đź”· Open Thread

The very briefest of Boston Minecraft updates...

CzV8Roo.png

Yes, we have a FB message chat going as I type this...

Hope that turned out all right. If you literally mean paranoid schizophrenia than there's a good chance he is off his meds and needs to get back on them or see someone to reevaluate what he is taking.

I kept a chat going with him for almost 48 hours... you know, writing back and forth every hour or two, and he was totally fine. So I haven't pursued anything any further, and I guess it's just a matter of checking in every so often and hoping for the best. And just knowing his lifestyle I doubt he's been taking any meds, which is probably a big part of the problem. But again I don't know for sure.

Does he have violent tendencies?

Well, I'll put it this way: he's the kind that wouldn't harm a fly or another person, but for as long as I've known him he's been a risk to himself, not in the form of violent/suicidal tendencies but just general self-defeating actions. he's been scraping by at the bottom of the socio-economic barrel for a solid 10 years now and doesn't surround himself with the best of people; one or two missteps on his part and he'll be homeless (he actually just got kicked out of his former living situation and didn't have a home for a couple of days--no idea how or why) and with a medical condition that isn't being treated, in which case he'll end up being just another one of those crazy street hobos that nobody cares about. I'm truly scared that will be his fate.

And as a sort of update, he just apologized yesterday on Facebook for some of the things he's written, so at least he understands he was saying some crazy shit:

VVdP12.png

I doubt there's truly a new beginning underway, but we'll see. I'm continuing to chat with him and trying to be a constant positive presence in his life.

From the Onion's Best Cities for Millennials:

4. BOSTON

Dialect: Shouting

City Nickname: [unintelligible]

Open Coxswain Positions: 78,000

Cultural Heritage: Exaggeratedly Irish

Number Of People Currently On Candlepin Bowling First Dates: 800,000

Days It Takes To Do It All: 2.73

Popular Interests: New York

Anyone hear any talk of who might be on a shortlist for MFA director?

Stupid question.

What was on the lot where the Edward W. Brooke Courthouse now sits prior to it's construction? I am trying to find photo of the area, but coming up blank.
Was it parking lots between the razing of the West End and the construction, or did some old West End buildings survive on that lot until the courthouse was built?

I arrived here in 1993 and it was a gravel parking lot surrounded by chain link fence until the courthouse was built. An interesting side note about the lot, when the grateful dead was in town, the dead heads, took over the lot and made it into an urban campground.

What was on the lot where the Edward W. Brooke Courthouse now sits prior to it's construction?

Phase II of Paul Rudolph's State Services Center, including the 20+ story tower were intended for that site, but it wasn't to be. Instead, we got the Brooke, with an architectural language fitting Il Duce.

Damn it...

Just got back from 10 days riding the Underground and Metro (and Eurostar!!). Those headways...

I was looking at the City's parcel maps for some reason a few months ago and spotted quite a few places where you can see the remains of what is presumably the old, pre-urban renewal street grid and buildings. Click through for an imgur album I forgot to post:

http://imgur.com/a/e2Hrp

Yea, I was sorry to see that yesterday. I hope this city shows him lot's of public displays of affection. Despite our quarrels with him on this board in regards to developments and what not, Boston loves him and he Boston. His spot in this cities history is indisputable, he most certainly has his own chapter in it.

Yea, I was sorry to see that yesterday. I hope this city shows him lot's of public displays of affection. Despite our quarrels with him on this board in regards to developments and what not, Boston loves him and he Boston. His spot in this cities history is indisputable, he most certainly has his own chapter in it.

Apparently the first thing he asked Mayor Walsh the other day when Walsh called him in the hospital was how the city was doing cleaning up from the Nor'easter. He cares so much about this city. That story really hit home for me.

http://www.universalhub.com/2014/even-hospital-bed-tom-menino-still-worried-about

If you care for the man at all then I'd recommend setting aside a half hour to watch this. It shows him as he was running for his first council seat way back in '83 as well as shows he's always been himself, good ol' Tommy Mumbles. It's also a fascinating window into a Boston that's now mostly gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL_RjdztIdc

Back