đź”· Open Thread

mmm...Its not just oil money. A lot of it is laundering for various petty autocracies. When I lived there, there was a legend about Mikheil Saakashvili showing up at the Prince's house with suitcases full of benjamins and asking to buy three buildings on the Palm. Allegedly lots of USAID money ended up in Dubai condos too, via Kabul etc.

The end of the Iran sanctions actually might be as big a problem for Dubai as the oil glut....if you walked along the banks of Dubai creek back in the day you could see dozens of crappy motorboats packed to the gills with mid-market electronics - think HP DeskJet 8200s - bound for the coast of Iran.

Can we please get a streetfood park like SoMa in SF or the former Rainey Food Park (RIP) in Austin? I know SoWa is great, but I'm thinking of something that's open weeknights (preferably relatively late) and allows/serves beer/wine. I get that our climate would mean this is probably April-October at best, but it would be a whole lot of fun. P-9 on the Greenway would be a great temporary spot.

Can we please get a streetfood park like SoMa in SF or the former Rainey Food Park (RIP) in Austin? I know SoWa is great, but I'm thinking of something that's open weeknights (preferably relatively late) and allows/serves beer/wine. I get that our climate would mean this is probably April-October at best, but it would be a whole lot of fun. P-9 on the Greenway would be a great temporary spot.

How about expanding on Thursdays in Dewey Square? There is already a few food trucks and cheap beer. Make it bigger. Stretch it down the Greenway. Try 2 nights a week. Etc.

During nov-dec we should have a Christmas market like the ones they have in europe.

During nov-dec we should have a Christmas market like the ones they have in europe.

Yes, a thousand time yes - if at some point before I die, I can wander a christmas market in boston, sipping gluwein from a ceramic cup, without having to show an ID, wear a wrist band, or stay within a perimeter defined by a bunch of sawhorses....

We went to the German Christmas Market in Quebec City this winter. I can't see why Boston couldn't do the same thing. It was excellent.

Yes, a thousand time yes - if at some point before I die, I can wander a christmas market in boston, sipping gluwein from a ceramic cup, without having to show an ID, wear a wrist band, or stay within a perimeter defined by a bunch of sawhorses....

If only. In Stockholm they have similar puritan level alcohol laws to the United States, they still had a large Christmas market and sold non alcoholic gløgg (gulwien) there.

Yes, a thousand time yes - if at some point before I die, I can wander a christmas market in boston, sipping gluwein....

Steal your kid's model boat and sniff glue.

Yikes Brexit happened. That's gonna put a hurt on the global economy.

Except that they'll lose the voting rights they had. Just as well, I guess, if Nigel Farage was an MEP, must've been worthless.

Oh and Scotland and Northern Ireland will exit the UK. So it's more of an UK-up.

Cameron will go down in history as the worst Prime Minister bar none.

Brexit in a single gif

giphy.gif

Brexit opened my eyes to the fact that the UK has a guy with hair equally weird as Trumps. Also that gif is spot-on Statler.

Yeah, can't wait until the President Trump & PM Johnson press conferences... tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum.

Back