đź”· Open Thread

That's so sad to hear, but it's amazing that he made such an impact on younger and older people alike with his online presence.

Anyone want a FREE cabana with Corinthian columns?

Craigslist Free said:
INSURED CONTRACTORS ONLY

FREE for the taking, do with what you wish...
Repair and resell the Cabana.
Trash the Cabana and sell the Columns (prob. worth $1000).

00F0F_bGa6jzBQPQX_600x450.jpg
00X0X_eGTzMamtHuv_600x450.jpg

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/zip/4011838288.html

#Salisburyproblems

That's so sad to hear, but it's amazing that he made such an impact on younger and older people alike with his online presence.

He was truly an asset to the entire Boston community. As I posted on RR.net, he was always so informative and interesting with his unfathomable knowledge. And it wasn't until his passing that I realized how important he was in his time at BPD (and how he was still a officer of BPD until not all that long ago, really...). He will truly be missed, and we lost a great man.

That's almost tantamount to a density map of the USA.

It would be much more interesting to see at a city-level, and instead of drive, it should be time to walk.

I've thought about doing that, but AggData costs money, and I haven't had time to sit down and manually pinpoint the grocery stores around Boston.

Some movie shoot on West St now. Denzel Washington and some other folks if you are into that stuff.

I'm missing the point of a cloaked tower... it's just a gimmick?

I rarely post on this site because I'm not an architect, nor do I know very much about architecture. I'm afraid I can't talk/write very intelligently on the subject. Also, I live in NYC, so posting pictures of Boston would be difficult for me.

I grew up in the Boston area, so it's nice to see the progression and development of the city and its surroundings, especially the pictures that people on this board take. I also enjoy reading the comments of numerous experts on this site who are either involved with architecture and/or real estate and/or local activism and/or government.

But as of late, there seem to be a few people on this site who have made it their goal to be downright insulting to anyone who doesn't fit their ideology. There are always going to be a few people who lack the ability to argue without personal attacks, but the number seems to have increased in the last few months. It's really making it very difficult to to read/learn anything about Boston development.

I understand that being nasty online has become ingrained in our culture. If you turn on the TV to watch the news or read the comments section of newspapers, all you see it pundits trying to score points on the other guys. I hate it, but there's not much I can do but stop watching/reading. This is an architecture site, and the results of these arguments are hardly life and death. Why don't we start a new trend of civility to each other?

Last edited:
I rarely post on this site because I'm not an architect, nor do I know very much about architecture. I'm afraid I can't talk/write very intelligently on the subject. Also, I live in NYC, so posting pictures of Boston would be difficult for me.

I grew up in the Boston area, so it's nice to see the progression and development of the city and its surroundings, especially the pictures that people on this board take. I also enjoy reading the comments of numerous experts on this site who are either involved with architecture and/or real estate and/or local activism and/or government.

But as of late, there seem to be a few people on this site who have made it their goal to be downright insulting to anyone who doesn't fit their ideology. There are always going to be a few people who lack the ability to argue without personal attacks, but the number seems to have increased in the last few months. It's really making it very difficult to to read/learn anything about Boston development.

I understand that being nasty online has become ingrained in our culture. If you turn on the TV to watch the news or read the comments section of newspapers, all you see it pundits trying to score points on the other guys. I hate it, but there's not much I can do but stop watching/reading. This is an architecture site, and the results of these arguments are hardly life and death. Why don't we start a new trend of civility to each other?

Somewhere there was a whole argument (somewhat perpetuated by myself) about stopping a user who kept derailing every conversation into an argument at how everything wasn't tall enough. Fit was thrown at the shan and eventually something was done about the user (ever wonder why some threads have "ghost" pages?) after much debate about the quality of moderation on here. It solved the issue for a while, but it seems there will always be users who insist on posting personal attacks and inane bs.

I will say I frequent this site as much as I do because of the intelligence of most of the users and the civility. Part of the issue may be that many users enjoy a spirited debate, and therefore jump at the opportunity to prove someone wrong. A debate is, however, different from just all out name calling. Agreeing to disagree at a point, or just realizing you're up against a concrete wall is important.

I personally do think a conversation about moderation needs to happen again. It's a fine line though, as F-line and other rr.net posters (myself included) can attest to, over moderation can be just as bad, if not worse, then a few rogue users who insist on making ad homonym attacks at every chance. I very occasionally read alternate history's threads too, and over moderation there is also extreme, to say the least.

I just feel the need to tread lightly, as I have no idea what briv gets out of this site, but I can't imagine hosting or the vBulletin software is cheap, and the lack of adds is great. The needs of the community are important, but I imagine it must be like having your kids turn into teenagers and tell you to go to hell because they know better.

Constant disturbances get banned, simple as that. Armpits, your time here is limited if you don't cut the crap.

Thanks for that...I'm a sucker for WWII stuff, especially the color pics.

That link doesn't work anymore?

Regarding Roxbury, it's a large neighborhood geographically and parts of it are full of Victorian-style single-family homes.

If I had to choose between Roxbury and West Roxbury, I'm pretty sure I'd prefer to live in Roxbury. It's more convenient to downtown, it has a "urban" edge to it, and it has a lot of potential to improve.

But, let's be clear - plenty of people love living in Roxbury and aren't dodging bullets or ordering caskets every day of the week.

Back