Worcester Infill and Developments

A bit outside of the downtown area, some nice looking old industrial buildings along 280 Grove Street have been razed. Pity:

View attachment 44228View attachment 44229

Current situation:
View attachment 44230View attachment 44231View attachment 44232

This area is getting filled with strip-mall-like commercial areas like the “Trolley Yard” development across the street, so I assume these plots will be filled with more of the same:View attachment 44233View attachment 44234View attachment 44235View attachment 44236
View attachment 44237

Yes the developer is thinking mixed retail and office

Mission on chapel is finished and all u it's rented except the big one

IMG_0769.jpg

Just $4750/month, sounds reasonable.

It's kind of terrible too? It's mostly a massive room with a weird split lofted section, no entryway (those doors seriously open onto the street?!?), and not particularly appealing bedrooms. Plus it's on the first floor in a lousy location.

I have an 850 sq. ft. one-bedroom downtown and I wouldn't trade my apartment for that even at my current lease rate, which is muuuch lower.

I dunno, I just think if you have the ability to pay that rent you would want to live somewhere else.

The property manager says what the owner is asking is crazy, trying to talk him down
Terrible location. Terrible interior and wow that price wtf.

This would be a great unit for artists if it were cheaper and had more bedrooms. There's a niche of folks that would appreciate that layout but it's a niche.

Anywho I'm sure someone is about to take a financial bath on this one.

Terrible location. Terrible interior and wow that price wtf.

This would be a great unit for artists if it were cheaper and had more bedrooms. There's a niche of folks that would appreciate that layout but it's a niche.

Anywho I'm sure someone is about to take a financial bath on this one.

All units have been rented except that one, so.as crazy as the location and price seems, it is working. If they drop the price a few hundred and target some single lawyer or something they might get what they want

A bit outside of the downtown area, some nice looking old industrial buildings along 280 Grove Street have been razed. Pity:

View attachment 44228View attachment 44229

Current situation:
View attachment 44230View attachment 44231View attachment 44232

This area is getting filled with strip-mall-like commercial areas like the “Trolley Yard” development across the street, so I assume these plots will be filled with more of the same:View attachment 44233View attachment 44234View attachment 44235View attachment 44236
View attachment 44237
That is a pity to loose the nice brick work. There was a discussion to salvage but according to an article in the Telegram & Gazette...

Mr. Donahue said the interior of the building was replete with the odor of cutting oil and other volatile organic compounds that had permeated the floors and walls over time.

He said it would have taken significant remediation work and cost to preserve the building.

As a result, the building and all other structures on the property will be razed, after remediation work to remove the environmental hazards.

Hmm, this is going to free up a MASSIVE amount of total acreage of developable land for worcester. This could be a huge shot to really overhaul worcesters image, urban form, density. If they go about this the right way and create dense vibrant walkable mixed use neighborhoods that look and feel new and modern (where not much of worcester does) this could really be a huge turning point for the city.

So I was just looking on google earth to take a look at some of the new development and I noticed the notre dame church that was downtown was missing. What the hell happened? I found articles talking about it being demolished in 2018. I thought we learned not to do this anymore? What a travesty. This is something that happened in 1958 not 2018…

SEPTEMBER 19, 2018

WORCESTER CHURCH DEMOLITION IS FULL THROTTLE WITH CUSTOM HKD BLUE V-575 SS DUST CONTROL SYSTEM​

1701571882316.jpeg

F&D Truck Co., Inc., out of Millbury, MA began the exterior demolition of the the Notre Dame Church in downtown Worcester, MA earlier this week. F&D is primarily using 2 CAT Ultra-High reach excavators, one with a grapple for surgeon-like dismantling (see video below) and the other for sorting steel, aluminum, and other recyclable metals.

For dust control, they are using a state-of-the art custom built HKD Blue V-575 SS to control concrete, brick, asbestos, and silica dust. All of these hazardous materials are closely monitored by strategically located devices surrounding the 2-acre property.”

https://player.vimeo.com/video/302083048?h=e519dfa1d2"

https://www.hkdblue.com/worcester-c...custom-hkd-blue-v-575-ss-dust-control-system/

So I was just looking on google earth to take a look at some of the new development and I noticed the notre dame church that was downtown was missing. What the hell happened? I found articles talking about it being demolished in 2018. I thought we learned not to do this anymore? What a travesty. This is something that happened in 1958 not 2018…

SEPTEMBER 19, 2018

WORCESTER CHURCH DEMOLITION IS FULL THROTTLE WITH CUSTOM HKD BLUE V-575 SS DUST CONTROL SYSTEM​

View attachment 45206

F&D Truck Co., Inc., out of Millbury, MA began the exterior demolition of the the Notre Dame Church in downtown Worcester, MA earlier this week. F&D is primarily using 2 CAT Ultra-High reach excavators, one with a grapple for surgeon-like dismantling (see video below) and the other for sorting steel, aluminum, and other recyclable metals.

For dust control, they are using a state-of-the art custom built HKD Blue V-575 SS to control concrete, brick, asbestos, and silica dust. All of these hazardous materials are closely monitored by strategically located devices surrounding the 2-acre property.”

https://player.vimeo.com/video/302083048?h=e519dfa1d2"

https://www.hkdblue.com/worcester-c...custom-hkd-blue-v-575-ss-dust-control-system/

Yes, the church abandoned it and would not pay to keep it for historic preservation. A development is planned for it and was recently approved and is posted here.

The Our Lady of Mt Carmel right by Rte 290 at the beginning of Shrewsbury Street was also soon afterwards razed in 2019. It was once the anchor to the large Italian American community that lived along Shrewsbury St. The destruction of these two churches was why I posted my comment here in this thread a few days ago.
1701628977117.png
1701629002596.jpeg

Wow that Mt Carmel church was beautiful. So sad that buildings like these are lost forever. Poland and Germany are painstakingly rebuilding old buildings/neighborhoods that were destroyed in ww2 building by building, meanwhile in 2023 were still demolishing buildings like this and refuse to rebuild penn station.

The Our Lady of Mt Carmel right by Rte 290 at the beginning of Shrewsbury Street was also soon afterwards razed in 2019. It was once the anchor to the large Italian American community that lived along Shrewsbury St. The destruction of these two churches was why I posted my comment here in this thread a few days ago.
View attachment 45211View attachment 45212

The church is abandoning its buildings and parishioners left and right and the city gets blamed for it. Very sad

I had been in Mt Carmel several times in the 90s... it was run down as fuck then I cant imagine how bad it was by 2019.

These buildings had no reason to exist in 2023 and they're not easy converts to something else. The land is being put to better use now.

Back