đź”· Open Thread

Suffolk 83 Re: Open Thread
Hey Crash do you happen to know anything about Oakley CC? How does it compare to other golf courses locally?

I don't golf so I can't help you out. However, I used to sled there as kid. Nice hills.

It was so much easier when I could just put up "Hippies use back door - NO EXCEPTIONS!" and call it a day. Then all those damn kids had to break up into subcultures to make matters more difficult. Now how the heck am I supposed to keep the off my lawn?

im-not-a-hipster.gif

So I just did a full-store inventory at AE (Marketplace Center) and the T wasn't running (obviously) when I got out, so I took a cab... Well the cabbie took me to Cleveland Circle instead of Brigham Circle. At first I really didn't care that we were going a completely asinine route because AE was paying for it, but then I got suspicious when we were heading down Beacon St past Coolidge Corner...

He was nice though and shut off the meter and asked me to pay him what I normally pay ($14) after we arrived 30 minutes later...

I don't need any of this stuff, but I want all of it.

Globe:
Putting a price on antique printing
Presses, lead letters, and other contents of old North End plant going up for auction

[...]Row after row of creaky oak drawers hold thousands of letters, both metal type and wooden blocks, from fine print to 72-point Tudor. A cigar box brims with square block stamps of the city seal. And there are metal etchings of a few of the city?s forefathers, presumably used years ago to print their faces on official documents.

One picture bears the label ?Clem Norton,?? the Hyde Park political legend whose 1979 obituary led with an anecdote about him meeting a ?bright-eyed lad named John Fitzgerald Kennedy?? at a birthday party for his grandfather, John (Honey Fitz) Fitzgerald, former mayor of Boston. Another 1-inch by 1 1/2-inch etching captured the unmistakable mug of Lawrence S. DiCara, a former City Council president.

[...]

The etchings, city seals, and alphabet after alphabet of dusty type will be sold as a single lot along with oak cabinets and other accoutrements of old-fashioned printing. That means a bidder cannot buy just a single object, such as the curving block of Old English type that says ?The City of Boston.?? If someone really wants, for instance, that etching of Norton or DiCara, it will come with enough equipment to fill an antique print shop.

[...]

The sale will include about 200 lots, from a row of oak file cabinets from the 1930s or 1940s to an Art Deco-style grandfather clock made by IBM. The auction will comprise plenty of modern printing equipment, including paper cutters, collators, saddle stitch staplers, and even a massive Heidelberg four-color press.

[...]

Some may be looking for an old-fashioned platen press with a hand lever and foot pedal. Or one of the gangly Linotype machines that stand 6 1/2 feet tall and still have silver-colored mounds of shaved lead where operators once placed their feet.

?I don?t know the age of them, but they come from the days of Ben Franklin, in terms of the process,?? said Paul R. Dennehy, who was superintendent of the graphic arts department when it closed. ?I used to run them in the ?60s, and they weren?t new then.??

[...]

ANOTHER foot of snow tomorrow?! FUCK YOU MOTHER NATURE

/sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays

We watched "Man on Wire" over the weekend "On Demand". It is a really well-done documentary about the guy who walked on a tight-rope between the two Twin Towers.

The people are interesting and the way they went about planning and executing the feat is amazing. It includes loads of video of the planning; apparently they were cognizant that people would want to see how they did it.

They interview most, if not all, those who were involved in the scheme, current day.

It's only about an hour and ten minutes long so easy to watch.

http://www.manonwire.com/

The movie trailer:

http://www.manonwire.com/trailer.swf

180173_1569807205423_1242750179_31260232_1051862_n.jpg

WHERE WILL WE PUT 16 INCHES? MY DRIVEWAY IS THE GRAND FUCKING CANYON. GODDAMN SUBURBAN LIVING!

You know, I was just thinking how this is the first winter since I lived in Buffalo that I'm actually feeling fatigued by the weather. But I should add that where Buffalo left me feeling glum, this is has me more annoyed than anything else.

Also, even though Buffalo gets tons of snow, it was the constant 30 mph winds that really got to me. And I suppose the skies...that ugly, ugly Buffagrey.

Back