World-class Boston

Choose [b]three[/b] world-class Boston places.

• Harvard University and Harvard Square

Votes: 41 77.4%
  • Beacon Hill

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • Christian Science Center

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Durgin-Park

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Commonwealth Avenue, Back Bay

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • Paul Revere House

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Old North Church and the Old State House

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Newbury Street

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Quincy Market

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Fenway Park

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
I would argue that Harvard, MIT, Beacon Hill\Back Bay, the Museum of Fine Arts, Fenway Park, and Symphony Hall are all highly respected world-wide in each of their respective categories.

Many of the other places mentioned here are simply great for American standards. What?s that called, anyway? American elite-class?

paulrevere.jpg

The ol? silversmith wonders why no one thinks his digs are world-class.

It's just a house. Samuel Johnson's house in London and Victor Hugo's in Paris wouldn't make the list, either, even if their personages would. And those houses are, unlike Sam's, originals.

Oops, dumb slip.

I have to admit, the image of Paul with his silver brought to mind this:

SamAdamsLogo.jpg

On the other hand, Peter Paul Rubens' house in Antwerp is a famous tourist attraction. So is Beethoven's house in Bonn, though I think less so than Rubens'.

It's great the way he did Pee Wee without an accent.

On the other hand, Peter Paul Rubens' house in Antwerp is a famous tourist attraction. So is Beethoven's house in Bonn, though I think less so than Rubens'.

Comparatively less to see in Antwerp and Bonn, though. They're star attractions for little cities, sure.

^ Kinda like the Mark Twain house in Hartford.

Though I think Twain's digs would find popularity even in a far greater city.

Comparatively less to see in Antwerp and Bonn, though. They're star attractions for little cities, sure.

One must not forget the most famous house attraction of all, Anne Frank's in Amsterdam. Amsterdam or not, it pulls in the crowds.

True, Ann Frank's house is the star of the show over there. I actually skipped it on my only trip to Amsterdam in favor of liquid refreshment with a lady. I've been told I'm going to hell for that. I did walk by it though, does that count?

Anyway, you can't forget about the Lizzie Borden House in Fall River ( http://www.lizzie-borden.com/ ). Any place voted Travel Channel's "creepiest destination" has to be a winner, right? Certainly screams, "World-Class" to me.

^ Kinda like the Mark Twain house in Hartford.

Though I think Twain's digs would find popularity even in a far greater city.

Hartford's world class attributes (they exist) are almost sad - bygone reminders of vibrancy, class, importance, optimism, confidence.

For that reason I chose those whose absence would lend that sepia tone to the rest of the choices - its principal intellectual/economic engine (Harvard), its best and most unique neighborhood (Beacon Hill), and its only truly world class shopping street (Newbury).

Take away everything else but leave those - Boston is still a fine and functioning city.

^ That way, it would perhaps resemble Cambridge, England.

Back