đź”· Open Thread

The only thing I like about the current place is how easy it is to get a ticket!

I dunno. A factor maybe. Even when Tampa has had decent teams (this year's team is not bad, but has weird pitching) the Tampons won't turn out.

Same deal with Marlins games.

Yes, that's because Tampa fans are terrible. A new stadium is not going to change that.

I don't know, even watching the Sox play there on TV is kind of soul-sucking. Can't really blame people for not wanting to visit the place.

It is like playing baseball in a Home Depot tin garden shed. The Yankees spring training "Legends Field" in Tampa is better!

Yes, that's because Tampa fans are terrible. A new stadium is not going to change that.

Yes, but location is a significant factor as well. St. Pete is 24 miles from Tampa and most of the population is on the Tampa side. If the Sox played in Foxborough, even with the lure of the lyrical little bandbox, they would not draw nearly as well.

Although this looks sort of nice it will be a disaster.... They've repeated the same mistakes of the old park: no retractable dome, no real grass. I believe I read somewhere the Rays are seeking $900 million in taxpayer money, this is completely unacceptable at that amount to not even get a retractable roof. They should also be 40k capacity or slightly more I think its supposed to only be 35k.

We all should be up in arms about these stadium deals, they will tax US. They always pass these taxes to tourists through hotel taxes, rental car taxes etc. My rental car in Arizona was taxed something insane like $35 to pay for their fucking stadium. A stadium a rich guy can pay for easily but would rather blackmail and pit cities against each other with fake numbers about economic vitality it will bring to the area. And the Dbacks want to leave their 20 year old (20 years!!!!) stadium for a new one bought by tax payers. This shit is unacceptable.

These stadium deals are redistribution of wealth from the working class to uber wealthy and they should be illegal. /sorry for the rant

I will be visiting family in an undisclosed suburb north of Boston this weekend.

I'm sad to admit, but I have never done any touristy activities north of Boston (unless you count Montreal).

Any suggestions for somewhere within a 90 minute drive that would be enjoyable for someone with limited mobility? Ie, they can walk, but they need to stop and sit frequently, so a day-hike in the mountains is not an option.

How is Lowell as a tourist? Or maybe a shore town instead?

I will be visiting family in an undisclosed suburb north of Boston this weekend.

I'm sad to admit, but I have never done any touristy activities north of Boston (unless you count Montreal).

Any suggestions for somewhere within a 90 minute drive that would be enjoyable for someone with limited mobility? Ie, they can walk, but they need to stop and sit frequently, so a day-hike in the mountains is not an option.

Gropius House in Lincoln!

https://www.historicnewengland.org/property/gropius-house/

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Gropi...ved=0ahUKEwjn6b2UhszcAhXEp1kKHUjpBbIQ_AUICygC

Saw this beautiful orange-colored building last week and thought of the Boulevard building under construction. Can anyone name this notable building and the city it is located in without using a reference (haha). (Hint below)

41964201820_6b664a7817_b.jpg

29902192008_c6e30df11e_b.jpg

It is listed in this beautifully presented program for “10 Buildings That Changed America”. https://interactive.wttw.com/ten/buildings#.W2D9zBpOmhA
The program also includes 10 Homes, Parks, Towns, Streets, Monuments, and Modern Marvels. One of the monuments is also from the same city.

Hint:
43773122471_9ba5803edf_b.jpg

Aw, that hint made it too easy, but I actually knew it before I saw the hint!

That's of course the Wainwright Building by Louis Sullivan in St. Louis!

Newburyport or Marblehead would be a lot more fun than Lowell

Newburyport or Marblehead would be a lot more fun than Lowell

Second Newburyport. It's a nice walk down a rail trail from the CR station, but given that you've noted mobility limitations, you might consider a quick Uber to downtown.

^ Gotta throw Rockport in there as well. Super compact, lovely ocean view, plenty of spots to sit, and cutesy lil' shops galore.

That's of course the Wainwright Building by Louis Sullivan in St. Louis!

Yes and let's not forget about it's sister building in Buffalo, the Prudential (nee Guarantee) Building, another stunner:

3828.jpg

Back