đź”· Open Thread

On another more self-serving note, I made the New York Post yesterday with my antics :D :D :D

https://pagesix.com/2018/07/31/theres-a-serial-farter-on-the-loose-in-the-west-village/

43071627574_f3975ff63f_z.jpg

^ Gotta throw Rockport in there as well. Super compact, lovely ocean view, plenty of spots to sit, and cutesy lil' shops galore.

Yes and let's not forget about it's sister building in Buffalo, the Prudential (nee Guarantee) Building, another stunner:

3828.jpg

It was a golden age of architecture.

Yes, another building designed by Louis Sullivan. I read where Buffalo trumpets architectural tourism, I may pay a visit some day. Buffalo’s Art Deco City Hall is gargantuan.

I will be visiting family in an undisclosed suburb north of Boston this weekend.

I'm sad to admit, but I have never done any touristy activities north of Boston (unless you count Montreal).

Any suggestions for somewhere within a 90 minute drive that would be enjoyable for someone with limited mobility? Ie, they can walk, but they need to stop and sit frequently, so a day-hike in the mountains is not an option.

How is Lowell as a tourist? Or maybe a shore town instead?

Lowell isn't great as a stop for tourists. Cool town to visit if you live in Boston (my brother is there, at at Lowell Burger Company on Monday), but I can't imagine picking Lowell over Portsmouth, Newburyport, Rockport/Gloucester, etc. Go there. Preferably Portsmouth. Portland, ME might even work in your 90 minute range (albeit at the edge of it). If so, maybe go there. I think you'll be happy you chose those places over Lowell. Plenty of benches/parks/restaurants and spaces to stop and sit in each.

If you've never been, take the ferry to Provincetown for a day.

Newburyport or Marblehead would be a lot more fun than Lowell

Agree with Newburyport. Marblehead is beautiful, but more residential then touristy. I think Salem would be better for a tourist. If you're into art the Peabody Essex museam is worth a visit.

And Rockport is what I'd say is the most picturesque town on the north shore.

Alright, Newburyport, Rockport, and Portsmouth all look interesting

Thanks!

With ubiquitous glass architecture present today, it’s nice to be able to fall back on Mr. Wright’s Prairie Style earth tones. Such a brand name.

It's a lot of driving, but may be a good fit for those with limited mobility:

Take a very scenic drive around Marblehead neck, Marblehead, then up the coast through Beverly Farms, Manchester by the Sea, Gloucester, go over to the Eastern point part of gloucester, the Rudder restaurant is a great time in the rocky neck area of that part of Gloucester. You can finish up in Rockport.

^ That's my ideal north shore drive: Marblehead to Rockport, and especially hitting up the rocky coast of the eastern peninsula of Gloucester. My girlfriend and I did almost this exact route (starting in Salem) back in June and we ended the day on those awesome rocks. I used to love coming here as a kid.

42064027864_353e1a5e61_b.jpg

42064025484_ca714cc4b5_b.jpg

40970499660_7d50c9e289_b.jpg

Completely random but is anyone a member of Boston Sports Club. Pros? Cons? I hear there's a billion of hidden fees and cancellation is near impossible but would like to hear more recent experiences (i.e. I want someone to tell me it will be ok to join BSC and they won't pinch me of every cent I have).

Completely random but is anyone a member of Boston Sports Club. Pros? Cons? I hear there's a billion of hidden fees and cancellation is near impossible but would like to hear more recent experiences (i.e. I want someone to tell me it will be ok to join BSC and they won't pinch me of every cent I have).

I have the regional passport on a one year commitment (slightly less expensive than the month to month) and use it daily since there's a BSC near my office, and one in Davis. I was hesitant at first because it's pricey, but it's been worth it so far. I haven't tried to cancel. My girlfriend successfully canceled (her company now pays the membership) with relative ease, so I guess it's like anything else - pay attention to the fine print before committing to anything. Maybe start with a month to month?

I have heard people have trouble if the do something like sign up for the regional passport for a year, realize they only use one gym, and try to switch to a neighborhood plan and are told "no." I've also heard people having trouble getting out of their contract before it's up. Almost any scenario I've seen is relatively easily avoidable. Canceling month to month is easy (though you won't get the remained of the month back if you cancel before the end of the month), and the year contracts lock you in for a year.

*edit* Check with your employer. I know a lot of firms that actually offer BSC memberships as a perk (unfortunately, not the case for me). Insurers often times offer reimbursements on gym memberships too (My plan offers $300 per year). So there are ways to make it less of a pain.

I have the regional passport on a one year commitment (slightly less expensive than the month to month) and use it daily since there's a BSC near my office, and one in Davis. I was hesitant at first because it's pricey, but it's been worth it so far. I haven't tried to cancel. My girlfriend successfully canceled (her company now pays the membership) with relative ease, so I guess it's like anything else - pay attention to the fine print before committing to anything. Maybe start with a month to month?

I have heard people have trouble if the do something like sign up for the regional passport for a year, realize they only use one gym, and try to switch to a neighborhood plan and are told "no." I've also heard people having trouble getting out of their contract before it's up. Almost any scenario I've seen is relatively easily avoidable. Canceling month to month is easy (though you won't get the remained of the month back if you cancel before the end of the month), and the year contracts lock you in for a year.

*edit* Check with your employer. I know a lot of firms that actually offer BSC memberships as a perk (unfortunately, not the case for me). Insurers often times offer reimbursements on gym memberships too (My plan offers $300 per year). So there are ways to make it less of a pain.
Thanks for the input Lrfox! Have you ever been charged a maintenance fee and/or see your monthly fee increase without any notification?

I wasnt able to visit Portsmouth last weekend due to the weather

However, I did notice new development in Burlington MA, but cant find the right thread for it. Near the newish Wegmans, across from Burlington Mall. Anyone have better searching skills?

I wasnt able to visit Portsmouth last weekend due to the weather

However, I did notice new development in Burlington MA, but cant find the right thread for it. Near the newish Wegmans, across from Burlington Mall. Anyone have better searching skills?

I believe you're talking about 3rdAve Burlington, a decent-sized new urbanist development that extends directly off the Turnpike, ya?

http://www.3rdaveburlington.com/

Otherwise I couldn't tell you... there's new buildings sprouting around there all the time.

Thanks for the input Lrfox! Have you ever been charged a maintenance fee and/or see your monthly fee increase without any notification?

Sorry for not replying sooner... I never look at this thread. To answer your question, no I haven't. The only time I have been charged extra is the handful of times I've skipped a class I signed up for without canceling. It's $5. But to be honest, I sometimes don't get charged for that either.

Back