World-class Boston

Choose [b]three[/b] world-class Boston places.

• Harvard University and Harvard Square

Votes: 41 77.4%
  • Beacon Hill

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • Christian Science Center

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Durgin-Park

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Commonwealth Avenue, Back Bay

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Paul Revere House

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Old North Church and the Old State House

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Newbury Street

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Quincy Market

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Fenway Park

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
Speaking of world class Boston, I notice that Boston.com now has a section called Worldly Boston with the sub: The city in the world and world in the city.

The cynical among us might note that such a section in the major daily reeks of an inferiority complex.

The more optimistic will cheer the fact that paper has taken the initiative to help strengthen and grow ties between Boston and the rest of the world, while helping the city shine a little brighter on the global stage.

A realist will note that most of the posts center around either MIT or Harvard. :/

BTW, Am I alone on the Rowes Wharf thing?

Rowe's Wharf: superb and iconic. World Class? Maybe if it gets better connected, its influence extends further into the city, and it acquires additional functions.

Needs a cast of supporting actors.

I'm surprised nobody has included the Charles River parks and recreation, etc. - sailing, head of the Charles rowing, Esplenade, hatchshell, Weeks footbridge. Whenever I host foreign visitors in the summer (I have many friends abroad so this happens relatively often) they almost without exception comment on how well connected the city is to its riverfront - and frankly how beautiful it is. There are a number of things which separate Boston from New York and London, and without a doubt this is one of them.

boston-overview-charles-river-boats-full.jpg

PS: What! And not a single mention of city hall!

I'm surprised nobody has included the Charles River parks and recreation, etc. - sailing, head of the Charles rowing, Esplenade, hatchshell, Weeks footbridge. Whenever I host foreign visitors in the summer (I have many friends abroad so this happens relatively often) they almost without exception comment on how well connected the city is to its riverfront - and frankly how beautiful it is. There are a number of things which separate Boston from New York and London, and without a doubt this is one of them.

I love the Charles, but I think Storrow Drive cuts it off from the city pretty severely. If I was given the chance to remove any one thing from Boston, this road would be it.

Also, BPL? Would this be considered one of the museums that did not need to be listed?

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody has included the Charles River parks and recreation, etc. - sailing, head of the Charles rowing, Esplenade, hatchshell, Weeks footbridge. Whenever I host foreign visitors in the summer (I have many friends abroad so this happens relatively often) they almost without exception comment on how well connected the city is to its riverfront - and frankly how beautiful it is.
Good point; it's especially impressive at regatta time --and much better than the city's relationship to the harbor (in spite of --or because of?-- Vivien Li).

There are a number of things which separate Boston from New York and London, and without a doubt this is one of them.
Though it has different uses, London's riverfront is at least the equal of Boston's. Ditto New York (two rivers) and Paris.

PS: What! And not a single mention of city hall!
Ha! What do you think might qualify as world-class today? The building? The occupants, perhaps?

Please. Storrow is an inconvenience, but as far as other world-class cities go, it isn't that bad. Anyone who sees the blight of FDR Drive every day can only look at Storrow with a degree of envy.

In any case, Storrow doesn't nullify the world class greatness that is, in my mind, the Charles and its relationship with the city.

Though it has different uses, London's riverfront is at least the equal of Boston's. Ditto New York (two rivers) and Paris.

Different uses - yes I agree. But Boston's use as a primarily recreational and scenic waterway is unique.

Pittsburgh has THREE rivers, speaking of world class!

Ha! What do you think might qualify as world-class today? The building? The occupants, perhaps?

I've heard that geologists, climatologists, biologists and ecologists will flock year-round to the surrounding plaza in order to study the unique micro-ecosystem that is the Urban Desert.

But if City Hall were properly cared for it would make your list, correct?

There seems to be some confusion about how ablarc's list was derived. There may be some value in reviewing his initial post. His list is a good one, but I think ablarc would agree it's somewhat incomplete. But our well-meaning efforts to "fill in the blanks" miss the value of considering an informed visitor's opinion about our fair city.

Here's a question: What have we added to Boston in the past 20 years that improves the city's international profile? Three Super Bowls? Two World Series titles? Another Banner in the Garden rafters?

czsz is right to consider the growth of the biotech sector, but is it something that anyone outside of the sciences would get excited about?

Last edited:
The sad part is that we had (have?) two perfect opportunities to add world class space to our city. The Greenway & South Boston Waterfront.

There seems to be some confusion about how ablarc's list was derived. There may be some value in reviewing his initial post. His list is a good one, but I think ablarc would agree it's somewhat incomplete. But our well-meaning efforts to "fill in the blanks" miss the value of considering an informed visitor's opinion about our fair city.

Here's a question: What have we added to Boston in the past 20 years that improves the city's international profile? Three Super Bowls? Two World Series titles? Another Banner in the Garden rafters?

Exactly. People seem to be thinking of "world-class" means "things that are very nice, and that foreign people are charmed and pleasantly surprised by".

I tend to think of it more as what these people already know about Boston, what is so reputationally impressive that it reaches those beyond our shores. Or perhaps it is what ranks among the world's greatest in whatever category it fits in.

czsz is right to consider the growth of the biotech sector, but is it something that anyone outside of the sciences would get excited about?

Most specialized knowledge of what is the best in the world in any given area is vocational. Who outside of classical music aficionados (and proud Bostonians) mgives a leaping crap about Jordan Hall?

More morbidly, one tends to not know about the range of treatments available at Mass General until one is deathly ill.

I agree with the assessment that there is confusion about what constitutes world-class. World-class means top-of-the-line, something that is among the best, that everyone else in the world seeks to emulate.

Boston is not a world-class city. It is a pleasant city, and all of the places people have mentioned are exceedingly charming and give Boston its character. But none of them put it in the league of New York or London. Lincoln Center is world-class; Symphony Hall is, well, quaint.

Boston has never had the vision or the will to be anything more, so you really can't say it's inferior to these other places. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Isn't Symphony Hall considered far superior to Lincoln Center, acoustically?

^ Yes Ron, it's right up there with Vienna's Musikverein. And it's known for that internationally. World class.

So is the orchestra that plays in it.

New York's Avery Fisher Hall (Lincoln Center) can't hold a candle to it.

Boston has never had the vision or the will to be anything more...
Nonsense.

In the time of Thoreau, Emerson, Longfellow, Dewey, Adams, Richardson, Eddy, Sargent, et al., it was the intellectual center of America. In fact, it was known as the Athens of America.

Until Philadelphia took over, it was the center of the intellectual and political ferment that produced the American Revolution.

Harvard has produced numerous presidents, including the current one.

...one tends to not know about the range of treatments available at Mass General until one is deathly ill.
And then ... upon consideration ... one heads for Durham, NC! :p

It still is the intellectual center of America. What else would qualify?

Anyway, people should read the Metaphysical Club if they want to get high off some serious postbellum Boston boosterage.

^^ I wanted to be morally outraged by that...

...but quietly realized it may be sadly true.

Back