đź”· Open Thread

Good luck KZ, you were a great contributor to the site... I hope we can get some people to fill in the gaps!

I really appreciate all the time and effort you put into taking your pics from around the city and posting them here for us over the years, Kz. I don't think there was anything I enjoyed more on this forum than logging in and seeing that you brought us yet another massive construction photo update. Your talent and dedication will be missed around here. Good luck!

Man, way to hijack a thread... ;-)

Haha. Jk. Thanks for all your contributions and amazing photography. I too always looked forward to your construction updates. I look forward now to your adventures in NYC. Perhaps, we'll have a "Photo of the Day, NYC Style" thread. =)

Found this on weird-vintage tumblr. I assume the distributor is somehow linked to the restaurant? Anyone have any other details?

tumblr_ml0py3RGtT1rphtnfo1_500.jpg

Found this on weird-vintage tumblr. I assume the distributor is somehow linked to the restaurant? Anyone have any other details?

tumblr_ml0py3RGtT1rphtnfo1_500.jpg

LMGTFY

Jacob Wirth was established as a bottler in Boston, Massachusetts in 1868 and began bottling lager beer at 160 Broad Street in Providence sometime in 1880 while residing in Boston. He became the New England agent for George Ehert's New York Hell Gate Lager Beer in 1883, dealing in quarter and half barrels.

Wirth began importing Rhine wines from Germany in 1885 and shortly after began manufacturing his own Rhine and Claret wines. At the same time he also began selling mineral and seltzer waters and was located at 164 Broad Street in Providence with Henry R. Wirth as manager of the branch.

Wirth's company was wholesaling liquors and bottling foreign and domestic lager and ale beers in 1892, with the company headquarters located at 33 Eliot Street in Boston. The Rhode Island branch, located in Providence at 186 Weybosset Street, was actually a restaurant listed under the name of Jacob Wirth & Co. They were also located in Pawtucket at 25-27 Page Street.

In 1892-93, the company was listed as selling beer, wines, liquor, etc. at another Pawtucket address, 17 North Main Street.

In 1900, under the name Jacob Wirth & Co. (Henry R. Wirth), they were importing and wholesaling liquors and wines at 227-231 West Exchange Street, Providence, and had become one of the earliest and largest bottlers of beer, wine, and mineral water in New England. They bottled for many different breweries including the famous Narragansett Brewery, Cranston, Rhode Island.

By 1927, the company had become the Wirth Concorde Ade Co., still located at the West Exchange address, and were the manufacturers of ".... a delicious and refreshing drink made from grapes."

The Jacob Wirth & Co. name still remained in 1990, but only as a restaurant and bar located at 33-37 Stuart Street in Boston, Massachusetts.

Sooooo we signed Jermaine Jones yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.revolutionsoccer.net/news/2014/08/revolution-signs-jermaine-jones

Kraft actually invested in a DP! So f'ing excited. Now we just need a new URBAN STADIUM for Jermaine to play in. ;-)

“This is a great opportunity for us to add one of the best players in the United States to our club,” said Revolution investor/operator Jonathan Kraft. “We thought Jermaine was the best player for the U.S. in the World Cup and we are excited to welcome him to New England. Robert and I have always said that any major DP signing would need to make an impact, on and off the field, and we believe the addition of Jermaine will do just that. When we learned that he was interested in signing with MLS, we immediately informed the league of our interest. He is a dynamic player and is certain to have a tremendous impact on our team and in our community. We look forward to his many contributions.”

10344238_10152357797333230_3711578908345083484_o.jpg

*Granted, the way he was signed is absolutely ridiculous (blind draw between us and Chicago).

Last edited:
All those buildings turn their backs to the street.

Granted, that street is Rt. 99, but it's still a mess.

I did some research on these a couple weeks ago when I drove by the development. Those apartments are SO EXPENSIVE and they're on a constantly jammed road with no rapid transit, only bus. $2,200-$2,500 for a 1 BR. Like WTF. It's in freaking Everett.

http://thebatchyard.com/floor_plans/

tumblr_n5u4utiA181s7e5k5o1_500.jpg

91-year-old James Carr, a lifelong resident of Boston’s Charlestown neighborhood, takes one last ride on the Charlestown Elevated before its demolition in 1975
Source

Anybody have experience dealing with someone slipping into paranoid schizophrenia? An old friend who I've been out of contact with for some time had what appeared to be a near-total meltdown (on Facebook no less) late last night and I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I've been googling around on what to say/what not say as I reach out to him for the first time in years and I'd appreciate any and all help I can get. Time is very much of the essence although I fear it may already be too late.

Anybody have experience dealing with someone slipping into paranoid schizophrenia? An old friend who I've been out of contact with for some time had what appeared to be a near-total meltdown (on Facebook no less) late last night and I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I've been googling around on what to say/what not say as I reach out to him for the first time in years and I'd appreciate any and all help I can get. Time is very much of the essence although I fear it may already be too late.

If you have fallen out of touch, the best idea might be to contact someone closer to him (his family? a more current friend?) and share your concerns with them first. They might know a lot more than you about what is is going on with him and they might stop you from saying or doing the wrong thing that might make things worse. If they think it is a good idea for you to reach out, then you do.

Good luck.

If you have fallen out of touch, the best idea might be to contact someone closer to him (his family? a more current friend?) and share your concerns with them first.

I'll second that.

Definitely don't try to show them that what they imagine is not consistent with reality. Just find a way to get them some supervision in the short term, and some help for the long term.

Their family members are a good place to start - even if it means 'cold calling' a parent or sibling. And it may not be easy to get the family / loved one to admit to themselves that what's happening is more than just "him being his kooky self again". Bring some evidence and present it even-handedly.

...And then give the family the opportunity to handle it in privacy, if thats what they wish...

Well the situation is made complicated by the fact that his family kicked him out about 10 years ago. Him and I have gotten back in touch a bit in the past week and I know he sees me as a friend not foe, so I may have misspoken when I said "reach out for the first time in years"; the line of communication is already somewhat open, but only in the form of a few "how ya doing buddy?" exchanges on Facebook this last week.

Also, if he does call me I have no intention of bringing up schizophrenia or anything of the sort; I just want to give him someone to talk to because he's been leading a very lonely life for some time now and I know he could use someone to just vent to, even if it means venting delusional stuff. Frankly, I just want to hear his voice and give him the sense he's not alone.

Well the situation is made complicated by the fact that his family kicked him out about 10 years ago. Him and I have gotten back in touch a bit in the past week and I know he sees me as a friend not foe, so I may have misspoken when I said "reach out for the first time in years"; the line of communication is already somewhat open, but only in the form of a few "how ya doing buddy?" exchanges on Facebook this last week.

Also, if he does call me I have no intention of bringing up schizophrenia or anything of the sort; I just want to give him someone to talk to because he's been leading a very lonely life for some time now and I know he could use someone to just vent to, even if it means venting delusional stuff. Frankly, I just want to hear his voice and give him the sense he's not alone.

Then why not initiate one of those "how ya doing buddy" conversations now and then lead into (very very gently and with careful phrasing) some of the larger issues you've identified based on the way he responds to the how are you prompt. "How come you feel that way?"

Why did it never get past "how ya doing buddy?" the previous times?

Because up until 2 am last night I didn't know anything of this paranoia of his. He's always been a little off but I never had cause to suspect something much more serious until I go to Facebook and see he's written a dozen posts in the last 35 minutes talking about incredibly serious stuff. All the sudden there I am at 3 am glued to my screen waiting for and fearing every new post.

Because up until 2 am last night I didn't know anything of this paranoia of his. He's always been a little off but I never had cause to suspect something much more serious until I go to Facebook and see he's written a dozen posts in the last 35 minutes talking about incredibly serious stuff. All the sudden there I am at 3 am glued to my screen waiting for and fearing every new post.

Then it's time for another "how are you" chat that goes further this time.

Back