Your favorite bands!

garbribre said:
Except for a brief listing by kz, where's the Motown, R&B, Soul?!?

And what, no bubblegum, glam rock?!

I listen to most anything. Love pure pop as much as I like esoteric jazz, tribal and even...(gasp!) disco. (Nile Rogers and Don Was can produce anything they want.)

And did anyone mention Zappa?
(I'm another product of a college radio, when it counted, in the 70s.)

Hey I definitely mentioned Zappa...I was just listening to "Any Way The Wind Blows" earlier...and speaking of college radio, how about the Mahavishnu Orchestra??

And I'm with you on disco. Most of my musical tastes come from the 70s, because I'm a drummer, and by the early 80s drum machines were pretty much everywhere, and they feel like, well, machines. My favorite drummer was one of a few guys credited with creating the disco beat. I loooove disco

Herbie Mann, Ashford & Simpson, Roy Ayers, Van McCoy, Hank Crawford, Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall", Stuff

Sorry, no glam rock for me.

kz1000ps said:
...how about the Mahavishnu Orchestra??

And I'm with you on disco. Most of my musical tastes come from the 70s, because I'm a drummer, and by the early 80s drum machines were pretty much everywhere, and they feel like, well, machines. My favorite drummer was one of a few guys credited with creating the disco beat. I loooove disco

Herbie Mann, Ashford & Simpson, Roy Ayers, Van McCoy, Hank Crawford, Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall", Stuff

Sorry, no glam rock for me.

Couldn't you argue that disco was the bastard child of glam and salsa, no shuffle, no...wait, I'm mixing up my styles.

And Billy Preston died yesterday...somebody who is often overlooked.

So, who is your fave drummer?

I always liked session man Steve Gadd for his steady subtlety and versatility, and that guy who did all the Motown sessions....his name escapes me now.

Despite originally being turned off by his popularity with the teeny bopper crowd, I discovered a few years ago that Jason Mraz is an immensely talented and original artist. Here is a link to the song the first got me listening to him if anyone is interested.

https://wfs.bc.edu/bowesst/ab/music/ZeroPercentInterest.mp3

If anyone does listen I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.

STEVE GADD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is without a doubt my favorite. Disco, funk, jazz, latin, rock, blues, pop....he did and STILL does it all!!

The subtleties, creativity, and the fact that he's soooooooo behind the beat and grooving, make him the best drummer alive.

Speaking of Billy Preston (RIP), him and Gadd have (had) been in Eric Clapton's band together for five years now, although Gadd has been with Clapton since '96. How coincidental Billy's and Steve's names come up in the same post at this point in time.

AND...if you don't believe me, check my website myspace page to see how many times Gadd's name appears on it (3). And check out my drumming while yer at it..

--

As for the motown guy, you're either speaking of Al Jackson (Stax, Booker T) or Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (Aretha)....either of which certainly have their own pages in the Drumming Bible also.

Doh, you're right. I shoulda known that.

Renowned record producer Arif Mardin dies at 74

No matter what you think of him and his stable of artists, he certainly had a profound effect on the pop music world. And he was a Berklee alumnus.

1eb246f0.gif

Last edited:
Hahaha. Thanks. for the record, I was kidding about the Jonas Brothers thing, but thanks for the videos, I particularly liked Jimmy Page in France. Being 22, I discuss with many of my friends, "who are the most influential musicians of our generation?" We find ourselves listening to older music (read: pre-1985), and one of my best buddies has every Led Zepplin symbol tattooed somewhere on his body.

Aside from a VERY select few, I can't see too many post 1990 musicians/bands being too influential in the way that many pre-1990 musicians/bands have. I can think of a few (since 1990) including Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, maybe Green Day, and a few others; but it's really a sad time for modern music.

I know you were kidding! As for post 85 or 90 music, some day you'll look back and say "hey, it wasn't as bad as I remembered"!

Check out the Yardbirds "Little Games" and "Live at the Anderson Theatre" albums. It is Zeppelin before Zeppelin.

Page is great, but for me, it will be Hendrix all day long. And if you want to jump off from there, try Miles Davis albums from "Big Fun" and thereafter. (Jazz purists will hate you!) Carlos Santana of that era has the same vibe, even if the music is a little nervous and Carlos doesn't play more than 3 or 4 chords.

And if you want to support your local rockers, check out Quincy born (and senior citizen) Dick Dale and his last 3 or 4 albums. He isn't called the father of heavy metal for nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmmbF1Zyvk&feature=related

I'm a big Dropkick Murphys guy. I started listening to them when I heard their song ("I'm Shipping Up To Boston") in The Departed.

Back