⚫ One Marina Park @ Fan Pier | One Marina Park Drive | Seaport

Re: Fan Pier

Most of the buildings there present nothing more than blank walls of tinted glass and concrete to the street - which is usually set back behind a few feet of grass.

You either enter through the One Defined Entrance or the parking garage. There is zero incentive to walk around and see what's there. It's a place to designed to be accessed by car.
Suburbia invades the city.

... i'm just hoping these buildings lend themselves well for future improvements (modifications) at street level...

10/31:

img1407mi1.jpg

img1409pf3.jpg

I wish there could be some unifying plan to deal with the street wall that faces the Fort Point Channel to give the area a face to the rest of Boston.

Judging from the evidence, there is a unifying plan: you could call it consistent monotony.

That squat cube rising at Fan Pier is already boring me.

^I bet it will be even less fun when they put up the facade. Enjoy while you can...

This site is cursed. I give it 86 years.

This is unfortunate but not surprising. A better reclaimed infill development on waterfront property is the Liberty Harbor project in Jersey City.

Last edited:

The site is cursed because it is under the jurisdiction of an inept mayor.

The mayor delivered this site from the hands of the rightful winning bidder (a national developer) into his little local buddy's hands.

The same little buddy who crapped Park Lane onto this city. While most people would be banished from every being allowed to develop again, the mayor's little buddy was actually rewarded for that Warsaw replication monstrosity by being handed the reigns to Fan Pier.

And the Mayor will be re-elected. And his little buddy will most likely weasel his way into other major developments.

We get what we deserve. We deserve shitty urban planning, bad architecture and backwards design. We deserve a windswept parking lot with one fecal office stump at so-called "Fan Pier".

At least the egotistical "Joe Fallon Is A Big Shot" billboards for Fan Pier are nice.

Every single thing about this development is just wrong. So the fact that it has failed should be seen as a good thing for the city. The only problem is that Plan B in Boston is always worse than the original bad plan.

was that national developer Lennar? How well are they doing financially right now?

It is a shame that the city cannot recreate a neighborhood similar to the North End, South End, and Back Bay in the Fan Pier area. The driving force is density and height. The land prices have become too expensive for a developer to come in and create a neighborhood, instead of 20 story residential and office towers.

It's a fair point Ron, but they have a large portfolio of mega-developments, they rightfully won the right to develop this site, they were stalled by the BRA, and forced to sell to somebody with woefully inadequate resources and experience.

Had they bought the site and been able to quickly develop it, construction would be perhaps two years ahead of schedule. The residential buildings would be opening next year and perhaps two office buildings.

Sure Lennar is in trouble, just like all major real estate companies are, but the death by stalling technique employed by Boss Menino was disgusting.

It is a shame that the city cannot recreate a neighborhood similar to the North End, South End, and Back Bay in the Fan Pier area. The driving force is density and height. The land prices have become too expensive for a developer to come in and create a neighborhood, instead of 20 story residential and office towers.

There's no reason you can't have density and mixed use blended with height. That being said, it's not likely to happen here.

I think the Fort Point area is much more likely to become a neighborhood like the North End or South End or Back Bay than Fan Pier would be. In my mind I can see high rises, mega-developments, and the mixed use, dense, "old-style" neighborhoods all combined in the South Boston Waterfront area. It would create a much more lively and diverse area if all these were mixed rather than just one or another. The Courthouse compliments Fan Pier, Fan Pier compliments the BCEC, the BCEC compliments the existing world trade center and hotels, and future development should work to compliment but also vary from the existing developments.

I think the Fort Point area is much more likely to become a neighborhood like the North End or South End or Back Bay than Fan Pier would be. In my mind I can see high rises, mega-developments, and the mixed use, dense, "old-style" neighborhoods all combined in the South Boston Waterfront area. It would create a much more lively and diverse area if all these were mixed rather than just one or another. The Courthouse compliments Fan Pier, Fan Pier compliments the BCEC, the BCEC compliments the existing world trade center and hotels, and future development should work to compliment but also vary from the existing developments.

WOW..... A positive view on things is such a nice thing to hear around here. Sincerely, thank you.

I'd never pretend to know anything about Urban Planning or Architecture for that matter but, I am a self proclaimed ?Construction Geek?. I was a Construction Management major at Wentworth, and before I came to Boston form the sticks of central Mass I was naive enough to think that I would be getting my degree to return home and become a residential developer. Since then I?ve developed a true love for this city and all that it has to offer and I?m just excited to see that something is happening in this area.

Last edited:

^ where in central mass? I'm from Fitchburg originally! Today from Logan 11-12-08
004.jpg

^ where in central mass? I'm from Fitchburg originally! Today from Logan 11-12-08

I'm from Sterling....... I want to Highschool in Fitchburg at Monty Tech Voc, for House Carpentry. I spent the summer after 8th grade working on a farm in town, spent 1 week at the regional highschool and said now way was I going to spend the next 4 years of my life in some B.S. class room learing about everything I cared nothing about.

Vocational school was probably one of the best choice I had ever made. But sadly I was one of the few who went on to college after that.

The site is cursed because it is under the jurisdiction of an inept mayor.

The mayor delivered this site from the hands of the rightful winning bidder (a national developer) into his little local buddy's hands.

The same little buddy who crapped Park Lane onto this city. While most people would be banished from every being allowed to develop again, the mayor's little buddy was actually rewarded for that Warsaw replication monstrosity by being handed the reigns to Fan Pier.

And the Mayor will be re-elected. And his little buddy will most likely weasel his way into other major developments.

We get what we deserve. We deserve shitty urban planning, bad architecture and backwards design. We deserve a windswept parking lot with one fecal office stump at so-called "Fan Pier".

Every single thing about this development is just wrong. So the fact that it has failed should be seen as a good thing for the city. The only problem is that Plan B in Boston is always worse than the original bad plan.

This post is CLASSIC..................Fan Pier design is absolute DISASTER.

Back