đź”· Open Thread

Sorry to go off track, but the ArchBoston members might have an answer: my TEAC 4010 reel to reel needs some service. Any local suggestions? Many thanks!

BB, thanks! I just can't manage to adjust a pinch roller on a reel to reel!

I saw this in my local newspaper a week or two ago and good luck on that ever getting past the act 250 environmental review plus each individual town's review process.

Oh. I can't read that. I couldn't even finish Lost Boston. Far too depressing.

The blind fixation on height of any proposal in the city and the relentless back and forth re: "actual height inc. mechs/ FAA/ Approved" is making me dread opening threads on AB. It hasn't always been this bad, right? I'm amazed at how many pages can be filled by posts like "well, it's 683 to the roof, so with +/- 3 levels of mechs, we're looking at 715!!!" and "That looks OK, I just wish they'd plop 250 more floors on top!!!!" I know I'm beating a dead horse and that this has been brought up numerous times, but it seems like it's getting worse. I don't expect any response, just venting.

It's good to vent!

I feel the same way. I think we are seeing it crop up lately is because there has been a recent boom in actual skyscraper proposals in the city so that draws out all the height fetishists.

Interesting historical fact: This forum was born from a forum called SkyscraperGuy. It was neglected for a stretch and became over run with spam, so Briv set up this place.
If you follow the link you will see a few familiar names who were posting even back then (Even a few of the same arguments).

Can we sticky the What's Left to Build On? thread? This is getting ridiculous. Practically every thread now has people arbitrarily listing vacant lots to build the next tower on.

I think many people fall in love with skyscrapers as their introduction to both architecture and urbanism. I know I did. The wonderful thing about AB is just how much I've learned about everything else that goes into making a city great. It is tiresome to watch people fixate on every last foot of height, but I think those people are new to an interest in architecture, new to the glacial pace and frequent disappointment of development in Boston, and I believe if they keep reading their understanding and interests will broaden.

I know I poked fun at a poster in another thread this morning and that wasn't constructive. I hope this was a more positive message.

Can we sticky the What's Left to Build On? thread? This is getting ridiculous. Practically every thread now has people arbitrarily listing vacant lots to build the next tower on.

Agreed. I also think this thread should be moved to the Development Projects page and stickyed since that is where most of these conversations are happening.

It's good to vent!

I feel the same way. I think we are seeing it crop up lately is because there has been a recent boom in actual skyscraper proposals in the city so that draws out all the height fetishists.

Interesting historical fact: This forum was born from a forum called SkyscraperGuy. It was neglected for a stretch and became over run with spam, so Briv set up this place.
If you follow the link you will see a few familiar names who were posting even back then (Even a few of the same arguments).

Wow, thanks for sharing. Seeing a lot of those lanes was a trip down memory lane. I was never on SkyscraperGuy, but I came to AB in 06, so a lot of for,Ed members were here. I also started off by being fascinated by skyscrapers. I posted vehemently in defense of the original TNP proposal by Belkin even though I know know the level of suckitude it represented. So maybe I shouldn't be so harsh.

Heck, both Lowell and Lawrence were semi-planned cities owned by industrial consortiums at first.

Ridiculously satisfying GIF of the Leadenhall Building:

20.-The-Leadenhall-Building600.gif

Back