Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

The SBA office was in 100 Summer Street, my view was over the former garage, 9th or 10th floor. Now the current tenant is looking at a wall of glass about 10 feet away. I wonder if the rent has stabilized or even gone down?
(David Z. photo credit)
100 summer.png

Fewer, bolder pleats would have done a much better job of accentuating the vertical. This is why Millennium Tower works. As it stands, I think this is a positive addition, and we're very lucky that the pandemic caused the other wing of the tower to be cut down.

DZ, in the first pic it seems Millenium is a good 20 ft taller. Wiki says that it has a height of 698 to pinnacle, so isnt MILLENIUM actiually taller then? I am confused to what is the pinnacle anyway on the Millenium, with the angled crown.

MT is in front of Winthrop from this angle, which is close enough to the city where that still matters more. It's 1-2 blocks closer. It's also about 5' higher in elevation. The 698' is to the top of the lightning rod. The slanted roof tops at 685'.

MT is in front of Winthrop from this angle, which is close enough to the city where that still matters more. It's 1-2 blocks closer. It's also about 5' higher in elevation. The 698' is to the top of the lightning rod. The slanted roof tops at 685'.

Regardless of height, from grade, or actual blah. MT from almost all angles sub the 93S quadrant, LOOKS not just taller but considerably from many.

Regardless of height, from grade, or actual blah. MT from almost all angles sub the 93S quadrant, LOOKS not just taller but considerably from many.

When the crown cladding is done Winthrop will appear slightly taller than it does now, so that will increase its current visual impact. You can see that the vertical steel goes up higher than the horizontal, so I assume the glass will at least match the top of the vertical steel.

Also (many) more views from the north are posted here than from the south. From the South, Winthrop looks taller, such as below. It isn't obvious but if you go into the pic and view it full size you can see that Winthrop's roof is barely above MT's.

IMG_2436 by David Z, on Flickr

The top is looking busier/sloppier than expected. It could just be the lighting, but you can't see all the individual windows in the renders like you see above. Maybe it will also look better once it's done.

1658846452672.png

The top is looking busier/sloppier than expected. It could just be the lighting, but you can't see all the individual windows in the renders like you see above. Maybe it will also look better once it's done.

View attachment 26660

I think that's because they don't open in the render. The same thing happened with MT. Cost of building residential towers.

Back