đź”· Open Thread

I never understood the Jet Fuel/Steel Beams conspiracy about 9/11. About 10 years ago, a tanker truck exploded somewhere on I-95 in Connecticut. I can't remember the details, but it melted the steel bridge deck and the bridge collapsed, closing I-95 until it could be replaced. Seems like a big FU to the conspiracy loons, but maybe they'll just say that the tanker explosion was also carried out by the government in an attempt to dupe us or something. :rolleyes:

I never understood the Jet Fuel/Steel Beams conspiracy about 9/11. About 10 years ago, a tanker truck exploded somewhere on I-95 in Connecticut. I can't remember the details, but it melted the steel bridge deck and the bridge collapsed, closing I-95 until it could be replaced. Seems like a big FU to the conspiracy loons, but maybe they'll just say that the tanker explosion was also carried out by the government in an attempt to dupe us or something. :rolleyes:

They'll tell you to "keep drinking the Kool Aid." I die a little inside each time I hear that expression.

Jet fuel can't melt beams. Perhaps you're thinking of aspartame ;-)

14212676_10154340247122870_2409620086068389043_n.jpg

BTW, from a previous job, I am fairly familiar with the type of fire suppression systems required for aircraft hangars where fueled aircraft are permitted to be stored. These are the most intense fire suppression systems imaginable:

maxresdefault.jpg

So, yeah, this doesn't directly answer the question, but yes, fires from fully fueled aircraft can be extremely intense and require substantial systems to control.

Also, here's a video of such a system in action:
https://youtu.be/8csL5Y2_pnE

BTW, from a previous job, I am fairly familiar with the type of fire suppression systems required for aircraft hangars where fueled aircraft are permitted to be stored. These are the most intense fire suppression systems imaginable:

maxresdefault.jpg

So, yeah, this doesn't directly answer the question, but yes, fires from fully fueled aircraft can be extremely intense and require substantial systems to control.

Also, here's a video of such a system in action:
https://youtu.be/8csL5Y2_pnE

I always love reading the "oopsies" stories from those systems.

"Sorry we accidentally set the system off with your $5 billion dollar fighter jets in there."

ICYMI, I posted a Calendar event, my John for Deeds campaign kick-off party, on September 20th.

Please come by and bring a friend!

If you're interested in volunteering or donating, visit johnfordeeds.com

Thank you

Is that bad? Should that not be like that?

There are procedures for cleaning, inspecting and reinstating the aircraft but they are time-consuming and expensive...lots of costly downtime. The primary objective is preventing the giant fireball that occurs if a hangar goes up w/ tens of thousands of gallons of fuel in there...everything else is secondary to that.

But as Wormtown suggests, false deployments are a really undesirable thing...

Lol at people responding to statler's sarcastic joke.

hehe ok got me; but I dunno it looks like harmless foam to most ppl; it's like pulling the emergency slide on an airplane (MAJOR pain in the ass to re-set, and potentially dangerous), but maybe ppl just think it's a harmless balloon.

Statler, I am learning your dry sarcasm ; )

To be fair, it can be really hard to read online. :) Sorry.

It is uncanny how every year around September 11th there is a day in Boston that has exactly the same weather as September 11th 2001. Today is such a day. Cold overnight and dry, just a hint of dew and the feeling that you need a jacket leaving the house followed by a completely cloudless morning.

Back