Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

^ Oh wow, my apologies then. I didn't realize that was an absolute initially. If I were Maahty, I would ask Millennium to make it up somehow.

They already did make it up by beating every other bid by ~$70M. They sort of shut Shirley up--inching within a hair of her nearly ridiculous theoretical estimate of the sites value. Millennium offered an absurd sum for the right to build, for no less reason than they felt they could 'run things' to a considerable extent, and max out the site. They did.

Did they follow the RFP? No. That distinction belonged to Accordia Partners, and Accordia alone. They presented an iconic design with an observation deck.

They already did make it up by beating every other bid by ~$70M. They sort of shut Shirley up--inching within a hair of her nearly ridiculous theoretical estimate of the sites value. Millennium offered an absurd sum for the right to build, for no less reason than they felt they could 'run things' to a considerable extent, and max out the site. They did.

Did they follow the RFP? No. That distinction belonged to Accordia Partners, and Accordia alone. They presented an iconic design with an observation deck.

Millennium was granted their request to build the great hall instead. So they were doing what they were supposed to do, right up until they changed it in this recent revision. I dont really hate the new one that much, Ill never use either, but they were fine until they revised it.

I’m not saying it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that is NOT a typical office lobby. Show me even one office lobby in Boston with that much activation and I’ll buy you dinner.

100 Federal turned out very nice.https://hoodline.com/2018/05/get-your-caffeine-fix-at-new-blue-bottle-coffee-in-downtown-boston

There are several cafes and a huge video screen. Every time that I've stopped in there after a meeting in Boston, it's been quite active and pleasant, filled with people and activity.

News flash: The latest reports are that Millenium was afraid the building could sink like in SF, and the observation deck would end up as the lobby anyway. (I mean Great Hall, oops sorry, I mean Connector)

I'm not sure how bad the homeless situation is but perhaps they were concerned that with too inviting of a space they ran the risk of the great hall becoming a giant daytime homeless shelter with people looking to stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I'm not saying homeless people should suffer in misery outdoors but it seems like a valid consideration in light of the potential negative impact on commercial tenants and condo owners.

They should make it an open air pass through with closable doors, and line the inside with glass to keep the treated air separated, but have it be a real passage. I dont think people will know they can use this towers ground floor as a pedestrian walkway/pass through, although Im sure thats their intention. I wonder if they really plan on doing the fashion shows and other things shown before or if thats out the window too.

Heres the progression since approval:

Uno
millennium-winthrop2-1000x773.jpg

Dos
01.150.08.008a.jpg

Tres

Last edited:
100 Federal turned out very nice.https://hoodline.com/2018/05/get-your-caffeine-fix-at-new-blue-bottle-coffee-in-downtown-boston

There are several cafes and a huge video screen. Every time that I've stopped in there after a meeting in Boston, it's been quite active and pleasant, filled with people and activity.

100 Federal turned out fantastic. It is a legitimately welcoming space (unlike your typical office building lobby) that feels bright and airy even on lousy days. It also strikes a great balance of always having enough people milling about to feel welcoming and alive and vibrant, but also not so many that it's crowded and you don't have any privacy (although I've never been there during the lunch rush). I work downtown (although not in 100 Federal), and it has become my go-to spot for when I want to go somewhere that's not in my office but also not outside.

Every office building with awkward setbacks from the road should visit 100 Federal and take note (e.g., the new Volpe building).

Whats in there that giant artwork display screen, a coffee shop, and some food kiosks with like a food court? I havent been able to check it out, it looks nice though.

What? Just because you overbid for something doesn't mean you can just arbitrarily change the terms of the agreement. This was in the agreement/RFP, if they couldn't pay up, they shouldn't have bid so high.

What? Just because you overbid for something doesn't mean you can just arbitrarily change the terms of the agreement. This was in the agreement/RFP, if they couldn't pay up, they shouldn't have bid so high.

In fact you CAN change the terms subject to city approval. Too many people think the RFP's have the clout of a constitutional amendment. The benefits of this project are 1) getting rid of condemned parking garage and enlivening the space, 2) 150M upfront payment to be used for parks, etc, 3) staring down professional NIMBY class and getting tower built up to FAA limits, 4) increased property tax revenue for city, 5) increase needed office space......1000) Great Hall. People bitching about changing the lobby are people who just like to bitch. Can anybody truly say that would have gone out of their way to see it? Anybody???

In fact you CAN change the terms subject to city approval. Too many people think the RFP's have the clout of a constitutional amendment. The benefits of this project are 1) getting rid of condemned parking garage and enlivening the space, 2) 150M upfront payment to be used for parks, etc, 3) staring down professional NIMBY class and getting tower built up to FAA limits, 4) increased property tax revenue for city, 5) increase needed office space......1000) Great Hall. People bitching about changing the lobby are people who just like to bitch. Can anybody truly say that would have gone out of their way to see it? Anybody???

If it looked like the initial render, yes, I would have made a point to go see it -- at least once.

Can anybody truly say that would have gone out of their way to see it? Anybody???

I think people will go out of their way to see the tower itself. If the Great Hall lived up to its billing it probably could have got them to stay a while. Now it's more likely they'll just snap a couple pictures and move on.

There is already a "connector" next door at 101 Federal. Neither of these connectors are going to save more than 60 seconds so unless you have business inside, I don't see the draw.

Her estimate wasn't ridiculous if Millennium agreed to pay up. The ridiculous estimate was by the BRA. Their stupidity nearly cost the city tens of millions of dollars. I'm not sure why you are mad that Shirley helped to make sure the taxpayers of Boston weren't screwed over.

Her estimate wasn't ridiculous if Millennium agreed to pay up. The ridiculous estimate was by the BRA. Their stupidity nearly cost the city tens of millions of dollars. I'm not sure why you are mad that Shirley helped to make sure the taxpayers of Boston weren't screwed over.

Most likely Squirrely Shirley's motivations were to kill the project. But, its an important point. You can make people pay top dollar for the land, but then you'll need to cut back on the bells and whistles. I remember reading some NIMBY's commenting on the project in the Globe. Their brilliant "idea" was to make the developer build up to the current limits (like 400 feet or something) but still make them pony up the 150M up front! Apparently there was no consideration that the developer would just walk. You couldn't invent some of these people if you tried. :D

Her estimate wasn't ridiculous if Millennium agreed to pay up.

If memory serves, one prescient aB member, in response to Shirley's lofty numbers, posted that such a price might be possible provided the tower pushed up near 780' [the tallest height proposed by one of the 2015 bidders (about a year and a half before the RFP was put out)].

The correct top end price was closer to $90~100M to get an iconic tower (re; Accordia) per the RFP. The theoretical, 'Shirley' limit forces a maxed-out, 'T' or 'L' shaped behemoth.

Millennium knew the City would allocate the $$$ in advance and use the beneficiaries–who'd take ownership of the immense wealth package, refuse to relinquish it–and fight back the nimby's.

Last edited:
Backing out of a deal is a really great way to give ammunition to NIMBYs for future battles. In this particular case, I don't really care all that much. But in general, enabling developers to pull something off the table after construction starts is a really bad idea.

^ No doubt!

And to those who incessantly rail against a perceived development-refusenik-stasi culture in Boston, would you show up a watercolor class with a paint roller and a spray gun?

Sure, but, that needs to be negotiated, no where did I say its set in stone, but, one party can't just change/ignore requirements at whim. I am also all for this project and the benefits we are getting from it - I just don't think any developer should be allowed to change what they agreed to do on a whim (see the Hancock observation deck, etc). They City should at least push back on this to show they aren't push-overs, even if the results is ending up at this same place. Maybe I am still just irrationally annoyed at the uncapped Millennium Tower roof).

Back