Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

the design was an ugly, boring POS to begin with and it remains as such.

I'm just wondering how the "Great Hall" became "the Connector" and now seems to be just a tall wide hallway?

These new renders don't include any of the internal images shown prior to the approval where the side walls of the Connector were essentially huge Video Walls

When you go to the new website

The Connector does still seem to get a significant emphasis, along with the "Passive House"*1 -- beyond Platinum Energy, Gold Wellness and Wired Platinum [probably should now say Wireless Platinum or 5G Platinum -- but no matter]
So after all the "Debby Downers" have rendered it a failure -- I get a rejuvenated perspective from the website

I guess I will watch the construction and wait for the finishes to be applied [including tech stuff] before rendering a final judgement

BEYOND ALL LIMITATIONS
All eyes are on Boston, where this bold new approach to responsible, resourceful and renewable office space for the 21st century is being born. The largest Passive House office building in the world, Winthrop Center is pushing the outer limits of how a commercial building can not only serve its inhabitants, but also a higher purpose and a greater good. The new century demanded it, so we built it.

Sustainability Reimagined
Winthrop Center will be the largest Passive House office project in the world, surpassing LEED Platinum to set the most rigorous global standards for energy and efficiency. Through Passive House’s leading-edge envelope construction, Winthrop Center will reduce energy consumption by 65% of the Boston average. Winthrop will also reduce water use by 40%, saving 1.8 million gallons of water per year.

Wellness Redefined
Winthrop Center’s Passive House ventilation will provide unmatched thermal comfort and superior levels of fresh air– proven to enhance cognition, creativity and productivity. Winthrop’s Well Gold certification will ensure rigorous air and water monitoring in a workplace designed to infuse optimal health, wellness, fitness and nutrition benefits holistically into occupants’ daily lives. Outdoor terraces, healthy food options, circadian lighting options… the list goes on.

Connectivity Unbounded
Wired Platinum certification means Winthrop Center will meet the highest standards for digital infrastructure connectivity, redundancy and resiliency. Around the corner, Boston’s carrier hotel, Markley Group, will provide direct access to more than 85 carries. Smart System technology and Winthrop’s proprietary connexIQ employee ecosystem will ensure that every aspect of the built environment serves employees at the highest level.

At the end of the day its gonna be fine and some other parcel near north station is going to have to be our new tallest one day or maybe even in Kendall in a badass London Shard type of deal. This tower from many angles looks the same height or even shorter than MT so its going to be more of a supporting cast than a new crown over downtown and thats fine because MT is a masterpiece and now itll have a twin vs being dwarfed.

01.150.07.052.jpg
Something hopeful i take from these images. You can't see it in the top render. But in the lower image, the office section appears to accomplish a coupe of things.......
1. Because of the tightness of the rows on either side of the block, we'll never get a full impression of how insanely fat, the lower tower actually (is). In fact, we may not even get a hint of it. Win? It's not until you get up in a drone or aircraft view that the observer learns of the truly immense size of 115 Winthrop's base-- and even then, only partially (top image)?
2. From some distance & vantage points, the base at the West facing side of the tower could appear as a separate building shrouding those levels of the main tower–creating the illusion of an even tighter cluster.
Maybe.
In any case, thanks to the complexities of the parcel and design, the complex probably will never reveal its true fatness. Something i happen to like very much.

^ "The Connector" that moment when the developer acknowledges that they are creating a multi-story building lobby, nothing more.
Jeff -- I think that they still are delivering something more than a Building Lobby -- at least if the PR video is realistic in any way

Globe said:
Soon, a huge concrete floor slab will be poured over a giant metal cage built from the supports trucked in from Canada. After that, workers will excavate underneath the slab to construct the basement, even as they build the first few floors above. It’s a time-saving method called up-down construction.

When?

So when do we get our observation deck back?
:rolleyes:

That said, I actually don't mind the facade changes. Its fine, w/e at this point. Is any of the reduced square footage coming from the residential section? I would think any reduction there would directly reduce the revenue being shared with the city for their sale.

So when do we get our observation deck back?
:rolleyes:

That said, I actually don't mind the facade changes. Its fine, w/e at this point. Is any of the reduced square footage coming from the residential section? I would think any reduction there would directly reduce the revenue being shared with the city for their sale.

SmartSelect_20191101-160624_Drive.jpg

SmartSelect_20191101-160643_Drive.jpg
SmartSelect_20191101-160705_Drive.jpg

Looks like the last of the slurry rigs is being removed this weekend.

IMG_4766 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_4767 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_4771 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_4783 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_4786 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
Beeline -- great pix of the "Big Hole" -- now we can start to concentrate on the the "Big Rise" -- this is going to be a very interesting next couple of years of Big construction -- here and at One Congress and even possibly at South Station

This is going vertical soon.
It's gonna be UNREAL.
(walking through the Great Java n Donut Hallway).

How much does cold weather affect the ability to carryout the work? Are crews able to do concrete pours when the temps drop below freezing? Does it cause any issues with welding and other equipment?

How much does cold weather affect the ability to carryout the work? Are crews able to do concrete pours when the temps drop below freezing? Does it cause any issues with welding and other equipment?
It all depends on how cold you're talking. There are methods for continuing to work in cold conditions, special mixes for concrete, blankets, and containment with space heating, but it is more time consuming and costly. Extreme cold, winds, and precipitation will result in lost time, generally no more than a few days per event. The schedule will be king here though and I am sure they will work straight through the winter with only the worst weather slowing them down.

It all depends on how cold you're talking. There are methods for continuing to work in cold conditions, special mixes for concrete, blankets, and containment with space heating, but it is more time consuming and costly. Extreme cold, winds, and precipitation will result in lost time, generally no more than a few days per event. The schedule will be king here though and I am sure they will work straight through the winter with only the worst weather slowing them down.

What was done five winters ago during the MTower construction, during the most batbleep bonkers vicious February in living memory, may be instructive in this regard... what's a few more tens of thousands of dollars to ensure optimal adherence to timetables, when you're already plunking down a billion-plus?

1. i don't understand the minutia as to why/how up/down construction is really faster.
That's inscrutable.
2. You install piles all the way up to the top of the basement?
That's a bit confusing, but i can almost grasp the concept.
3. Why would you want to dig a hole around so many obstructions?
Seems insane.
4. Then, how do you dig cleanly around the piles/columns of the tower--without damaging them?
That's confusing.
5. How are the basement beams integrated into the piles?
Definitely need to see this process.

Seems so much easier if you dig a hole--save for all the time and money saved by not having to install, work around, and eventually remove the slurry wall bracing. i wonder if that savings makes it all worth it.

Last edited:

Back