Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

What a f'ing let down. I guess this is what you get in a city where so many are barking up the tree complaining about shadows, height, wind or whatever it may be. We'll never know what it's like to get new beautiful architecture in this city. We'll just keep getting teased with stuff. Won't at all be surprised if Gov't Center Garage ends up like this.

What a f'ing let down. I guess this is what you get in a city where so many are barking up the tree complaining about shadows, height, wind or whatever it may be. We'll never know what it's like to get new beautiful architecture in this city. We'll just keep getting teased with stuff. Won't at all be surprised if Gov't Center Garage ends up like this.

Please don't put that karma on GCG. Jesus if that gets VE'd as well we might as well find a new hobby. Thats our saving grace when looking across the harbor, as it is an amazing tower. I reallllly hope that stays as is. If it aint broke dont fix it. The thing is I dont really hear any nimbys freaking out about it so I dont see it happening but anything is possible.

Didnt come out good but the perspectives are completely different.

Re: Winthrop Square Garage Being Demolished

Hey Mr. New York City, don't take shots at the rest of us when you won't be the one stuck looking at this every day.

Not to mention, by the diagram on page 45 this is clearly under 700'. This is now the front-runner to be the most disappointing development in the history* of Boston.

*(since I was born in 1982)

wtf..... I spend a beautiful day hiking.the mountains above Malibu, log onto AB and i see this rubbish. This can't be real. It's as bad as Trinity.

This AVA Theater Dist vertical shit need to stop.

This garbage is going on past 50 years. If 1 Dalton and Rowes Wharf is all we can do..... Jesus.

This is the building Boston deserves.

As long as it really is shorter than MT Im happy with it. We can get a tallest somewhere else, preferably by city hall in that big gap in the skyline. Mt is doing a damn good job of being the focal point of downtown for now. It really stepped into that role seamlessly. We just need to petition to get that damn crown lit.

Hey now we have SST to look forward to as well to divert some of our attention. Plus 1 Dalton and those pike parcels are about to make the Back bay our premier skyline anyways.

It doesnt look tooooo bad in that skyline shot I made either.

Good news, it sounds like nobody has told you about 1 Dalton.

I know. I was gonna go back and edit the comment cause 4 Seasons did come to mind and it is beautiful. I'm just so pissed about this one.

So since they jacked up the great hall do we get that mandated observation deck back? I’m serious, that was the deal. They reneged we should get our part back. Matter of fact just scrap the whole thing and start over. That T that goes up the whole tower I’d imagine is a way to make up for the lost space when it was cut down. So now the tower has horrible proportions because of the shadow people. Before it was thinner at the top leaving a good aspect ratio, that’s ruined now. Thanks guys. I hope the nimbys are happy they got rid of a shadow that was going to barely be there and now they have a huge eyesore and ruined skyline to look forward to. I wonder which they prefer? For every action (complaining about minimal shadows) has an unequal and horrendous reaction (turd on skyline). For real I wonder if the nimbys prefer a 24/7 ruined historic skyline vs a couple hours of shadows. If they’re happy with this result they’re terrorists and should be treated as such. This day sucks. Had a horrible day that culminated with changing a tire on Morrissey blvd in 10 degree weather than come home to this. Fml. At least 1 post office square is a huuuuge win and sadly that former turd is gonna blow our new (supposed to be crown jewel of Boston) out of the water. F this. I pray there are more design reviews to come before this is built, which judging by history does usually happen. Help us obi wan your our only hope.
Dude..wtf is wrong with you? Are you off your meds? Please seek some help, for your sake. These nervous breakdowns can't be healthy for you.

And that, my friends, is the very definition of the bait and switch.

Let’s see if Walsh has. Any. Cajones. At. All.

That's some weird shit.

Looks like it was designed around a random bulk purchase of every left over window at the Grossman's Bargain Outlet.

10000 yds of random neon could save it.

Wtf is that thing.

Is millennium broke now, and can't invest as much as they thought? What else can possibly explain this?

And that, my friends, is the very definition of the bait and switch. Let’s see if Walsh has. Any. Cajones......

This is Marty's City Hall now. You risk a lot if you object to it but, sometimes you have to do an unpopular thing to ensure an outcome worthy of Boston.

As long as it really is shorter than MT I'm happy with it..... Mt is doing a damn good job of being the focal point of downtown for now. It really stepped into that role seamlessly. We just need to petition to get that damn crown lit.

Hey now we have SST to look forward to as well to divert some of our attention. Plus 1 Dalton and those pike parcels are about to make the Back bay our premier skyline anyways. It doesnt look tooooo bad in that skyline shot I made either.

You settle. 115 Fed was supposed to be something far better than this. The People have a right to be livid for being shortchanged on transit, architecture, the speed of the process, and the travesties of the built environment.

City says, "we're going for a tower to show off to the world..." then puts up THIS VE'd garbage. Falls way short of the original rfp. You'd expect something like this in a post-communist dump like Belarus. Menino would laugh and shred it in the developer's face.

The morbid process for delivering 390-790' highrises during a time of significant expansion (nationally) is demonstrating (clear) dysfunction.

We can get a tallest somewhere else, preferably by city hall in that big gap in the skyline.....

Except that we won't. Show me where we will ever build that type of height, when the anti-development crowd is done having their say, threatening lawsuits and slashing the last 200, 300' off the top of every tower. It's been studied. If we can't build it here, then where? .....Couldn't top 700' at 1 Congress. MT is very good. But, the evidence suggests Boston has built its last tall/ good things w/ 1 Dalton and MT. I can't believe this thing is less tall than MT.

I’m settling because that’s what we got and there’s nothing I can do about it. So I’m hoping it’s shorter than MT because that’s actually a nice building and does a much better job at being downtowns peak than this will.

Theres still a chance it changes again from now until it’s built, let’s hope.

At least no one outside of this forum will care much if at all.

So, for the bazillionth time, it is not shorter than MT. 691 > 685 last time I checked, but if the laws of mathematics have changed can someone please let me know?

Regardless, I'm not sure why the design changed at all. What gives? I kinda doubt a height change which the developers always knew would happen is the cause of all of this.

So, for the bazillionth time, it is not shorter than MT. 691 > 685 last time I checked, but if the laws of mathematics have changed can someone please let me know?

Regardless, I'm not sure why the design changed at all. What gives? I kinda doubt a height change which the developers always knew would happen is the cause of all of this.

This design seems to have significantly more massing -- square footage per floor. That almost certainly is a result of the height reduction. Shorter and fatter to make the same money in fewer floors (and much much uglier).

I was asking cuz someone mentioned it, thanks for clarifying.

It looks like the leg that goes up the east side of the tower was added to make up for lost floor space when the height was cut down. The 150 million paid was for a certain amount of floor space allowed so this looks to be a way to recoup what was lost. Unfortunately it widens the tower a lot messing up the verticality. They basically chopped the top off, turned it sideways, and added it to the side of the building forming a T to make up the lost space.

I had mentioned a few times before that they had mentioned in the shadow review meeting that the design we saw was not the final design but more of a dressed up massing model to get an idea of what the tower would basically look like. So it didn’t necessarily change because that was never the final design. It just became finalized from what was before basically a nice placeholder.

That being said it can still change from here as we’ve seen so many times before. Let’s hope it does.

Maybe that weird box at the top are the penthouse balconies, similar to Millennium Tower. The visual prominence might be a price-boosting technique for buyers whose wallet is only outmatched by their ego.

It seems to me that when you're marketing 7- and 8-figure condos, "class" has to be one of your key selling points. 1 Dalton has class. MP has class. Brownstones in Beacon Hill and the Back Bay and the South End have class. Even the "Liberty Drive" buildings on Fan Pier have class.

This design has zero class. Building up excitement and desire at a sales office with those renders is going to be tough.

You know a design is bad when you can't even make it look good in the renders.

Back