Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

yesssss ^^^ i hate that building like poison. anything to obscure, minimize, cover 1 beacon has my enthusiastic vote. that tower is the high-rise equivalent of this garbage that's all over the outer hoods.

DSC_7225 (2).JPG
DSC_7229.JPG

Would I be correct in assuming that what we're seeing here is basically the outline of the Great Hall?

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, but here's mine (opinion that is): a lot of the predictions that Boston would empty out and hemorrhage jobs were based on the view from 6 months ago when covid was largely raging in the northeast while Texas and North Dakota looked safe. Obviously things have changed a lot and the virus is everywhere, especially in places that didn't take it seriously.

Next I'd say Boston jobs in biotech, hospitals, higher ed, etc don't fit for work from home. Tough to develop the covid vaccine via zoom. Since many of these companies are in or near the city, and generate high paying jobs, there should be some continued demand.

I am new to the site and am hoping to have one of you explain to me how Boston is continuing this incredible building boom with Covid changing so much of the way we live and work. It seems most of the new buildings are for housing, because the demand for office space is less due to the pandemic. I just don't see the demand for all the housing unless it is highly affordable and I'm doubting that's the case. All I hear from people who worked in town is that their companies moved out. Who believes that it is going to change, even when Covid is under control? And are there really enough people to fill up all these new towers. Thanks in advance for your insight.
By the time this building is able to be occupied, covid will be over or at least largely over. My opinion is its natural to overreact to things, especially covid. Boston isnt suddenly going to be a pit of despair post covid for ten years. Once its gone, things should bounce back pretty quickly. A long term economic downturn would be be worrisome than an 18 month pandemic

I am new to the site and am hoping to have one of you explain to me how Boston is continuing this incredible building boom with Covid changing so much of the way we live and work. It seems most of the new buildings are for housing, because the demand for office space is less due to the pandemic. I just don't see the demand for all the housing unless it is highly affordable and I'm doubting that's the case. All I hear from people who worked in town is that their companies moved out. Who believes that it is going to change, even when Covid is under control? And are there really enough people to fill up all these new towers. Thanks in advance for your insight.
The first two COVID vaccines that will be approved in the United States are based on a heretofore unproven technology based on messenger RNA. The success of those two vaccines is likely to lead to a veritable explosion of pharmaceutical research that will use messenger RNA to treat other illnesses and medical conditions.

It is very likely that Boston-Cambridge will become a world center for this research. The messenger RNA COVID vaccines are being produced in Andover and Norwood.

WCT.png

With the tower's vertical take-off imminent (I noticed today, in a stroll through Winthrop Sq., that a few sheets of the now-traditional yellow-cage sheathing have been installed), I figured it would be timely to track this down and post. (Yes, I know, it displays the out-of-date tower design, but for these purposes, who cares.)

So, the first benchmark in terms of the surrounding thicket of towers is 133 Fed., 190 feet. If they do a floor-a-week from here on in, then I guess that would be attained by the end of January?

^^^The arrow is a bit misleading as it looks like it's pointed at 160 Federal . This is the building it is referring to, courtesy of emporis.

Attachments

• 1605590490305.png
    1605590490305.png
    870.7 KB · Views: 117
The BCB reference values in the image refer to Boston City Base. The zero datum is mean seal level (MSL). BCB is 5.65 feet above MSL,

Many map users will want to convert the elevations of the contours on the map from the MSL datum to one of the local engineering bases (e.g., Boston City Base, Brookline Town Base, and Cambridge City Base)* To do this, the following formulae can be used:
Boston City Base (BCB) elevation = map elevation (MSL) +5.65 feet
Brookline Town Base elevation = map elevation +5.78 feet
Cambridge City Base elevation = map elevation + 10.84 feet
p. 4 of "Preliminary map of bedrock surface under parts of Boston, Cambridge, and Brookline, Massachusetts"

The BCB reference values in the image refer to Boston City Base. The zero datum is mean seal level (MSL). BCB is 5.65 feet above MSL,

Even that isn't fully accurate when it comes to that map. This is listed at 715.9' but it's really ending up at 691'. The Pregnant Building is listed at 618.5' but everywhere else has it as 591'. It does explain why 100 Summer's height always appeared overstated compared to the buildings surrounding it. It was probably erroneously listed as BCB and is only about 425' above the ground.

Even that isn't fully accurate when it comes to that map. This is listed at 715.9' but it's really ending up at 691'. The Pregnant Building is listed at 618.5' but everywhere else has it as 591'. It does explain why 100 Summer's height always appeared overstated compared to the buildings surrounding it. It was probably erroneously listed as BCB and is only about 425' above the ground.

Im gathering they are adjusting with elevation? The elevation here is about 25-32 feet, so maybe that's what they are projecting?

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one, but here's mine (opinion that is): a lot of the predictions that Boston would empty out and hemorrhage jobs were based on the view from 6 months ago when covid was largely raging in the northeast while Texas and North Dakota looked safe. Obviously things have changed a lot and the virus is everywhere, especially in places that didn't take it seriously.

Next I'd say Boston jobs in biotech, hospitals, higher ed, etc don't fit for work from home. Tough to develop the covid vaccine via zoom. Since many of these companies are in or near the city, and generate high paying jobs, there should be some continued demand.

+1....and DEMOGRAPHICS. The age 65+ group is living longer - - - and the well-off in that group are really living longer and more active.

They want to live near medical centers/culture/restaurants. They don't want yardwork and car repairs.

Urban centers will boom for the rest of this century.

Walked by this last night and realized that actually, the first neighboring building it will pass is this historical one behind the trees. It's not too far off either. 133 Federal would be the next milestone after that.

Walked by this last night and realized that actually, the first neighboring building it will pass is this historical one behind the trees. It's not too far off either. 133 Federal would be the next milestone after that.

Well, yes, 1 Winthrop is just one of several of the much shorter, pre-WWII buildings in the Winthrop Sq. cluster that this tower will rapidly eclipse--also 10 Winthrop Sq., 20 Winthrop Sq., St. Anthony Shrine*, 100 Franklin. They're all 6 stories or less I'm pretty sure... but you'd have to figure out all of their heights as well, before you state that 133 Fed. is the next tallest following 1 Winthrop.

*EDIT: almost certainly not pre-WWII... I'm guessing mid-50s...

Last edited:

Back