Worcester Infill and Developments

The fountain honoring the chaps who built the Blackstone Canal is now fully working in the park in the Canal district. It’s been well received by some of Worcester’s 800 or so unhoused residents.

CBE68D77-F4C4-4F27-89BA-B640D2B0F89E.jpeg
D74453D8-47ED-44A4-959D-9922D289976D.jpeg
F1DEAA06-BED0-42BA-9564-C57F06E679EB.jpeg

It's not exactly Boston.

Being a small city doesn't exactly make it the burbs either. Nothing about the Shrewsbury corridor fits the definition of the burbs

It's firmly an urban area, just not with Boston 's density
aerial-view-suburb.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. The Worcester Canal District now has some actual water finally visible within it. Too bad it is just a short run that is part of a fountain.

It’s quite nice. The challenge will be to keep it clean. Trash is already starting to pile up.

Would be nice if that left field building was actually built too

Long stretches of the canal with water still flowing in it still exist to the south in MA and RI. I regularly bike the Blackstone River Bikeway on its longest segment (11 miles) which is over the border in RI. There are parts there that are over the original towpath with the river to the east and the canal to the west. Some people canoe or kayak down the river with the current and up the more placid canal. The canal's 200th anniversary is just a few years away.

Last edited:
Long stretches of the canal with water still flowing in it still exist to the south in MA and RI. I regularly bike the Blackstone River Bikeway on its longest segment (11 miles) which is over the border in RI. There are parts there that are over the original towpath with the river to the east and the canal to the west. Some people canoe or kayak down the river with the current and up the more placid canal. The canal's 200th anniversary is just a few years away.

It still flows under the city as well. There was an idea floating around years ago about closing down Harding St. and replicating the canal, as the original flows directly underneath it (but has since been repurposed as a sewer). Unfortunately it never really got anywhere.

It still flows under the city as well. There was an idea floating around years ago about closing down Harding St. and replicating the canal, as the original flows directly underneath it (but has since been repurposed as a sewer). Unfortunately it never really got anywhere.

I’m happy that building is restored. I thought Menkiti had already owned it for a while. So many empty storefronts on Main Street, I hope they’ll get some good bars and restaurants into that area finally.

Looks like Worcester folks may see action at the Denholm Bldg downtown. I assume the funding is for asbestos removal? ( typ have to remove asbestos before demo) Spectrum News

Sen. Elizabeth Warren joined city and state leaders in Worcester Friday, to announce nearly $14 million in federal funding to expedite projects across the state. The EPA selected 14 communities in Massachusetts to receive grants.

"For too long, communities across the Commonwealth and the country have been contaminated, polluted and abandoned,” Warren said. “Brownfield sites are often the result of choices that put corporate profits over people while our governments look the other way. Justice has to be at the forefront of our response to climate change."

The money is part of President Joe Biden's “Investing in America” agenda. Worcester is getting $2.7 million in funding for New Garden Park's Greendale revitalization and the Denholm Building on Main Street.

In western Massachusetts, the town of Adams and the Franklin Regional Council of Governments will receive $500,000 each for a brownfields assessment grant. The Berkshire Regional Planning Commission will also receive more than $2.3 million in funding.

Last edited:
316 Shrewsbury Street...still appears to be under construction, although there's now a hookah lounge and bubble tea shop that are now open in part of it.

DJI_0011.JPG
DJI_0012.JPG

Back