Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Yeah, the article was a little confusing, but I took away that Piano was out even on the old design and has nothing to do with the new design.

Way to put some of those commenters in their place. Our opinions almost completely align here. Obviously not so much with transit..... But hey, when you're on my side of the argument, I appreciate that attack-dog mentality!

Way to put some of those commenters in their place. Our opinions almost completely align here. Obviously not so much with transit..... But hey, when you're on my side of the argument, I appreciate that attack-dog mentality!

What the? That comment wasn't aggressive in the slightest. Did you quote the wrong post?

A pleasant surprise to wake up to this morning.

1) Retain 133 Fed? Check
2) Appropriate height? Check (I am confident there will be condos; only slightly disappointed if not)
3) Better design? Check (but could be a little more inspiring)
4) Likely to get done? Check (No major hurdles expected and no neighbors to complain).

4) Likely to get done? Check (No major hurdles expected and no neighbors to complain).

The article mentions Belkin is searching for a co-developer. I wonder if Millennium would bite. Then it would really get done.

Someone please tell Martha to move to Washington DC if she wants a museum city (i.e. one that doesn't change). She exemplifies that "I got mine" mentality, i.e. I moved to this city because of how I percieve as the city's uniqueness and nobody else should change that.

Someone please tell Martha to move to Washington DC if she wants a museum city (i.e. one that doesn't change). She exemplifies that "I got mine" mentality, i.e. I moved to this city because of how I percieve as the city's uniqueness and nobody else should change that.

She's off her rocker. If you look at her profile on boston.com (seriously go look), she's very clearly a crazy cat lady.

Assuming 740 feet is the top occupiable floor and that is a pent house condo that's probably puts the roof in the 755 to 760 range and then does 40 feet of mechanicals sound about right for a tower this tall?

I have a feeling 740 is the height because 800 is the maximum for the spot and they will need just about ~60 feet of buffer from the last floor plate to the very top.

I would assume intermediate mechanical levels. A. for fire water requirements on supertalls nowadays. B. to help separate the uses and combine mechanical space to serve separate uses. Also, if condos up top, I'd assume the lower ones are cheaper and the sound from below would be more acceptable at lower cost than from above (where the real sound travels from) at the highest priced units.

She's off her rocker. If you look at her profile on boston.com (seriously go look), she's very clearly a crazy cat lady.

No kidding! She is literally a cat lady. Wow.

Thanks. I do what I can to temper the insanity over there on the Globe comments.

No kidding! She is literally a cat lady. Wow.

Well, anyone who uses "summered" as a verb in their profile immediately loses any credibility in the discussion of urban design. In my book anyways.

Even if it was only Scituate.....

Too bad the globe doesn't let you post pictures in the comments...

15329151786_7691f44ac2_o.png
^JAYWALKINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!111!!!1!!!^​

I'm really happy 133 Fed is getting spared the wrecking ball. Hopefully it will get a nice powerwashing and a ground-floor redo. The raised plaza and recessed lobbies aren't exactly welcoming, but I like the building overall.

As for the choice of firm... CBT is the crate & barrel of architecture. Solid, competent, inoffensive and classy, but not exactly hemorrhaging innovation.

Last edited:

Can't we get this thing to 800 feet please? I'm sure the FAA wouldn't have any problems with that! Glad Piano is on this thing, not sure if i'm in the minority here but I loved his design on the original proposal.

I loved the original design. We have something similar in a much smaller scale in the Russia Wharf building, but I would prefer for Piano to do something modern and iconic.

He's talking about the Globe comments section.

The commentors there are just...I don't know. They're a special breed. How does adding a skyscraper into the center of our bustling downtown turn Boston into "just another American city". Apparently these people have never left Boston and don't realize that almost no other American cities outside of Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Chicago have any truly thriving central areas.

The commentors there are just...I don't know. They're a special breed. How does adding a skyscraper into the center of our bustling downtown turn Boston into "just another American city". Apparently these people have never left Boston and don't realize that almost no other American cities outside of Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Chicago have any truly thriving central areas.
I don't even bother reading the comments on articles on media websites anymore. It's pointless. Just ruins your day.

Speculating about the design at this point is useless. He doesn't even own the land. This is clearly just a vague model to attract investors/developers/city officials. IF this is ever built it will look much different. Hell, he hasn't even decided how tall it's going to really be!

I don't even bother reading the comments on articles on media websites anymore. It's pointless. Just ruins your day.

Probably the best move. I have a disease...I am addicted to seeing the train wreck that is the comment section of any site I go to. Doesn't matter if it's the Globe, YouTube, etc. It's terrible.

Probably the best move. I have a disease...I am addicted to seeing the train wreck that is the comment section of any site I go to. Doesn't matter if it's the Globe, YouTube, etc. It's terrible.

+1, but for me it's important that the comments have a rating/like system. That way I know I'm only reading the popular ones. Too many dumb people who can't even form a coherent thought (or SENTENCE) love posting inane, moronic ramblings.

Are you man enough to read the comments in the Boston Herald!!!

Back