Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Ha, that's exactly right. I went through it the other day as well. It's a great lobby - but absolutely nothing more. There are 4-5 places to get food, but they have highly limited hours (like 9am to 4pm) - so other than lunch for building workers and others in a tight radius nearby, even those spots are pretty useless.

Ha, that's exactly right. I went through it the other day as well. It's a great lobby - but absolutely nothing more. There are 4-5 places to get food, but they have highly limited hours (like 9am to 4pm) - so other than lunch for building workers and others in a tight radius nearby, even those spots are pretty useless.

Boston, Home of the Bunt.

I also walked through here for the first time last week... It was completely dead and far less interesting of a space than the lobbies at 75 State Street or International Place. Had that feeling I get in the Seaport of "not quite done" in that it was built out but there were no people. Not a welcoming place to linger, either.

I know there was a lot of hoopla when they were designing the tower regarding the lobby but I wouldn't expect much from it nor would I want to go out of my way to visit/patronize it. I suppose if I worked locally I might feel different. In the end, it's just a lobby in an office tower.

I bet it will be a bit busier once they finish the Winthrop Square park, ie the forgotten aspect of this development. Warmer weather should also help, at least for half of every year.

I also walked through here for the first time last week... It was completely dead and far less interesting of a space than the lobbies at 75 State Street or International Place. Had that feeling I get in the Seaport of "not quite done" in that it was built out but there were no people. Not a welcoming place to linger, either.
You can see my photos posted a few threads above. It was quite busy at lunch time on a weekday.

IMG_7185.jpeg
IMG_7186.jpeg
IMG_7184.jpeg
IMG_7187.jpeg
IMG_7188.jpeg
IMG_7189.jpeg
IMG_7190.jpeg

I went back and looked and found the pages just before, and then during the column facade construction (pg. 350-351) and it shows that the metal bracing thats there today is the same that was used to mount the concrete column facade before. The only difference is the column was bare steel before and now either was painted, has fire proofing, concrete, or some other material covering the exposed steel. They could still leave it as is, but the metal that is there is the same that was there before to mount the column facade and not some different decorative element. Hopefully this means they still plan on installing the outer concrete material.

Previous:

Compared to today:

Last edited:
Meant to add that these shots of the almost-entirely-barren lobby were taken at 3pm on Tuesday. Admittedly not "lunchtime," but if that's the best "THE CONNECTOR: Where Boston Comes Together" can do, even on a weekday afternoon (yeah, I know there are a few more quick-bite options yet to open), that's pretty weak.

Meant to add that these shots of the almost-entirely-barren lobby were taken at 3pm on Tuesday. Admittedly not "lunchtime," but if that's the best "THE CONNECTOR: Where Boston Comes Together" can do, even on a weekday afternoon (yeah, I know there are a few more quick-bite options yet to open), that's pretty weak.
I don't think that most companies that have leased space have moved in yet. I'd assume it'll be busier when Deloitte, McKinsey, etc. are there

I don't think that most companies that have leased space have moved in yet. I'd assume it'll be busier when Deloitte, McKinsey, etc. are there
Maybe/likely so, but that only serves to underscore that this thing isn’t “where Boston comes together,” but “the lobby where tenants grab a quick lunch.” NOT what was promised by a long shot.

Maybe/likely so, but that only serves to underscore that this thing isn’t “where Boston comes together,” but “the lobby where tenants grab a quick lunch.” NOT what was promised by a long shot.

Wait for 4 things to happen and then give us your "re-review" in the Fall.
1. The rest of the office tenants move in.
2. More residences become occupied.
3. The park opens, turning the area from an uninviting construction zone to a place for hanging out and admiring the giant new glass tower overhead.
4. Warmer weather, conducive to lazy outdoor activities (ie lounging out in the park once it's open).

Not to state the obvious but they had to make certain concessions to get the thing financed. They’re still probably going to lose their shirt having sold so few condos.

Not to state the obvious but they had to make certain concessions to get the thing financed. They’re still probably going to lose their shirt having sold so few condos.

They are not losing their shirts. They have signed 4+ substantial office leases. They are better at this game than to have set up such a fragile situation that a high-end residential demand downturn (which should be expected every few years), in the long run, would wreck the project. The residential demand will be back in 2-3 years, and they are well positioned to ride it out till then.

Wait for 4 things to happen and then give us your "re-review" in the Fall.
1. The rest of the office tenants move in.
2. More residences become occupied.
3. The park opens, turning the area from an uninviting construction zone to a place for hanging out and admiring the giant new glass tower overhead.
4. Warmer weather, conducive to lazy outdoor activities (ie lounging out in the park once it's open).
Do we know when the park opens?

Back