Your favorite bands!

Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, STP, Alice in Chains, Tool, Van Halen, Clapton, SOAD, Rush, Pantera, Ozzy, old Metallica, way too many to list right now.

As you can see my base is rock, but I like everything but country. Can't stand that shit.

I like all music, except for rap, opera, country, bluegrass, jazz, dance, techno, folk, swing, big band, heavy metal, R & B, new age, and adult contemporary.

Benhamin said:
I like everything but country. Can't stand that shit.

johnny-cash.jpg

Joking! :lol:
That's Johnny Cash BTW.

TheBostonian said:
I like all music, except for rap, opera, country, bluegrass, jazz, dance, techno, folk, swing, big band, heavy metal, R & B, new age, and adult contemporary.
You like J-Pop too? I love that shit! :)

Re: re

Roxxma said:
budman3 said:
Rufus Wainright did an amazing cover of "Across The Universe" by The Beatles and a really mediocre cover of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley oddly enough (even though I think Jeff Buckley too covered "Hallelujah", but before Rufus Wainright).

I'm sure we can connect them all to Kevin Bacon some way or another...

We can connect them both to Leonard Cohen for sure, as he wrote and first recorded "Hallelujah".

I knew it! When I heard Jeff Buckleys version I was positive I'd heard it before and knew he covered it, just wasn't sure who originally did it. But I knew he had redone it before Rufus Wainright did.

Beatles
Beatles
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Weezer
Foo Fighters (live in boston, acoustic show august 22nd)
REM
As Fast As
Etc

Corey said:
Beatles
Beatles
Beatles

Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Weezer
Foo Fighters (live in boston, acoustic show august 22nd)
REM
As Fast As
Etc

excellent

budman3 said:
Rufus Wainright did an amazing cover of "Across The Universe" by The Beatles and a really mediocre cover of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley oddly enough (even though I think Jeff Buckley too covered "Hallelujah", but before Rufus Wainright).

Damn! Everybody but Jeff Buckley.

The Oracle of Bacon at Virginia said:
Rufus Wainwright has a Bacon number of 2.

Rufus Wainwright was in Aviator, The (2004) with John C. Reilly (I)
John C. Reilly (I) was in River Wild, The (1994) with Kevin Bacon
____

The Beatles
has a Bacon number of 3.

The Beatles was in Rey en Londres, El (1966) with Dirk Bogarde
Dirk Bogarde was in Vision, The (1987) with Helena Bonham Carter
Helena Bonham Carter
was in Novocaine (2001) with Kevin Bacon
Source

Where to start?

Buddy Holly, The Sonics, Minor Threat, The Kinks, Count Basie, Hank Williams Sr., Husker Du, Minutemen, Buck Owens, Sleater-Kinney, Skatalites, The Clash, King Tubby, Big Joe Turner, Toots and the Maytals, Thievery Corporation--I could go on and on but I won't.

I also highly recommend the new cd by a friend of mine, details here: http://www.myspace.com/chazandthemotorbikes give "Lost Summer Nite" a listen!

Over that blog I did a best albums by Boston bands post which ended up being a lot of fun. Note: I did not say best album by a band named Boston. There is no best album by a band named Boston.

its outdated, but...

this was copied from my subprofile

van halen
cheap trick
the band
billy joel
jimi hendrix
steppenwolf
rolling stones
acdc
boston
journey
kansas
procal harem
bob seger
tom petty
zz top
allman brothers
guns n roses
supertramp
billy squire
u2
queen
csny
aerosmith
bad company
blue oyster cult
bob dylan
bob marley
bruce springstein
david bowie
doors
eagles
grateful dead
j giles band
led zeppelin
lynyrd skynyrd
pink floyd
standells
stevie ray vaughn
the clash
the who
the cars
roundabout

some more recent addtions:
guster, oar, pinback, red hot chilli peppers, bare naked ladies, gin blossoms, some dropkick murphys

cityrecord said:
Where to start?

Buddy Holly, The Sonics, Minor Threat, The Kinks, Count Basie, Hank Williams Sr., Husker Du, Minutemen, Buck Owens, Sleater-Kinney, Skatalites, The Clash, King Tubby, Big Joe Turner, Toots and the Maytals, Thievery Corporation--I could go on and on but I won't.

I also highly recommend the new cd by a friend of mine, details here: http://www.myspace.com/chazandthemotorbikes give "Lost Summer Nite" a listen!

Over that blog I did a best albums by Boston bands post which ended up being a lot of fun. Note: I did not say best album by a band named Boston. There is no best album by a band named Boston.

You've got a lot of good picks. I love the Skatalites. They tour quite frequently and are always a fun show.

It's refreshing to have a music thread where I actually know the bands. God damn hipsters!!

Okay -- I'll bite:

House of Love, Galaxie 500/Luna, Joy Division, Pixies, Radiohead, Stone Roses, Charlatans, Sugarcubes/Bjork, Dead Kennedys, Butthole Surfers, Fountains of Wayne, Buffalo Tom, KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Clash, Public Enemy, PJ Harvey, Bauhaus, Birthday Party/Nick Cave, Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Mercury Rev, Low, Red House Painters, Saint Etienne, Jesus & Mary Chain, Mogwai...

Such is the curse of a college radio veteran...

Except for a brief listing by kz, where's the Motown, R&B, Soul?!?

And what, no bubblegum, glam rock?!

I listen to most anything. Love pure pop as much as I like esoteric jazz, tribal and even...(gasp!) disco. (Nile Rogers and Don Was can produce anything they want.)

And did anyone mention Zappa?
(I'm another product of a college radio, when it counted, in the 70s.)

Beton Brut said:
Okay -- I'll bite:

House of Love, Galaxie 500/Luna, Joy Division, Pixies, Radiohead, Stone Roses, Charlatans, Sugarcubes/Bjork, Dead Kennedys, Butthole Surfers, Fountains of Wayne, Buffalo Tom, KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Clash, Public Enemy, PJ Harvey, Bauhaus, Birthday Party/Nick Cave, Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Mercury Rev, Low, Red House Painters, Saint Etienne, Jesus & Mary Chain, Mogwai...

Such is the curse of a college radio veteran...

You truly are my people.

Garbribre --

It counted in the 80's too...Still does if you listen to WERS, WMBR, and WHRB (all available on the web)...

I dig Zappa (kz1000ps dropped him on page 1 of the thread) -- my fave is The Thing-fish: FZ at his most offensive and inventive...

As for glam, I'm all about Bowie, Roxy Music, and early Brian Eno...Both British Sea Power and Placebo do a pretty good contemporary interpretation of glam...

As I read through my list (culled from my iPod), I'll offer a few others:

Talking Heads, The Catherine Wheel, Spiritualized, Underworld, X, Grant Lee Buffalo, Interpol, The Editors, Pavement, and The Smiths...

I forgot to add Bjork!

Looks from the video like she's put on a little weight over the years though..

I'll toss in my two pennies, for shits and giggles.

I listen to basically everything and I'm not one of those people who says that because they have no favorite bands/artists or because they want to seem really cool and fit in with everyone.

Here's the list of what's around my computer, my stereo and what's in my car:

Radiohead, The Dandy Warhols, Nas, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, K's Choice, The Steve Miller Band, A Perfect Circle, Audioslave, The Black Crows, City Sleeps, Imogen Heap, John Legend, Kanye West, Mr. Lif, Akrobatik, T.I., Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Killers, Jay-Z, Jane's Addiction, Jeff Buckley, Dave Matthews Band, Sting & the Police, Common, 2-Pac...I could go on for ever.

Now most of these aren't full albums. I mostly make copies of songs I like and throw them onto CD's so that I don't have to carry around 1,000 CD's with me at a time. But I do own most of these artists/bands full albums.

Roxxma said:
budman3 said:

We can connect them both to Leonard Cohen for sure, as he wrote and first recorded "Hallelujah".

I'm pumped I'm not the only one who listens to Jeff Buckley. I really like his stuff, most of my friends have never heard of him--so I'm glad you guys are into him too.

I've heard most of, if not all of the versions of Hallelujah and I think I like Jeff Buckley's best.

BostonSkyGuy said:
Radiohead, The Dandy Warhols, Nas, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, K's Choice, The Steve Miller Band, A Perfect Circle, Audioslave, The Black Crows, City Sleeps, Imogen Heap, John Legend, Kanye West, Mr. Lif, Akrobatik, T.I., Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Killers, Jay-Z, Jane's Addiction, Jeff Buckley, Dave Matthews Band, Sting & the Police, Common, 2-Pac...I could go on for ever.

right on

Back