Winthrop Square Garage Demolition | Downtown

7) Giant treatise on why the FAA is making Boston a 3rd world country (pending)

Thats not necessarily true because the FAA has said in the past that they are willing to give exceptions in certain very limited circumstances. They said this all the way back when Menino wanted his 1000 footer. One single building is not going to block the radar and its not in the flight path so they were willing to give leeway on this site. I did not hear if they even tried here this time. That being said the building has been lowered to 702' which is barely taller than Millennium Tower and basically means our skyline will stay as a buzzcut for the rest of our lives.

Come on people we are so close! Who wants to complete the checklist??

Was Shirley there?

think of your worst nimby nightmare and multiply it by 11... Kressel, Galer, Liz.... Dying grass slander, threats.... you name it.

That these people are permitted to go on these tirades, slander public officials and then go on their way makes me sick.

The process has not only been turned into a public spectacle for mental defectives, it is putting the future of our city and its less affluent citizens in peril. And i don't think i'm exaggerating that point.

What are people still harping about here? I thought this was a done deal. All this over the city's 4th tallest building.

We just have to wait to see what the final design is. Until then we don't know what were getting. The only thing that blows is the height being reduced, thats a major fail. This is THE spot to go "tall". This one spot and then they can do whatever they want in the rest of the city, yet they punted. The downtown skyline is a sea of bland short boxes- as we all know and say over and over, and this was the one spot to shake it up. I could have sworn there was some agreement that they could go up to 775' because of how much money they were giving to the city, I don't know how now they reneged on that. This whole thing has been a clusterfuck for years and hopefully whatever they end up pulling off at least doesn't suck. Thats really all we can ask for at this point. What happened to them giving all that money for the height? I don't get how they can go back on that now.

The FAA height issue is the first height hurdle which brings this down to 700 feet and the next is going to be the shadows which could knock it back further depending on what the new design shows.

Looking at the FAA height map it isn't a great place to go taller than 700. The thousand foot limits are to the West of downtown toward the Hancock and North towards Kendall and just shy of Sullivan Square.

If I had to say where the next opportunities for going really tall are they are north of Government center. One Congress could and should go taller than planned. 500' is way too short for that beauty. More like 750 to 800'

Just wanted to post this here this is the submitted proposal to the FAA for the building height. The original proposed height is 758 feet for the tower with a DNE (does not exceed) height listed as 689 feet. Based on this it looks like the true height of the tower may end up being 689 feet with a total elevation above sea level of 708 feet, but this is not a determination and is still in the review process. Ultimately I think the final height of this tower is still up in the air. FAA determination language guide

Just wanted to post this here this is the submitted proposal to the FAA for the building height. The original proposed height is 758 feet for the tower with a DNE (does not exceed) height listed as 689 feet. Based on this it looks like the true height of the tower may end up being 689 feet with a total elevation above sea level of 708 feet, but this is not a determination and is still in the review process. Ultimately I think the final height of this tower is still up in the air. FAA determination language guide

You didn't check every "point" on there. Here's one with a 701' DNE.
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/searchAction.jsp?action=displayOECase&oeCaseID=329169789&row=0

Thanks David..... i was about to lose my breakfast..... The 701' and the view of this morning's misty skies over the San Gabriel's saved me.

Why was there a meeting on tv last night? Was that scheduled before hand?

I thought this was essentially good to go. Anyone know when we’ll get an update?

Why was there a meeting on tv last night? Was that scheduled before hand?

7+ hours of class warfare on a surreal level.

Councilors walking out between 7:30 and 9:30pm was kind of lame.....

what important commitments do people have after scheduled Boston business?

What are people still harping about here? I thought this was a done deal. All this over the city's 4th tallest building.

Because people who are totally unqualified to have opinions on anything are allowed to insert themselves and their whack-a-doodle thoughts in the approval process.

What Boston needs is an independent legal group that is singularly pro-building. Like the opposing of the CLF. For every request to reduce height, improve access, shakedown for cash for some group that doesn't deserve a dime... it should be there saying the exact opposite and to the extreme.

It needs to go both ways. The city does plenty of shaking down as well. I unfortunately was on the losing side of a shakedown with the old BRA. Its a culture ... it will stay ... lets get used to it.

cca

^^one woman claimed there will be 100 proposals for skyscrapers from South Boston to Mattapan by the end of next week if this is approved.

And we'll be bribed to approve them all.

Galer said this process will ABSOLUTELY repeat all over our most treasured neighborhoods....

Phony shill Zakim claims he's still confused if this will set precedent and ruin his Brahman constituent's lives.

in a city with a massive economic footprint that has built 3 highrises over 525' in 30 years.

Last edited:
I am thoroughly confused. What meeting was this? Why is this still up for debate?

I mean theres definitely going to be high rises going up in the outer neighborhoods, but we already know about them and they have nothing to do with this tower. The rezoning of dorchester ave in southie and old colony ave has the potential for like 15 towers, then dudley square in Roxbury. But none of these have anything to do with this tower in any way. Also pretty much all the towers were getting down have been proposed already as well.

Not perfect but heres a render I made a while ago. Finally am able to get back into my photobucket.

edit re-uploaded

Last edited:

Back