đź”· Open Thread

Meanwhile in Ukraine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0rplcH32g
Russian criminal cannon fodder demonstrating neo-soviet tactical brilliance or lack thereof.

Open field liesurely being strolled across + exceeding ideal engagement distance of man portable anti-tank weapons + BTR petrol tanks experiencing penetrating hits = a satisfyingly warm and righteous feeling for ukrainian tankers ensues. Oh and the Russians get a warm feeling of their own complients of their own petrol.

Between the hate for the Millenium Tower and a crowded room of people fighting against the Egleston Square development, it's like everybody forgot Economics 101, or maybe never bothered to understand the fundamentals of supply and demand in the first place.

people: "Hey! Housing is too expensive! I can't find a place to live that I can afford!"

developers: "Alright, I'll build more housing!"

people: "No! You're evil! How dare you!"

It's quite simple really... They want to keep their apartments without anything changing.

Agreed. But outright opposition to new housing based on the grounds that "housing is unaffordable" is something that we, here, have to recognize as a very foolish stance.

This is very different than, "we need to do x in addition to encouraging the building of market-rate units." Or "we need to do y to spur the development of market-rate or subsidized or luxury developments."

That is the level of discourse that we strive for here. When it devolves into "stop building more expensive housing. My housing is already expensive" which is an extremely obvious fallacy, that's when it blows my mind.

**SIGH**

W5d6y1W.png

Then why the fuck did you travel to some other place? If you you don't want to see the culture... Whats the point then...

Then why the fuck did you travel to some other place? If you you don't want to see the culture... Whats the point then...

I'm wondering the same thing. Could have saved a lot of money to stay home and have nearly the same experience. :confused:

It clearly says they are visiting their family in Taiwan, not just going there for no reason. It never hurts to have comfort food when travelling abroad. I don't really see what the problem is. Whenever I felt homesick in Berlin, I just went to a Starbucks & had my hot choco or Kaisers & got some (ridiculously expensive) Oreos. We also used to call McD's the American Embassy.

No doubt. I ate at McDonald's a few times when I went to Prague.

The difference is that I wasn't looking forward to it and it certainly wasn't my favorite tourist destination.

Is there a thread for (or where we have talked about) traffic congestion in Boston and possible solutions?

USA Today posted this this morning.

90E0JAS.jpg

Worcester's on here too:
8ZTGDS2.jpg

It's that moronic TTI report again. Take everything they say with a huge grain of salt.

http://cityobservatory.org/another-tall-tale-from-the-texas-transportation-institute/

The trouble with TTI’s work is that, to put it bluntly, it’s simply wrong. For one, their core measure of congestion costs—the “travel time index”—only looks at how fast people can travel, and completely ignores how far they have to go. As a result, it makes sprawling cities with fast roads between far-flung destinations look good, while penalizing more compact cities where people actually spend less time—and money—traveling from place to place. These and other problems, discussed below, mean that the TTI report is not a useful guide to policy.

Bridgeport and Hartford are both 500k+ cities (by some measure of metro area)? Didn't know that.

By urban area (the most accurate measure of a "city and suburbs" size we have today), they are both ~920,000.

For perspective, NYC is 18,000,000 and Boston is 4,200,000.

No doubt. I ate at McDonald's a few times when I went to Prague.

The difference is that I wasn't looking forward to it and it certainly wasn't my favorite tourist destination.

I never eat at McDonalds when I'm back in the States, but I go there once a week in Malaysia. Sometimes I just need to get away from the local food.

Back