Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

One of my favorite things about this project is brand new 2020 being wedged in alongside the late 1800's just across the street. It is commonplace in Boston, but it is very rare elsewhere.

It's Boston, London, New York... most cities either all-new, all-old and protected (Paris and most Euro cities) or had old stuff destroyed by nature (San Francisco) or urban renewal.

This type of juxtaposition is also pretty common in Philadelphia and probably Montreal. After that maybe DC, Baltimore, parts of Chicago.... How about Shanghai? Beijing? Istanbul? The list is short but certainly not exclusive.

shanghai for sure. most of it was obliterated in WWII but there are parts of frankfurt where you get the side-by-side contrast of very old and brand spanking new.

One of my favorite things about this project is brand new 2020 being wedged in alongside the late 1800's just across the street. It is commonplace in Boston, but it is very rare elsewhere.

It's certainly true that it's the late 1800s--but to be more precise, 1 Winthrop (1873), 20 Winthrop (1873), and 10 Winthrop (1875) are just a mere trio (admittedly, a very handsome trio) embedded among the dozens of glorious High Victorian mercantile office buildings built in the immediate aftermath of the Great Boston Fire. They're all over DTX and PO Sq.

If the Boston economy hadn't been so . . . smokin' hot . . . in the early 1870s in the first place, does the venture capital choose to rebuild so aggressively? And as tragic as the fire was, its timing, specifically the way it literally cleared space for buildings that could exploit the Second Industrial Revolution then underway, was rather serendipitous.

[Given that the Great Chicago Fire happened only a year earlier, I wonder if anyone's ever done a serious book-length comparative study...]

Philly, Chicago, NYC and London came to mind as well. It is definitely a short list that integrates the old and new side by side.

shanghai for sure. most of it was obliterated in WWII but there are parts of frankfurt where you get the side-by-side contrast of very old and brand spanking new.
Shanghai is actually an interesting contrast.

The spectacular highrise development you typically see is in Lujiazui, across the harbor from The Bund.

There is actually a lot (I was surprised) of pre-war Shanghai still extant as vibrant neighborhoods in the old city core (British Concession, French Concession, The Bund, Yu Garden, Jewish Ghetto)

• So this top down method... I feel like we’ve got a ways to go before things move upward.

• So this top down method... I feel like we’ve got a ways to go before things move upward.

I've always been curious about how the concrete cores of top-down construction work... or how they start the first few levels in the first place for that matter

Pardon the cell phone pics, but some sort of concrete slab was being poured and smoothed out on site today. Is this the start of the “top down?”

Also, there is some sort of steel assembly on the opposite side of the site. Could this be the crane foundation?
40CBCA04-580C-4A31-83FD-B7249877D08F.jpeg
F702783E-20CE-45A8-A35F-F6DFBE4859FE.jpeg
070D12F1-B837-4308-966A-DE35BB9842F8.jpeg

Shanghai very well may have the largest collection of Art Deco architecture in the world. The Bund in particular would make people on AB lose their minds.

If there is one Mainland city worth visiting, it’s Shanghai. The French Concession alone, were it in Tokyo or Seoul instead of in the PRC, would be among THE neighborhoods the global crowd chases. Think Kensington or Chelsea.

any up dated renders of both towers , they seem to only show the main tower

this is 100% heresay and i have nothing to back this up (i looked around online), but i was recently told by a fellow architecture nerd that, in all likelihood, they are *not* going to be lighting the crown on this thing.

this is 100% heresay and i have nothing to back this up (i looked around online), but i was recently told by a fellow architecture nerd that, in all likelihood, they are *not* going to be lighting the crown on this thing.
W T F :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

like i say, i can find exactly NOTHING to back this up online, but given the history of boston high-rises/skyscrapers either not even proposing lit-up crowns or upper elements, or bait-and-switching them (i'm looking at you, 1 dalton), it could well be more than just idle gossip. also, when looking at the most recent, revised renders in light of this rumor, the "grooves" at the crown (the parts that were to be illuminated) do seem to be less defined than in earlier versions.

Just saw part of a red crane on a truck by South Station, definitely heading towards here...

Back