Yawkey Center @ Dana Farber | 450 Brookline Ave | Longwood Medical Area

kz1000ps said:
Beton Brut, is this being held up, or are things still on schedule?

Moving right along. Slurry for the curtain walls down 30' and they're going down to 70' for the garage. They're cutting under Jimmy Fund Way for a tunnel connection to the Mayer Building (430 Brookline Ave.). Lots of geotech stuff going on to connect the Smith Building garage. I think we'll see a hole headed down by the time the Sox enter the post-season.

Meeting with the new business manager for the project tomorrow morning at 11 (where nothing of interest is likely to transpire, unless you're interested in ERP systems).

Beton Brut said:
Meeting with the new business manager for the project tomorrow morning at 11 (where nothing of interest is likely to transpire, unless you're interested in ERP systems).

The slurry walls are completed, and the geotech work for the Smith connection is in order. Digging commences this week. Trucks start coming on Wednesday.

img0134cl1.jpg

An interesting internal memo about progress on the project -- hopefully they won't fire me for posting this:

Re: Yawkey Center For Cancer Care Construction Update
Slurry Wall Installation - The Slurry wall was competed July 15, 2007.
Material Quantities: 6,200 cubic yards of concrete (11,780 tons of concrete)
700 tons of reinforcing steel
760 linear feet of slurry wall

Concrete Form Work - Since July 15th we have been installing the tops to the slurry walls on the three sides of the job site. Along Brookline Avenue we are constructing the roof to the future mechanical room and the outdoor seating area to the YCCC Building. Along Jimmy Fund Way we are constructing what will become the new vehicle drop off area. This drop off area will sit on top of the wide grade beam that has been constructed along Jimmy Fund Way. Beneath Jimmy Fund Way we are constructing the tunnel which will connect the YCCC Building and the Dana Building at the L2 level. The Tunnel construction is 75% complete and will be completed by mid November. The temporary bridge spanning Jimmy Fund Way will be removed by the middle to the end of November.
Material Quantities: 2,050 yards of concrete
210 tons of reinforcing steel

Excavation: There are 88,000 cubic yards (140,800 Tons) of material to be excavated and removed from the site to complete create space for the parking garage of YCCC Building. Each 18 Wheeler carries 34 tons of materials and there will be 4,100 trucks entering and exiting the site until the excavation is completed.

We have excavated down to the P1 level of parking and are in the process of excavating down to P2. Excavation and tieback installation takes about 1 month for each parking garage level. There are 7 levels to the YCCC parking Garage.

Tiebacks (Slurry Wall Anchoring System): There are 286 tie backs to install to complete the anchoring system of the Slurry Wall. These tiebacks extend outward from the project site, downward at 45 degrees and are firmly grouted into bedrock that ranges from 75 ft to about 100 ft below the street level. The first layer of tiebacks at the P1 level that extend below Jimmy Fund Way have been installed. These tiebacks also extend below the Mayer/Dana building directly across from the YCCC. We have installed 10 tiebacks to date with 276 remaining. In order to excavate to the next level of the parking garage all of the tie backs supporting the current level need to be in place in order to adequately support the slurry wall and the soils behind it.

Material Quantities: 5.5 miles of drilled shaft to install 286 tiebacks.
75 miles of cable weighing approximately 148 tons in the tiebacks
950 tons of cement encasing the cable inside the tie back sleeve.

Since November of 2006 we have worked over 70,000 labor hours on this project. That is equivalent to one person working for 8 hours a day for 35 years.

Beton Brut said:
We have excavated down to the P1 level of parking and are in the process of excavating down to P2. Excavation and tieback installation takes about 1 month for each parking garage level. There are 7 levels to the YCCC parking Garage.

So if I understand this correctly, it will be roughly half a year before they're even ready to start laying the pilings and foundation? If so then damn this project will be a while before anything sprouts above ground.

There are several factors that contribute to the additional time required to get this building up:

The proximity to the MATEP plant complicates things; because clinical imaging, radiation treatments, and a wide array of scientific work will take place in the building, it needs to be isolated from all vibrations. We know from the construction of the adjacent Smith Building in the 90's, that there's ledge-material on the site. Part of the parking plan requires piercing the wall of the Smith building garage to connect the parking decks. This is a LEED (probably Bronze, maybe Silver) project, so that generally takes more time.

More updates as they become available.

Re: Dana Farber Cancer Care Center

So far just a big hole in the ground.

DFCI_20080101-136.jpg

DFCI_20080101-135.jpg

Friday the 18th

img0216ch1.jpg

February 26th

img1851qd2.jpg

img1854wf7.jpg

I think we're almost to the bottom. They continue to install tie-backs in the slurry wall.

Next time you cruise by kz, check out the facade mock-up that is mounted to the Brookline Ave side of the Mayer Building. Terracotta lovers will dig it.

Updates?

Slow going. Final prep for the crane has been happening. There's a boulder the size of a single-family house in the south-east corner of the hole. I tried taking pix with my Treo the other day from the Pan Mass Challenge Bridge (between the Dana and Smith Buildings) the other day, but it was too dark.

As I understand it, the tower crane will be on site in November. I was rapping with the PM earlier today, but didn't ask, because you hadn't asked yet...

There's a facade mock-up mounted to the Mayer Building facing Brookline Ave.

Slow going. Final prep for the crane has been happening. There's a boulder the size of a single-family house in the south-east corner of the hole. I tried taking pix with my Treo the other day from the Pan Mass Challenge Bridge (between the Dana and Smith Buildings) the other day, but it was too dark.

As I understand it, the tower crane will be on site in November. I was rapping with the PM earlier today, but didn't ask, because you hadn't asked yet...

There's a facade mock-up mounted to the Mayer Building facing Brookline Ave.

Thanks for the update, beton. The boulder news blows.

The boulder was expected. There was ledge when they built Smith 15 years ago. Lot's of glacial till near drumlins like Mission Hill.

064-2.jpg

As you can see from Boston02124's photo (initially posted here), the foot of the tower crane is set. The tracked crane (black boom) is removing the last of the gravel and bentonite from the bottom of the hole. I believe the cab and boom of the tower crane will be delivered this weekend. Progress will become visible pretty quickly. We've ordered a lot of steel.

NB: If you look at the extreme left of the photo, you can see the facade mock-up mounted on the Mayer Building, third floor, fronting Brookline Avenue.

Last edited:

Grab your camera, Boston02124 -- the crane is being erected as I type. More happening tomorrow. Two six-wheel articulated cranes are on site for the lift.

Thanks Boston02124!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx2008021.jpg

Here's the crane for DFCI's Yawkey Center. The cab height approximates the final height of the building.

^ How did you do that?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx2008022.jpg

Back