Your favorite bands!

castevens

Reaction score
I'm going to see Dave Matthews at Fenway in early July, and I'm excited. I'm not your typical crazy Dave fan (this is my first DMB concert), but I am really a fan of his music. I like the late 90's lightish rock like Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls and such too.

Hows about yous fellas?

I'm partial to Snow Patrol lately...

I really like their latest album, eyes open.

re

Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, and Third Eye Blind (to an extent) saved the late 90's. Good enough lyrics and soul, and great rhythm and music.

My favorite band of my generation is probably Radiohead. The Bends and OK Computer have been staples in my car for as long as I can remember. Smashing Pumpkins come in for a close second. Both consistently awesome bands that come up with revolutionary stuff consistently. Oasis failed me after Whats The Story (Morninglory) but where great enough to be noticed.

Right now though, I have Broken Social Scene in my car. It's an amazing CD by a band of many multitalented artists who have great indie accomplishments in their own right.

I know, driving my own car and pursuing an urban existence is blasphemy when public transit is everywhere, but a built in CD player and soundproof cabin is one perk I do enjoy about sitting in traffic.

TGSwimFly said:

Is that the CD with "Chasing Cars" on it?

I pretty much forgot how to drive a car after living in the city for a few years without one. I'm now at home in RI driving to and from work every day, and it was actually kind of scary the first couple of times. Well, the other thing is that I had always driven a car, and this time around I have an RAV-4, like a mini-SUV (muuuuch higher off the ground than my old Camry though)

Jazz anyone?

Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Michael Brecker, Al Jarreau, John Scofield, Stan Getz/ Antonio Gilberto, Buddy Rich

Older rock?

STEELY DAN, Frank Zappa, the Police, Santana, ELP, Talking Heads, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, Rush

funk/soul?

James Brown, Roy Ayers, George Clinton, Earth Wind & Fire, Soulive, Prince, Grover Washington Jr.

Newer stuff

Radiohead, A Perfect Circle, Outkast, Kudu, Gov't Mule, Topaz, Sunlightsquare, Ben Folds, Jamiroquai

castevens said:
I'm going to see Dave Matthews at Fenway in early July, and I'm excited. I'm not your typical crazy Dave fan (this is my first DMB concert), but I am really a fan of his music. I like the late 90's lightish rock like Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls and such too.

Hows about yous fellas?

DMB had a song i really liked when i was younger: sattellite. brings back many many memories of being in middle school. I really like a lot of music, but i usually listen to hip-hop for the most part, although i appreciate all types. I like opera, especially andrea boccelli. i like moonlight sonata, though im not sure which classical composer i should attribute its beauty to (Mozart?). and other than that i likefiddy, nas, luda, NBK, latoya london, lil zane, tupac, biggie etc..call me a wigger but i grew up surrounded by them and i am a product of my environment 8)

budman3 said:
TGSwimFly said:

Is that the CD with "Chasing Cars" on it?

Yup. I think it's a much better album than Final Straw, but that was okay.

Pasted from my myspace profile:

Billy Joel, Cowboy Mouth, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jesse Malin, Pearl Jam, The Samples, Crooked Fingers, Nanci Griffith, John Gorka, Cat Stevens, John Prine, Dar Williams, Counting Crows, The Streets, John Mellencamp, Bruce Cockburn, Rufus Wainwright, Ryan Adams, Bright Eyes, Marc Cohn, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, October Project, The Innocence Mission

i like moonlight sonata, though im not sure which classical composer i should attribute its beauty to (Mozart?)

Beethoven. Always been my dream to play this song half the real speed. I can pluck the notes at about 1/1000th the speed.

TheBostonian said:
Pasted from my myspace profile:

Billy Joel, Cowboy Mouth, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jesse Malin, Pearl Jam, The Samples, Crooked Fingers, Nanci Griffith, John Gorka, Cat Stevens, John Prine, Dar Williams, Counting Crows, The Streets, John Mellencamp, Bruce Cockburn, Rufus Wainwright, Ryan Adams, Bright Eyes, Marc Cohn, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, October Project, The Innocence Mission
You, my friend, have fantastically good taste in music. (I can even forgive putting Jimmy Buffett on that list.)

To be honest, I've never heard anything of Rufus Wainwright outside of Hallelujiah

Oh, you check out his work. Great stuff. 8)
In addition to the names I've highlighted, I'll also add Ben Folds. Probably my current favorite artist.

untitled4uv1.jpg

I'm very much a nineties guy. I like modern rock and pop rock (don't confuse pop rock with popular rock). Here are some of my favorites:

Luna, Yo La Tengo, The Magnetic Fields, Air, Stereolab, Spoon, The Pixies, Pearl Jam, Flaming Lips, Ladytron

For me, Elliott Smith's music is about the closest thing to God I have ever known, but he wasn't a band.. In no particular order: Radiohead, Heatmiser (E. Smith's old band), Portishead, REM, the Mamas and the Papas, The Pixies (their drummer is from my hometown and was friends with my older brother), Blondie, Garbage, Grandaddy, Mission of Burma, Moloko, Stereolab, Air, The B-52s, The Shins, The Go-Gos and many more.. Solo artists: Mary Lou Lord, Neil Young, Jeff Buckley, Carole King.. There's more, but I can't think of them now..

Roxxma said:
For me, Elliott Smith's music is about the closest thing to God I have ever known, but he wasn't a band.. In no particular order: Radiohead, Heatmiser (E. Smith's old band), Portishead, REM, the Mamas and the Papas, The Pixies (their drummer is from my hometown and was friends with my older brother), Blondie, Garbage, Grandaddy, Mission of Burma, Moloko, Stereolab, Air, The B-52s, The Shins, The Go-Gos and many more.. Solo artists: Mary Lou Lord, Neil Young, Jeff Buckley, Carole King.. There's more, but I can't think of them now..

Another forumer with good taste.*

Add Elliott & Jeff to my list as well. Also add Matthew Sweet. And Ani Difranco. And Aimee Mann. And Johnny Cash.

*Good taste = taste that is equal to my own. :)

re

Rufus Wainright did an amazing cover of "Across The Universe" by The Beatles and a really mediocre cover of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley oddly enough (even though I think Jeff Buckley too covered "Hallelujah", but before Rufus Wainright).

I'm sure we can connect them all to Kevin Bacon some way or another...

Re: re

budman3 said:
Rufus Wainright did an amazing cover of "Across The Universe" by The Beatles and a really mediocre cover of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley oddly enough (even though I think Jeff Buckley too covered "Hallelujah", but before Rufus Wainright).

I'm sure we can connect them all to Kevin Bacon some way or another...

We can connect them both to Leonard Cohen for sure, as he wrote and first recorded "Hallelujah".

Back