Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Glad that was cleared up!

Last edited:

Given the site footprint and the need to optimize the leasable floorplates, I predict either: 1) a stout version of the Prudential Building, or 2) some sort of girthy glassy polygon. The park (or whatever they called it), heliostats, roof garden, etc. will be deleted. (I'm not crying.)

I'm sure one of the commercial leasing folks on this site could give you a better idea of the ideal floor profile. My guess is that Mr. Belkin can probably get close to the same net leaseable space in a 700 to 800 footer as he could in the initial renderings. To please the Mayor, the developer will squeeze a flatish 50's Bonwit Teller hat onto the glassy matron. The developer will readily agree, gaining more net space below by shoving more mechanicals above. The FAA will forgive this transgression. Final actual height of proposal: 812 feet. Of course, I'm not saying it will get built.

If something in the 700-800 foot range were to be built with a unique roof line (Not necessarily a massive spire, just different, keep in mind, One Boston Place is different in this way) to simply break the monotony of the financial district skyline, I would be happy.

1,000 feet would be nice, and I (apparently in the minority here) liked the idea and look of Piano's TNP. But Nashville, this is not, and a 1,000 foot tower is not needed to put Boston on the map. Boston is already on the map for numerous other reasons, and a tall building (or lack thereof) won't change that for better or worse.

Something to peek out about the stumps in the skyline there would be welcome though.

NO a 1000 footer wouldnt change the city or put it on the map, but 5 of em would definately get it photographed more and break the monotony. I think TNP got people thinking its ok to go big and maybe it would be a little contagious.

So something tall at the aquarium parking lot isn't going to fly eh? What about the Haymarket garage?

To tell you the truth, I'm not at all that disappointed. I just hope the tower will be at least a good 850ft+ so that it can be the new tallest. And while at it, make a better design instead of just a box.

How about a glass box we have a glass obelisk? Lord knows Boston loves the obelisk. I don't even think it would be cliche, I think it would look really cool actually.

I'm wondering why the FAA waited this long to tell us this. I know some people over there, and I've spoken with them about this project, specifically (albeit years ago, before it was serious). They've had years to figure this out. Were they just waiting for the project to die anyway so they could be driving the last nail in the coffin and not raining on the parade? Did Belkin ask them to do this so he could get out of a bad financial situation without losing face?

That said, throwing out the current design can't really be a bad thing. The most important issue here is making this an iconic building at any height and finding more sites for height in the Downtown area. If Menino is serious about City Hall Plaza (my gut says he isn't) that site would work rather well, as would Aquarium. In fact, those two could work rather well together.

I've always thought TNP had one good angle (from the harbor) and every other angle just saw an ugly box. Every building has its good and bad sides, but this was a very 1-Dimensional building, which is silly in a city that can be approached from all 4 compass points.

Even at 800 feet this building would mean quite a bit, and maybe prove something about how well Boston can do height (either negative or positive). Frankly, we're lucky to have the FAA to shorten projects that could never succeed otherwise. Look at Signature Tower in Nashville, the several supertalls in Miami, or any of the other tall buildings failing in the recession. If this gives Belkin an excuse to build a beautiful, rational, buildable tower, I'm happy about it.

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

this picture is Originally posted by the boston globe
1210931088_0018.gif

What about the Haymarket garage?

That site (along with the former site of the Garden) are the best opportunities for a supertall in Boston.

This unbuilt Paul Rudolph masterpiece would look great across the street from the Hurley:

0411history5.jpg

How about a glass box we have a glass obelisk? Lord knows Boston loves the obelisk. I don't even think it would be cliche, I think it would look really cool actually.

I agree. I think I suggested this in the old board of ArchBoston before the crash that they build a glass version of the Bunker Hill Monument.

That site (along with the former site of the Garden) are the best opportunities for a supertall in Boston.

This unbuilt Paul Rudolph masterpiece would look great across the street from the Hurley:

0411history5.jpg

reminds me of this tower

taiwan_taipei-101.jpg

^ Sure. Chalk it up to an awareness of regional values in terms of aesthetics (Rudolph's proposal was for Hong Kong). It should be noted that unlike Taipei 101, Rudolph's Sino Tower proposal (scroll half way down, after Wright's Mile High) was to be built in concrete.

Another region-specific form, the sadly scaled-back Beach Road proposal for Singapore:

vc161.jpg

Rudolph re-imagined it at 1/3-scale as The Concourse:

174667936_6ed0b93258.jpg

If building high isn't an option in the financial district, maybe developers will be encouraged to build 'iconic' to attract large tenants.

0411history5.jpg

I don't think Boston is ready for another Rudolph quite yet...

We could:

Petition the FAA for another review.
Have the building constructed in another location.
Move the airport to South Weymouth and redevelope the existing airport as "Eastfield".
Move the planned film studio in Weymouth to Menino's new city hall site on the South Boston Waterfront.

ah that sucks. lets just hope we don't get a big glass box...

I agree. I think I suggested this in the old board of ArchBoston before the crash that they build a glass version of the Bunker Hill Monument.

That's a very intriguing idea. I like it. I think it could look amazing. Thats a building that would be very Boston specific. Then maybe I wouldn't have to hear, 'this shot looks like Houston or Dallas' from czsz...

That's a very intriguing idea. I like it. I think it could look amazing. Thats a building that would be very Boston specific. Then maybe I wouldn't have to hear, 'this shot looks like Houston or Dallas' from czsz...

I would prefer a super tall glass rendering of Mayor Mumbles standing astride Congress St. where the Gov't Center Garage is now. We could call it "The Colossus of Loads". It would have a water feature consisting of a slight trickle of water running over those blubbery pendulous lips, and "Jumbletroms" for eyeballs.

Good thing nobody else has any obelisk monuments...Hm? What's that? Oh. :rolleyes:

Back