes. Yes we know height isn’t everything but specifically placed tall buildings define a city’s look, character, and style. This screams we suck at architecture and we’re terrified of being iconic when it comes to high rises. Slow clap**

Why can’t we just go back to the first Accordia plan. That was iconic. This is ass garbage.

This is hideous. Can the city push back on the facade?!

Please email Casey Hines at City Hall and let her know that this is NOT OK.

casey.a.hines@boston.gov

Here's mine:
Hi Casey,
Now that the newest iteration is out for the Winthrop Square Tower, I am writing to say that I take back the earlier support I showed for this tower. The new design is a complete bait and switch, with no resemblance to the original proposal. It is both tacky and ill-proportioned. As my personal concerns generally regard the aesthetics of Boston, I will be disgusted if this gets built in its newest form.

Here is a link to the discussion on archboston.com. It is unfavorable, to say the least, and up until now this was a crowd of the project's biggest supporters: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?p=310157#post310157

Boston deserves better than this permanent blight. One of the original criteria for this tower was iconic architecture. It is now anything but iconic. If City Hall allows this to be built it would be embarrassing, and a signal to me that is is time to find a new city that takes pride in its appearance.

I have to say that between this and the proposed reconstructive abomination at One Post Office Square, this might be the darkest day in Boston's architectural history since the 1960's urban renewal travesties. I have never been more disappointed in a developer's plan for Boston. Please send this one back to the drawing board. There are no redeeming qualities here.

Thanks,
David

EDIT: Just caught the "is is". Too bad. I thought it was a decent enough message, but typos don't help.

I followed up with a second message to Casey, since near the back of the pdf I saw that I am cited as having written a letter of support. This is true, I wrote the letter supporting the original proposal. I feel dirty having my name attached to the current one.

I don't hate it, I think they were trying to incorporate some of the color of the Accordia proposal so that it's not just another blue box skyscraper. They want to use the copper tones to stand out.

The massing has issues and I hope they refine that, but I’m happy it’s not just blue glass.

It doesn't even look like a building nor any sort of containment of living organisms. Actually, this doesn't look like it belongs in our solar system. Like, what the hell is that thing?

But hey, less additional shadows that no one would have noticed in the first place had they not been informed.

In case you're wondering what the height is:

"The Project’s zoning height of approximately 664 feet (710’ AMSL) is consistent with the operating guidelines provided by Massport and the technical review provided by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which has set various points of the Project site at 701-720 feet AMSL. The Project’s height fits within this upper limit to avoid any operational changes in departures or arrivals at Logan International Airport. The FAA is currently conducting its public review period for this Aeronautical Study (see Attachment A). The zoning height will be used throughout the remainder of the document to describe the height, except as noted."

So this will be shorter than MT.

Good god... what has Handel done?!

f765H66h.png

B6hlk2Zh.png

dV8y4Bqh.png

8pBNVFJh.png

oogryiyh.png

aO3LmAUh.png

kEbMoXJh.png

7iVImO6h.png

AECW7lfh.png