Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

A pretty good measure of the relative structural complexities of the two projects, eh?

Perhaps also a measure of the fact that Millennium Tower had a pre-dug pit...

WSQ is using simultaneous up/down construction. It's tough to compare these.

Meanwhile, I went back to look at the MTower thread. Looks like it took MTower exactly 5 months (Feb. 2014-June 2014) to "get out of the pit," that is, to finish pouring the foundation/garage substructure and starting with above-grade floors.

In comparison, we're now in the 8th month (they began foundation work in Oct. 2018, it looks like) since 115 Winthrop Sq. has been "in the pit."

Huh? Have they even started with the actual digging yet? For MT, the hole was already 80-90% there, and then the site sat vacant for a few years. When they resumed work with the new design, weren't they substantially further along than they are today with this one?

Whatever, it can take as long as it needs. This is a really fun project to watch right now if you're a heavy machine enthusiast... the balcony of the building next door is a great vantage point to watch this project and will be for a few more months until it starts to go skyward.

Huh? Have they even started with the actual digging yet? For MT, the hole was already 80-90% there, and then the site sat vacant for a few years. When they resumed work with the new design, weren't they substantially further along than they are today with this one?

I think you're overanalyzing a very simple comparison I was trying to make. As folks have pointed out, it's an apples-to-oranges scenario in the first place--except, all I'm doing is merely pointing that, it took MTower 5 months to get from the bottom of the pit to pouring floors above-grade, whereas this project--for a variety of reasons--looks like it will be at minimum double that, in terms of starting work in the excavated area to pouring the 1st above-grade floor.

...... all I'm doing is merely pointing that, it took MTower 5 months to get from the bottom of the pit to pouring floors above-grade, whereas this project--for a variety of reasons--looks like it will be at minimum double that......

How long did it take them to dig the hole before they stopped work for 5 years? Isn't that part of it? How exactly am I the one overanalyzing this when you're the one trying to compare apples to oranges?

I work at 100 Summer St and noticed them installing a camera on the shorter building next door on Federal St.

How long did it take them to dig the hole before they stopped work for 5 years? Isn't that part of it? How exactly am I the one overanalyzing this when you're the one trying to compare apples to oranges?

I worked at 75 Federal at the time and had a view looking into the Filene's hole. They spent months (at least 4-5) digging before work was shut down.

I think you're overanalyzing a very simple comparison I was trying to make. As folks have pointed out, it's an apples-to-oranges scenario in the first place--except, all I'm doing is merely pointing that, it took MTower 5 months to get from the bottom of the pit to pouring floors above-grade, whereas this project--for a variety of reasons--looks like it will be at minimum double that, in terms of starting work in the excavated area to pouring the 1st above-grade floor.

So doesn't that mean we don't start the timer on this one until the foundation is actually fully dug to the bottom of the pit? :confused:

^^From what DD showed us a few months ago, it should get out of the ground before the digging is fully complete.

So doesn't that mean we don't start the timer on this one until the foundation is actually fully dug to the bottom of the pit? :confused:

Ah, good point--I assumed it already was! Again, I was trying to make a very simple comparison: leaving aside the vast differences in structural design/complexity and construction technique, I was merely trying to compare how long from when both projects were at the bottom of their pits until they emerge above grade. Somehow that got garbled though...

Anyone see a dig site lately?
Who cares it's the tallest damn thing gonna be built for the next 4 decades....

Anyone see a dig site lately?
Who cares it's the tallest damn thing gonna be built for the next 4 decades....

I watched them working on this last night at 9:30 pm from the back deck on 133 Federal (Boloco side). It does look like digging might be going on. It's a very busy site for sure.

I'm sorry, but how exactly is this project creating 2,700 new jobs? It takes maybe 20 people to operate this tower.

I'm sorry, but how exactly is this project creating 2,700 new jobs? It takes maybe 20 people to operate this tower.

Easy. The developers are counting the people who will work in the office section, along with the much lesser numbers of those who work the retail outlets in the building. They might all be working somewhere else now, but when the tower is complete and all the office and retail is filled, voila, there will be 2700 new jobs that weren't there at this spot, when the garage was there. ;)

The website has a video which includes the connector now. Looks great.

Explains how this project has 2500 construction jobs, 2700 permanent jobs, money towards old colony public housing, orient heights, china town, money towards the emerald necklace etc..
https://winthropcenter.com/wp-content/themes/winthrop/assets/img/1218_DEIRDPIR.compressed.pdf

Screen grab

They also included this. First official map with glx?

The newly built Old Colony Housing is nicer than most condos I've seen. Must be nice to live in new construction in the city of Boston for free/reduced rent.

Back