đź”· Open Thread

CltxD8QWQAEiRx_.jpg

The Clone Army that destroys nations.

Still half convinced this will come to nothing, but...

Odds on Irish Reunification?

Still half convinced this will come to nothing, but...

Odds on Irish Reunification?

Give it a couple decades until all the bitter old saps are dead and then you might see Northern Ireland & Ireland reunited.

BoJo is smarter than Trump. But both are clowns. Thanks, NYC!

RANT

Dear CBS - Thank you for making a mockery of the Boston Pops Firework Spectacular. Between 2 pop singers (1 of which was completely underdressed and the other can't sing for sh*t) and relegating the Pops to "background filler" for other bands, replacing longtime local hosts with some random lady from one of your gossip shows.......AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON RUINING THE OVERTURE OF 1812! That should've been later on - and not done before the national broadcast.

For those of you that didn't get your fix of cannons and orchestra, here's an example of when they did it properly.

So is anyone else noticing the potential Brexit side effect being an unexpected flood of funding on favorable terms for development on this side of the pool? Just started dawning on me as I watch the markets shift...

While I have zero problem with pop stars being part of a Pops concert (I mean, it's right there in their name) I'm not sure the orchestra should have been mostly relegated to role of back up band. I would have like to have seen more of a balance.

The CBS broadcast made a very good case for shutting off the TV and actually going in to see the concert in person.

Must be a generational thing. I think Demi & Nick should go on tour with the Pops. They were all phenomenal together. I absolutely loved the integration of the Pops with the pop artists. Very unique performances that prevented any lip-sync'ed canned performances.

(clutches pearls)
Also, this. ^ "Underdressed?" Wtf man. Go back to 1950.

Demi and Nick should tour with an orchestra! That would be great.

But the 4th on the Esplanade is traditionally more of a classical concert with some pop flair.

Nothing gold can stay...

"Underdressed?" Wtf man. Go back to 1950.

Data, this:

But the 4th on the Esplanade is traditionally more of a classical concert with some pop flair.

Call me old fashioned, but the Pops have always had a classy act. What she was wearing wasn't classy. I will gladly agree to disagree (that is what makes this country, and this site, great), but I don't ever remember any other act wearing less clothing in recent memory. That concert is not the time or place to be wearing something like that.

To each their own.

File under "things I really cannot explain": A Martha's Vineyard Regional Transportation Agency bus on Charles Street last Tuesday.

799px-VTA_bus_on_Charles_Street%2C_July_2016.JPG

Beacon Hill residents will only take Vineyard public transit so they've expanded their territory ;-)

I saw a yellow NYC cab unloading a passenger at the Four Seasons a couple of weeks ago. I've heard of this happening before - actually, several uber drivers around here told me about impromptu trips they've made to NYC with passengers - but I can't understand why anyone would do this.

I saw a yellow NYC cab unloading a passenger at the Four Seasons a couple of weeks ago. I've heard of this happening before - actually, several uber drivers around here told me about impromptu trips they've made to NYC with passengers - but I can't understand why anyone would do this.

So I've seen this too and find it fascinating. I have a little free time so I wasted it looking into this a bit.

The fare estimate for this (Grand Central-200 Boylston) is $640.33. Obviously this assumes it's a metered rate and it's almost certainly a flat-rate negotiated in advance. My guess is that the flat rate is even higher. For starters, the estimate doesn't include tolls, traffic charges, etc. Given the amount of time involved in the round-trip (a full work day or more), the driver would most likely try to negotiate compensation for the return. My guess is that $700 would be a low estimate and there's a chance that such a trip could cost $1,000 or more. Someone in this thread on Tripadvisor suggests it could be closer to $2000. I assume a flat rate would include the tip, but who knows. A woman skipped out on a $980 JFK-Framingham fare 2 years ago so I think $1,000 is a good ballpark.

I'll echo Shepard's sentements- why? Even the "well if money were no object, you might!" argument falls short when you consider the fact that you could take an Acela Express train in First Class for about 1/3 (or less) the price of the fare, and it would likely be quicker, have more amenities, and be more comfortable. First class airline tickets can be had for under $300/each and would offer a similar comfort level and relatively faster services (door to door it's close assuming the origin is Manhattan). A one way/same day car rental is about $150 for a luxury vehicle ($70 for "standard"). Even a luxury car service ranges from $500-1500. So there are more appealing, more comfortable options for significantly less money.

My initial guess is that a scenario similar to the one in the Tripadvisor thread played out... someone from overseas arrived to JFK, had to get to Boston, and didn't weigh options thoroughly. Someone with a boatload of cash in hand makes an easy target for a cab driver who says "sure, I'll take you to Boston- $1500 and we'll call it a deal." It's the easiest option since the cabs are right there. Otherwise I just can't imagine why someone would do it. Maybe they needed to go right now! It's nuts.

Last edited:
I may have missed it, but did the archBoston board silently miss it's 10th anniversary about 2-3 months ago?

Back