đź”· Open Thread

Did it ever occur to smoke alarm manufacturers that having the device suddenly beginning to scream "LOW BATTERY" at 3 in the morning is likely to cause someone to rip the thing out of the ceiling and throw it out the window rather than the intended effect?

Luckily I have a 24/7 store near me.

Did it ever occur to smoke alarm manufacturers that having the device suddenly beginning to scream "LOW BATTERY" at 3 in the morning is likely to cause someone to rip the thing out of the ceiling and throw it out the window rather than the intended effect?

Luckily I have a 24/7 store near me.

It "screams" low battery when the battery is low... Whenever that occurs. Do you expect mfr's to put time-keeping clocks in the detectors and withhold such alerts for certain hours of the day? Life safety devices need to be taken seriously. You can avoid a low battery altogether by changing the battery on a regular basis, as is recommended (and required by apartment mgmt).

The battery gets changed every year, not sure why it went wrong this time.

And the simple solution is not a clock, but a gradually increasing volume as the battery gets lower, so that I have an opportunity to notice it at a decent hour.

Life safety devices are no good when they are lying on the ground outside of a window because they didn't warn you about low battery until suddenly screaming at you at 3 a.m., when it could easily have begun to issue lower-volume alerts prior to that.

People aren't robots.

The battery gets changed every year, not sure why it went wrong this time.

And the simple solution is not a clock, but a gradually increasing volume as the battery gets lower, so that I have an opportunity to notice it at a decent hour.

Life safety devices are no good when they are lying on the ground outside of a window because they didn't warn you about low battery until suddenly screaming at you at 3 a.m., when it could easily have begun to issue lower-volume alerts prior to that.

People aren't robots.

If I remember correctly, the smoke detectors I installed in my parents house over the winter holidays supposedly start out with lower volume voice alerts at low frequency for a low battery. There also are voice alerts saying "Low Battery" instead of chirping. They also support the Wink home automation hub and supposedly will push an alert to the Wink app on your phone as the first step if connected to one.

So, yes, some smoke detectors have started trying to not be stupid about this.

Fallout 4 is set in Boston, confirmed.

Indeed. Reddit pretty much exploded today, just one day after it exploded from the resignation of Sepp.

/r/Boston thread - http://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/38dccp/trailer_for_fallout_4_released_set_in_boston/
/r/Fallout thread - https://np.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/38db0o/fallout_4_trailer/
/r/Gaming - https://np.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/38dawz/fallout_4_announcement_video/

It's been a fun week on Reddit.

Noticed a friend in Oklahoma City post a story from a local news site about the I-35 I-240 interchange redo.

It's currently a dangerous full clover only designed for a LOS of 30,000, but handles 120,000 daily now.

The plan is actually quite beautiful:
http://www.ok.gov/odot/I35andI240meeting.html

I35_I240_plan_map.jpg

Rant. I was on the Provincetown Community Space Facebook page today and someone was told to take down his post b/c it wasn't "acceptable" to the board's moderators.

The post was about how the guy didn't like that the workers behind the counter at the local Piggly Wiggly didn't understand English very well and couldn't understand him when he ordered his meat and cheese. Obv., he was being rather narrow-minded (some said, racist) but certainly not the worst complaint in the world. So why delete his comment?

I know you don't know the specifics, but it makes me annoyed that - in the social media world - you can't say something that you feel without it being analyzed and dissected. I realize, you say something, others are going to respond - that goes with the territory. But why kill off the conversation? And, why should the ramifications be so severe - like when someone tweets something and then ends up losing his/her job? They're just words.

I'm sure I'll feel differently depending on the day but you know what I mean.

Likewise, is it really that bad when people go off-topic on this board? We can't just scroll through the comments? Are you that busy?

Likewise, is it really that bad when people go off-topic on this board? We can't just scroll through the comments? Are you that busy?

I don't mind when we veer off and talk about something semi-relevant or at least interesting. But when people start beating a dead horses over and over with reactionary or baseless drivel, it gets old fast.

It can be a fine line.

I try to be pretty loose with off topic posts to a point. And when they do veer too far I almost always move them to a different thread rather than delete them (I don't think I have ever deleted someone else's post. Though I've certainly wanted to, to be honest).

I am probably one of the worst offenders of dragging threads off topic but I do see the value of keep them from going too far. We do have quite a few professionals on this board who really add a lot of good information about on going projects. They don't have time to weed through Wikipedia entries about the Apollo space mission in the middle of a thread about a new bio lab, rant's about the president's agenda in a thread about a new apartment building, etc...

But at the same time this place probably shouldn't just be a rote listing of facts about new development projects. There has to some room for discussion and jokes and what not.

I certainly don't get it right all the time but I try to keep it more factual than social without drying the place out too much.

After dispute, state senator to lower roof of rebuilt house
By Stephanie Ebbert, Boston Globe

In a sudden reversal, state Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz has agreed to lower the roof of her newly rebuilt Jamaica Plain home, resolving a neighbor’s legal claims that her addition violates the city zoning code, according to a copy of the agreement provided by the plaintiff.

Chang-Diaz and her husband, Bryan Hirsch, agreed in private negotiations with their neighbor to trim up to 3 feet off the height of the roof they raised this spring to add a third floor to their two-family house at 3-5 Bremen Terrace.

In return, the next-door neighbor, Brian Wells — who had accused the city of giving her special treatment — agreed to drop the lawsuit he filed in Suffolk Superior Court against the couple and the city agencies that approved their plans. He argued that the addition exceeded the neighborhood’s 35-foot height limit, and should have required a variance.

The Chang-Diaz hipped roof design was ok. The VE'd barn they put on top was awful!

Bostonography's doing their collaborative neighborhood mapping exercise again, take a look and draw some neighborhoods:

http://bostonography.com/hoods/

This time it's being expanded to the whole area, not just the city of Boston. The results last time were pretty fun:
neighborhoods_labeled_small-895x1024.jpg

Back