🔹 What's Happening With Project X?

A: Envoy Hotel, Complete
B: One Seaport Square, Under Construction
C: One Seaport Square, Under Construction
D: Old Our Lady of Good Voyage Chapel, TBD
F: District Hall, Complete, & Seaport Memorial Park, Under Construction
G: TBD
H: New Our Lady of Good Voyage, Under Construction, & Boston Global Investors Office Building, Under Construction
J: Yotel Hotel, Under Construction
K: Watermark Seaport, Complete
L1: 101 Seaport Blvd, PWC Building, Complete
L2: 121 Seaport Blvd, Skanska spec office, Under Construction
L3-L6: TBD
M1-M2: Cottonwood Development mixed use, Proposed
N: TBD
P: TBD
Q: Q park, Complete

You are a god. Thank you!

Can this get transferred into the overall Seaport Square thread?

I was searching on Google for old images of S.Station Tower proposal and kept finding images of South Bay/Gateway Center. What ever happened to that? Was that during the last cycle and just never went because the bubble burst? Is that still on the backburner somewhere deep inside a developer's portfolio?

That is awesome. So, in a matter of months, everything will be open except G, L3-L6, N, and P. Then, I guess attention would probably turn to the un(der)-developed lots to the South and East. Has there been any planning yet to develop the massive parking lots south of Summer Street or around E Street?

I was searching on Google for old images of S.Station Tower proposal and kept finding images of South Bay/Gateway Center. What ever happened to that? Was that during the last cycle and just never went because the bubble burst? Is that still on the backburner somewhere deep inside a developer's portfolio?

southstationtower.jpg

^ Thats the original South Station Tower proposal. This is the old south bay towers proposal. These parcels as we speak are being shopped to developers and we should hear something this year not sure how soon.

SouthBayTower2.jpg

^ Thats the original South Station Tower proposal. This is the old south bay towers proposal. These parcels as we speak are being shopped to developers and we should hear something this year not sure how soon.

Yes. I know. ngb was looking for old images of the South Station proposal.

Thanks both^. I actually saw posts of the old design in the SST thread just now as well. I'm curious what will become of South Bay. Thanks for the info.

Thanks both^. I actually saw posts of the old design in the SST thread just now as well. I'm curious what will become of South Bay. Thanks for the info.

NGB -- That tower is histoire! -- the original South Bay tower site is on the periphery of the master development opportunity that is being made available by the Commonwealth which includes the old Wang which then became a DOT building and also the Veolia Energy steam plant and some parking lots. The tower site itself is likely to be a park

from the BBJ article
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/8517932/185-kneeland-st-boston*750xx851-479-0-66.png
State offering large downtown parcel near I-93 up for redevelopment
Feb 9, 2016, 10:00am EST
A 5.5-acre state-owned parcel of land between Chinatown and South Station is being made available for redevelopment, creating as much as 2 million square feet of new construction, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker and Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh announced this morning.
The site is located at 185 and 165 Kneeland St., currently home to the District 6 headquarters for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway Conservancy office and the Veolia Energy steam plant.

data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,sVgvZ3_NSjYBCVpzvwviRcI99OO56Vwy8euYdyzO1fEsTk2Z20T-sf0W2k2zoEdoUU-PHSaOGcG9NVUskaO8w6KXv1OlkpB3q_GbzW9YyeBnpMP7yOUwRVvR8NtvV5w

This will be a very big development and will take some very deep pocket investors -- stay tuned as this is probably in the next cycle

Last edited:
Such a ridiculous joke.
Still holding out hope (on this and SST) for something great until I hear otherwise.

The BRA is supposed to make an announcement on which proposal they are selecting on the 21st or something if I remember correctly.

The BRA is supposed to make an announcement on which proposal they are selecting on the 21st or something if I remember correctly.

The 21st is the date that responses to the RFP are due. A decision on which proposal they select will take some time after that.

Yep, i'm trying to be optimistic in the face of the collapse of Europe, USA and the greater western world.

but, until any of these big towers go up, we're simply the capital of turd towers USA.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Theres nothing set in stone but there are placeholders so far.

Bottom Right- I would imagine the end result looks very close to this.
01.seaport-square.jpg

For all the bashing I do on the Seaport. This rendering does seem promising.
If the floor plans can connect to the sidewalk and make a friendly pedestrian flow. Maybe the walks to the Seaport won't be that bad after crossing the bridge.

The only real negative factor will be the lack of innovation from the MBTA to help connect these areas to flow more efficiently

Great PICS--A waterfront for the 21st century in which Bostonians can be proud of.

(Like we never left the Flintstone Era)

The last photo on the Harbor Garage thread is gruesome. I wrote the following in the Globe some time ago...

The city needs to come up with a solution to sinking of the Harbor Garage for a single, 600’ tower.... Don Chiofaro and Prudential need 1.1~1.2M sq ft of space, and Boston will have it’s first and last 180m tower along the waterfront.

People don’t need to fear that a single tall tower will destroy the waterfront. The entire area down here is virtually built.

The real agenda behind the Harbor Towers’ objection to the Garage redevelopment is their
1. temporary loss of parking.
2. permanent loss of DIRECT LINE OF SIGHT to the Greenway, Custom House, Public Market, and for those living up in the higher floors, views out toward (Beacon Hill and the Esplanade).
At street level, the existing garage’s footprint is absolutely huge…. The 310’ long building is blocking nearly 100% of the view to the harbor from behind the Greenway.

To sell the project to the people, the Chiofaro/Pru Group and the BRA need to do a single tower of 1.1M sq ft on a footprint of about 40% of the site…

With Chiofaro’s tower located the northeast side of the property, the Greenway expands onto the (now), humongous lawn with the wide open harbor at the rear inviting visitors to the harborwalk and docks. Visibility to the harbor is horizontal. If a tower gets built 12 stories or 54 stories, at street level, the view of the waterfront running back up Milk and India Street/s is the same.

This is why the single tower idea works.

Maybe do a Z-shaped walkway across the massive lawn for people coming from the Public Market (+ a rink on one of the enclosed sections in the winter)… New residents from the surrounding neighborhoods can join in ‘skating at the harborwalk.’

Our city can not allow a good project to die over 200,000 sq ft over the only significant structure that will be built in the area for a very long, long, long time.

Does anyone have any info on whats going to go between 50 liberty and one marina park drive? Its weird that with all of the development going on in the city not 1 peep has been said about this parcel.

I believe that was planned to be an office building. I had assumed they are either quietly looking for a tenant before doing anything or they aren't ready to start that until they are done with all the residential so they haven't bothered to mention it.

This is what should have been built at 111 Huntington - with the thick base of the architectural top reaching 300m (and getting our supertall). Then we could have gone back to doing 180~230mn the last of our skyscraper parcels as we do quite well.

I'll continue to take the position that people who claiim we're going to pull a high number, say a dozen or two more skyscraper parcels out of the high spine; when you consider infrastructural barriers, costs, FAA limits, historical and other significant contemporary buildings now put to good use, shadows over green patches and other considerations such as the politics that go with building tall in some parts of some neighborhoods where you would be doing that - are in error.

Due to the complexities of permitting and building, the current cycle is going to take a 'bit longer' to complete. But after that, there's going to be a significant pause of the scale of height/s we're seeing in the 10 or so buildings currently planned for over 150m.

In any case, this is a very exciting time; Boston is showing it's might! i welcome a small-scale Vancouverization.

Last edited:

Back