đź”· Open Thread

Bostonography's doing their collaborative neighborhood mapping exercise again, take a look and draw some neighborhoods:

http://bostonography.com/hoods/

This is real good.

xiXGkRu.jpg

Sorry if this was posted on here before but I didn't see it.

Fun way to visualize Boston compared to other major cities around the globe, in population, land area, and density.

How Big is Boston, Actually?

How Boston's city limits compare to cities and landmarks around the world.

Boston is famous for many things: revolutionary history, colonial architecture, educational institutions, sports fanaticism. But as more Americans return to cities seeking a more urban lifestyle than the suburbs offer, Boston is gaining fame for another of its unique characteristics: its old-world urbanism. For an American city, Boston is compact, dense, and walkable. These qualities make Boston feel like both a big city and a small city at the same time.

But how big is Boston, actually? Is Boston really more akin to the size and density of a European city, or is it just slightly smaller than its massive American siblings? As it turns out, Boston's size may surprise you. Boston is of course far smaller and more densely populated than Los Angeles -- but it's also smaller and denser than Amsterdam. Paris, on the other hand, is only a few square miles smaller but packs in a million and a half more people.

In order to give our readers a more intuitive sense of these differences, we drew an outline of Boston's city limits using a handy tool called MAPfrappe. This tool allows us to move our outline around the map, recalculating the outline's size and shape to account for the map's 2D Mercator Projection distortions, allowing accurate size comparisons no matter what latitude or longitude we drag it to.

Look along the side of the 1st page of the Development Projects forum. So many gray squares. These are the good times. Enjoy it. :)

Just in 5 minutes I saw one guy run into the middle to take a picture of the graffiti. A car went around the circle 4 times, and another one went around 2 times with a camera sticking out the window. Then the police showed up and covered it up with a van. Wild times...

Just in 5 minutes I saw one guy run into the middle to take a picture of the graffiti. A car went around the circle 4 times, and another one went around 2 times with a camera sticking out the window. Then the police showed up and covered it up with a van. Wild times...

Lol I watched a car circle twice too. Now the feed is dead.

Re: Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

I couldn't agree more with this comment

I so tired of Boston mayors with delusions who think they can block people from opening businesses because of their social views.

Sorry, Marty. You that's illegal and if you try it, you'll end up costing taxpayers big dollars in the resulting fines/lawsuits.

Don't be ignorant.

from
http://www.boston.com/news/politics...nYkkPOmMRnXL/story.html?p1=feature_stack_1_hp

Re: Copley Place Expansion and Tower | Back Bay

I couldn't agree more with this comment

I so tired of Boston mayors with delusions who think they can block people from opening businesses because of their social views.

Sorry, Marty. You that's illegal and if you try it, you'll end up costing taxpayers big dollars in the resulting fines/lawsuits.

Don't be ignorant.

from
http://www.boston.com/news/politics...nYkkPOmMRnXL/story.html?p1=feature_stack_1_hp
Why is this in the Copley Place thread??

Darn it. I thought something exciting was happening. Moving along...

Per UHub:

Vivian Li is trading ocean vistas for the river views of Pittsburgh: TribLive reports Li, longtime head of the Boston Harbor Association, starts Oct. 1 as president and CEO of RiverLife Pittsburgh.

The Vivian Li story is shocking, in my opinion. Lots more to be said, no doubt. She seemed to be a major obstructionist to development in the Seaport and along the Waterfront but now that she's leaving I can't help but have mixed emotions.

A lot of "long-timers" who care/cared about the city are leaving and/or dying. I don't think we'll see the same level of interest from residents / organizations over the coming years. Yes, that might be a good thing, but something to recognize and respect, regardless.

The Vivian Li story is shocking, in my opinion. Lots more to be said, no doubt. She seemed to be a major obstructionist to development in the Seaport and along the Waterfront but now that she's leaving I can't help but have mixed emotions.

A lot of "long-timers" who care/cared about the city are leaving and/or dying. I don't think we'll see the same level of interest from residents / organizations over the coming years. Yes, that might be a good thing, but something to recognize and respect, regardless.

I agree. She fought against a lot of development, but she also fought for other various harbor improvements.

Oh that'd brilliant. I wish I could see their face when they find out the truth.

Back