XenForo Update

who has shown little care for the city or the archBoston community

I understand that some of you are still upset but please relax on the hyperbole.

Do you honestly consider that statement to be hyperbolic? It seemed pretty grounded and apparent to me.

We've done a significant amount of work to modernize this site. With more to come I should say. We've done more in a few months than the previous team did in a very long time.

A significant amount of work? You paid your tech savvy nephew 50 bucks to upgrade some forum software. OK, that may be hyperbole, but let's not overstate this. Moving the forum to XenForo is a far smaller project than you're making it out to be.

I've indicated in the other thread previously that we don't sell photos. Have never done so at UT, a site with significantly more uploads than here, and have no intention in doing so here. And as to selling posts you're kidding right? I suppose I could have spent time working on the TOU rather than upgrading the site. My mistake.

[...]

I wrote nothing about selling photos or posts. You're deflecting again. I can't put this any better than Henry, so I'll just quote him.

@SkyriseCities, It would be very easy to remove the words "permanent, irrevocable, unlimited," from the TOS. I think that would largely address the concern people have regarding content ownership and usage. Is there a reason, not to make that change? If so, I think you need to spell it out, then let us decide whether it's a reason we agree is worth surrendering that level of control over our own work.

That is really simple, no? This could be fixed in about 30 seconds. Or you can continue to obfuscate and ignore our concerns.

Do you honestly consider that statement to be hyperbolic? It seemed pretty grounded and apparent to me.

I don't know about Edward, but I certainly read your comment and rolled my eyes. If it's not hyperbolic, then it it's definitely intended to be incindiary and I recommend trying a different approach.

A significant amount of work? You paid your tech savvy nephew 50 bucks to upgrade some forum software. OK, that may be hyperbole, but let's not overstate this. Moving the forum to XenForo is a far smaller project than you're making it out to be.

And yet it is done and Edward has gotten a lot further along on this project than we were as a community. While I'm sure he had an easier time because of access to the database export I doubt it was as trivial as you want to make it out to be. The upgrade went surprisingly smooth for such an outdated vB we were on.

I recommend everyone take a chill pill and relax. We're in a better place than we were before. If you're concerned about ownership of your own content pre-Edward/CitiesSkylines then I suggest you have your lawyer reach out to him personally to address the issues rather than grind the axe on this thread.

As it stands we have a new TOU and by using the forum since it went up you're in agreement with it (though I do agree communication about changes must be broadcast better). Again, if you disagree, then hire a lawyer and sort it out via the appropriate channel.

All in all this bickering is somewhat pointless.

The TOU issue will be addressed next. Frankly I didn't really think of it as a big issue. Might be a Canadian thing since we don't legalize everything. The TOU has never been an issue at UT. And UT is much larger site than aB is. Until it is looked at let me reiterate we don't sell photos. They are yours. Enjoy your day.

Thank you for your response, and the offer to review the TOU.

Until it is looked at let me reiterate we don't sell photos. They are yours.

At the extreme risk of seeming both combative and pedantic, could you please share your thoughts on the ownership and control of written content created by those who post on aB?

Just wanted to say that I've been greatly enjoying the new software. It's far easier to follow threads now that they're not getting marked as read every time I load AB (i.e. leaving a few posts as unread in threads I care less about). Also having quoted images not fully loading has made a good readability improvement.

Any updates to share on the terms issues people have been bringing up?

Anyone know why the threads keep resetting all the way back to pg 1? Its gotten better than it was before where they always reset, but it still happens enough to be very frustrating. A forum is best when you click on a previously read thread and it brings you back to the last point you had read up to. Most forums work this way including the old AB. I figured Id bring it up because its annoying me and so Im sure its annoying others, but Im sure it fairly easy to fix though, thanks.

Last edited:
Anyone know why the threads keep resetting all the way back to pg 1? Its gotten better than it was before where they always reset, but it still happens enough to be very frustrating. A forum is best when you click on a previously read thread and it brings you back to the last point you had read up to. Most forums work this way including the old AB. I figured Id bring it up because its annoying me and so Im sure its annoying others, but Im sure it fairly easy to fix though, thanks.

I can confirm this. It seems to happen on threads I don't visit often, but then it just happened on this thread and clearly I've posted recently. I'm betting there's some sort of odd cookie expiration happening, but I know literally nothing about Xenforo so I've got nothing.

I think what it does is take you to the first unread post in the thread. If there have been no new postings since you last looked at the thread (and thus no unread post) it dumps you on page 1. At least that's what I've observed.

I think what it does is take you to the first unread post in the thread. If there have been no new postings since you last looked at the thread (and thus no unread post) it dumps you on page 1. At least that's what I've observed.
This is the behavior most of the time. However, occasionally clicking on a thread with unread messages (and thus showing in bold) will take me to the first page.

This is the behavior most of the time. However, occasionally clicking on a thread with unread messages (and thus showing in bold) will take me to the first page.

Are they threads you've opened since the update?

Are they threads you've opened since the update?
Yup. It happened to this very thread right after Stick's post. I would say it was threads I'd initially not actually read, but used the "Mark Forums Read" button on, but then it happened to this thread which I've been an active participant in.

EDIT: Just had it happen again on https://archboston.com/community/index.php?threads/parcel-q1-2-drydock-ave-seaport.5601/. As best I can tell the url from the threads page is just appending "unread" to the thread, and there's logic going on behind the scenes that I really can't dig into. This is a thread that I'm not 100% sure I've actually read, but was definitely marked as read at some point.

The original set up is that you haven't looked at a thread in the last 30 days it sends you back to the first page. This has been changed to a year. Let me know if this is how it is behaving for you.

I was going through ablarc's old posts but for some reason I can only pull up about 60 or so of his 3000+ posts. I get three pages of results and on the third page I get a "View Older Results" button but it brings me to a "No results found." error page.

Edit: Definitely something funky going on with the archives. Tried doing a search for "West End" with the 'by' field: ablarc and it only came back with two posts(!) I tried "Government Center" / ablarc and it came back with nothing.

Also can we no longer pull up a complete list of members? All I can get is a list of top posters or members with top reaction scores. Looking for members with, say, 5 or fewer posts is impossible now?

Last edited:
I was going through ablarc's old posts but for some reason I can only pull up about 60 or so of his 3000+ posts. I get three pages of results and on the third page I get a "View Older Results" button but it brings me to a "No results found." error page.

I noticed as well that the search indexer seems to only be running on new (post-XF) content. Having searchable messages from the legacy site would be great - any chance this can be manually triggered? May take a little while to run but would be great to do.

I'm seeing threads vanish completely. I can still be linked to them (as George was nice enough to do via PM in one case) and they still appear on the front page if they're the most recently updated, but they don't appear in the categorical lists.

OK, looks like it it resolved but just a little awkward. Basically it will show 10 pages with 20 posts per page and when you get to the 10th page, a small "See Older Posts" button appears in the lower corner to get next 10 pages and so on. I would assume that is to save the server to have to call up all 3000+ posts at once?

@SkyriseCities This is fantastic. The same query that was giving me 2 threads from the last month now finds 2 pages of posts, with the oldest from 2006! Thank you!

Back