đź”· Open Thread

Wut.

So, this forum is pronounced "ark-boston", as in "arkitecture"???!!!!!!!!

Bought and read "Heroic: Concrete Architecture and the New Boston". Really glad I did. It was a fine reminder that for 10 years, Boston was at the forefront of "hip" architecture, and people were really proud of being on the cutting edge. It was an exciting time!

Say what you want about "Brutalism", but it wasn't the trailing edge of fashion we get today. All this "pearl clutching" one reads about in the posts isn't old Boston, its a product of today's "play it safe" culture! Maybe it should be "participation trophy clutching".

The google doodle today is in honor of Jane Jacobs. Just thought that was a fun little tidbit to mention.

Is Mayor walsh doing a good job or is he looking like a one termer...

Not really sure about the general public but he is probably well liked on here. He's much more pro-development compared to Menino. And hey being mayor of Boston is a lifetime position :D.

^ WOW! Thanks Toby.

And glad you enjoyed Heroic -- it's a must read for anyone with a casual interest in the history of modernism in Boston.

Not really sure about the general public but he is probably well liked on here. He's much more pro-development compared to Menino. And hey being mayor of Boston is a lifetime position :D.

Yeah. He would really have to mess up badly to not be re-elected. So long as he plays nice with the unions he will be fine. Mumbles got a little testy with them, especially with the Fire Dept, but by then he was firmly entrenched and not going anywhere.

It's nice to see developers who would have never dared to pitch something taking an interest. We could get some real nice stuff built here if the markets stay strong.

Reading R/Boston , it seems people want him gone...

People are pissed about:

• The city's handling of the winter of '15, with roads and sidewalks not being clear and business unable to be conducted, but that has dissipated a bit now that we are a year+ removed from that debacle and people see it as a freak ocurrence. If the elections were held last year, he'd be out.
  • His handling of the Olympics. But, anger has also subsided over that once he didn't get his way and the Olympics didn't come to fruition. If the Oympics were still happening, or if the elections were held during that fight, he'd be out.
  • His stated, and acted, bias towards Clinton during the campaign/primary season. I don't think this one is as big of a deal to people, but in a closely contested primary, I know a lot of Bernie fans who were not happy at the time. With such high unfavorability, hitching your wagon to Hillary does not help win votes. For comparison, it seems Baker has won more people than he lost by saying he won't vote for either in the presidential election.
  • His continued anti-marijuana stance. A lot of people see it as hypocritical and going against the will of the majority of Boston residents, much like his pro-Olympics stance.

All in all, he'd probably be more well liked if he didn't constantly throw his hat in the ring on polarizing issues that he ultimately has little control over: Hillary, Olympics, marijuana.

In short:

• Few people are wild about him, but there's still street signs up in town that say "Mayor Thomas M. Menino" that they forgot to change out so a lot of low-information folks don't even know who their mayor is.
  • He's kinda OK on some stuff, kinda sucky on some stuff, but the majority of stuff just happens whether there's anyone there or not. This means something, even though I can't put my finger on what exactly.
  • In a competitive election, he'd probably lose at the rate that generic first-termers are statistically likely to lose at. But trying at this point to pick a live human being or reasonable facsimile of one off that thin, thin, so very depressingly thin political bench in town is an exercise in brainlock. And look...now you're drooling all over your shirt [*pulls paper towel out, starts hurriedly wiping*]. Wake up!
  • He speaks affirmingly of somewhat distasteful politicians, which is a trait I really find distasteful in a politician. Which politicians does he kiss-ass with? I don't know...the crazy one? The one who lies all the time? That one with ethics problems? You know...the one everyone hates: Senator McSenatorface! Except for everyone else who hates that other person, Capt. Congress Q. Douchemeister, much much worse. Then I'm mad at him for having his picture taken that one time. (Heh-heh, douche)
  • Don't harsh on the herb, brah.

I think that's it. Or maybe I'm not quite good at interpreting the nuanced political sociology of a group whose TweetDecks are stacked full of up-to-the-minute news feeds on the prevailing controversies of the day in the world of gaming consoles.

But trying at this point to pick a live human being or reasonable facsimile of one off that thin, thin, so very depressingly thin political bench in town is an exercise in brainlock.

The council's recent effort to prevent you from running for more than one office may lock up his position even more strongly. You can only make the jump if you're willing to give up your seat.

"The Underline’s forthcoming ten-mile pedestrian and bike path will connect South Miami, Coral Cables and Miami, offering an easy transportation solution for the busy area (and an unmatched new spot for runners and cyclists). Plus, in collaboration with Miami-Dade County Art in Public Places, the path will also become a venue for impressive permanent and temporary outdoor art installations to reflect and support Miami’s thriving art scene. It will ultimately connect South Miami Station, University Station, Douglas Road Station, Coconut Grove Station, Vizcaya Station and Brickell Station."

http://onforb.es/23Yr9BD

I have a question for the more numerically inclined AB members.

There is a point in Fall River (North End) that's elevated and faces North and has a relatively unobstructed view (just south of Katie Ct. for those interested in playing with Google Maps). I swear that on a clear day, I can just make out hints of the Boston skyline in the distance. I'm not sure this is even possible though. The elevation of the spot is about 132 feet, and the distance to downtown Boston as the crow flies is just under 42 miles. A horizon calculator indicated that at that elevation, the horizon is about 17-18 miles away. But considering that Boston's tallest buildings over 700 feet, and many are over 500, I'm wondering if it's possible to see the tops of them? Even if the numbers are right, the Blue Hills may get in the way (I'm fairly certain I can see Great Blue Hill from that same spot). I should add- this is always from a moving vehicle, so I haven't had time to sit and look.

I used this calculator ( http://members.home.nl/7seas/radcalc.htm ) and, allegedly,from an elevation of 132 feet, a 600 foot structure should be visible from around 44 miles away. So in theory, if there are no obstacles in the direct line of sight, I should be able to at least see the tops of the Hancock, Pru, MT, the Fed, 1BP, and International Place (all 600+ not including base elevation) on a clear day. I know that from the same elevation I can clearly see all of downtown Providence when I look West (I've actually posted photos of that years ago) which is right around the 16-17 mile range.

Any thoughts before I grab the binoculars and creep out the residents in the neighborhood next time I'm in the area? I'm sure I'm missing something important. I know this type of crap is minutia, but I'd be excited to confirm that I can actually see Boston from Fall River.

Last edited:
Not to get all whighlander on you ... but it's also possible that under certain weather conditions the atmosphere acts as a lens, allowing you to 'over the horizon' by just a little bit...

Not sure if anyone caught this article about the BRA in the Harvard Crimson:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2016/5/4/bra-seeks-fresh-coat-paint-feature/

What's interesting is the first commenter's polemic unleashed upon the BRA. I do not mean to make a big deal out of one commenter's post in an article that was likely scarcely read, but in seriousness, I wonder what the pro-smart-development community (e.g., many of us) can do to improve the toxic situation. If this person is who I think it is, then s/he is able to derail projects with his/her activism. And while the BRA clearly needs reform (and must be reformed), I refuse to believe that this city doesn't get an ounce of benefit from BRA-approved projects as s/he implies.

How can we as community members improve the development culture in our city? A daunting task, but perhaps one we can chip away at, slowly but surely.

(FYI, I do not have a dog in this fight; I am not associated with the BRA, city government, nor any developer. I am a boston condo owner & resident).

Back