🔹 What's Happening With Project X?

Any news on what is going on with the abandoned Star Market lot in Winter Hill Somerville? Last I read the city was pushing to invoke eminent domain.

With the apartment and retail development wrapping up across the street off Temple, I would think this would be a major focus for the city.

I suspect the future of that Rite-Aid is also up in the air, given that it's practically next door to a Walgreens and those two company's proposed merger is under antitrust review. Since those locations are clearly direct competitors they'd probably be forced to sell one off (reportedly to Fred's) in the event of a merger. But as we've seen with other recent mergers those divestitures frequently don't work out. Long story short, that lot may become even more empty before too long...

It grinds my gears every time I pass by there that Curtatone thought he was too good for an Ocean State Job Lot. So thanks to him, we've now had an empty lot instead for nearly a decade...

i live down the street and have been wondering about this and searching for info on a regular basis -- haven't found any type of update more recent than last spring.

I suspect the future of that Rite-Aid is also up in the air, given that it's practically next door to a Walgreens and those two company's proposed merger is under antitrust review. Since those locations are clearly direct competitors they'd probably be forced to sell one off (reportedly to Fred's) in the event of a merger. But as we've seen with other recent mergers those divestitures frequently don't work out. Long story short, that lot may become even more empty before too long...

It grinds my gears every time I pass by there that Curtatone thought he was too good for an Ocean State Job Lot. So thanks to him, we've now had an empty lot instead for nearly a decade...

Thank you both. I pass by there often and it just seems like such a waste of potential. Not sure if I want to see something like an Ocean State Job Lot ultimately, but you are right that it beats an empty lot.

One of the other buildings on the lot (9 Temple st) where the hairdresser is located recently sold as well. So I was wondering if that was a sign that something might be happening.

I am taking an added interest in this because we are about to close on a condo on Fellsway W down the road. That lot is quite the eyesore.

well, the added wrinkle is that it isn't just "curatone thought he was too good for an ocean state job lot" -- it's entirely personal between james cohen and joe c. cohen wanted to do whatever the hell he wanted with the spot (understandable, he owns it), but joe wanted to *not* ghetto-fy the area (more than it already his) so, yes, he was against the ocean state idea. fact is: post-ocean state the city came to cohen/comar real estate with proposals for a trader joe's and another (i think whole foods?), but cohen at that point just dug in his heels and refused b/c he was pissed that he'd been blocked on his initial plan. i "get" that he was/is annoyed that he was denied permission to do what he initially wanted to do, but it became him biting off his nose to spite his face -- nobody won, certainly not him. i would have loved a trader joe's, so on a personal level: eff him.

i'm surprised a new 2 story srsly massive supermarket + retail + 12~16 stories of condo's above w/ zero net additional parking hasn't yet been announced.

is there a thread for 51 High Street?

or anyone know who the developer is?

Anyone know whats happening with the Old Northern Ave Bridge/when we should know what will happen? Seemed like there was a lot of planning around it with the competition and then the GE deal, but now it seems like everything's either dwindled down and/or the city's keeping quiet about it.

Anyone know whats happening with the Old Northern Ave Bridge/when we should know what will happen? Seemed like there was a lot of planning around it with the competition and then the GE deal, but now it seems like everything's either dwindled down and/or the city's keeping quiet about it.

The competition had no teeth. It was just a community building exercise. A fun one at that ... but still. No policy backup.

cca

Anyone know what's going on with the proposed courtyard fill-in @ 500 Boylston?

This has been under review at the BPDA for forever.

Personal take: I actually really like 500 Boylston overall, even though I strongly dislike the over-the-top postmodernism. The massing and skyline impact just work for me. So I am curious about this project because I am wondering how it will affect the street-level impact of this building.

It's been total radio silence on this one for a long time:
Screen-Shot-2015-06-15-at-2.10.39-PM.png

God that's awful. I'm happy that it hasn't been approved.

I dunno. I honestly can't decide. I don't like the way the building presently looks at street level, so I'm up for a change. I'm just wondering what's going on with this, and whether it is indeed design considerations that are holding it up.

God that's awful. I'm happy that it hasn't been approved.

I have to disagree. That's wasted space right now, and filling in the street wall might make it better. Honestly, the whole block on that side needs a major cleanup. Prime real estate that's effectively dead as you work your way toward Arlington St.

Didn't want to bump the main thread (and so I post here), but has anyone heard anything about this?
http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4943

122914boylston004.jpg

927-939 Boylston St.

It's the building behind the tennis and raquet club (same building as the erstwhile cactus club).

I think it's odd that there was this announcement, but nothing appears on the bostonplans map view, despite a PNF and some public meetings.

http://www.bostonplans.org/news-calendar/calendar/2015/01/21/927-939-boylston-street-public-meeting

Anyone know what's going on with the proposed courtyard fill-in @ 500 Boylston?

This has been under review at the BPDA for forever.

Personal take: I actually really like 500 Boylston overall, even though I strongly dislike the over-the-top postmodernism. The massing and skyline impact just work for me. So I am curious about this project because I am wondering how it will affect the street-level impact of this building.

It's been total radio silence on this one for a long time:
Screen-Shot-2015-06-15-at-2.10.39-PM.png

That's a lovely proposed facade, but I'm worried about how it will affect the plaza surrounding 500 Boylston.

Didn't want to bump the main thread (and so I post here), but has anyone heard anything about this?
http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4943

122914boylston004.jpg

927-939 Boylston St.

It's the building behind the tennis and raquet club (same building as the erstwhile cactus club).

I think it's odd that there was this announcement, but nothing appears on the bostonplans map view, despite a PNF and some public meetings.

http://www.bostonplans.org/news-calendar/calendar/2015/01/21/927-939-boylston-street-public-meeting

Looks like we are now at the brutalist architecture cycle--again--

How is anything about that brutalist? I see a new glass addition to an old brick building... Also the addition would be going on an empty portion of the lot.

I think Rifleman is too stupid to realize the low rise portion already exists

Back