100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Residential Tower | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Exactly what we need! Another steakhouse. God forbid someone walks 75 yards to Morton's, 100 yards to Del Frisco's or 150 yards the other way to Smith and Wollensky. Or a 1/4 of a mile to the new location of the Palm. I like a good high end steakhouse as much as the next person but so many all so close to each other? Some variety would be nice. Guess the convention business is the driving force here.

Most likely catering (literally) to the convention goers who can expense business luncheons at an agreeable stake house and talk shop:confused:.

Im glad they kept the corner triangle as a little park plaza

Can we convince the Massachusetts Historical Society to bid for this space?

They have one of America's best collection of objects related to American History. There are countless papers, art and objects. They have 3 presidential libraries in storage (Adams, Quincy Adams and Jefferson) as well as personal papers of Abigail Adams.

They could do AMAZING things with this space. It would be world class.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/04/06/pier/zQbBTsZ8QV7oU9niGzAO5H/story.html#comments

Shocked nobody already posted this one - big news!

Boston Project Draws Chinese Insurance Firms’ First U.S. Investments
Tishman Speyer will join in $500 million Pier 4 redevelopment

By PETER GRANT And ESTHER FUNG
April 7, 2015

China’s two largest insurance companies are making their first investment in U.S. commercial real estate, buying a majority stake in a $500 million project in Boston, according to a person briefed on the transaction.

The investment by China Life Insurance Group Co. and Ping An Insurance Co., along with New York developer Tishman Speyer Properties, marks the latest sign that Chinese insurance companies are becoming a force in global real-estate investment.

The Boston development includes a 13-story office building and a nine-story condominium tower with 100 units. The project in the city’s popular Seaport District will take up most of Pier 4, which was known for Anthony’s Pier 4, a popular restaurant that was closed two years ago as plans for redeveloping the site progressed.

Rest of article available at: http://www.wsj.com/articles/boston-...437262?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

Renderings from the WSJ article:

BN-HT731_0407ch_J_20150407130759.jpg

BN-HT729_0407ch_P_20150407130610.jpg

Wake me up in 10 years when this is all built and the glass boxes melt visually into one another so I don't have to look at them all.

Awesome! I have been waiting eagerly for this development. I sincerely hope that the ground floor still intends to be, at least to some degree, the "Seaport Quincy Market" that was originally advertised.

The Pier 4 project in Boston is its first development in the Seaport area. The firm acquired the site last year and is planning to complete the office portion of the project in the second half of 2017 and the condo tower in the first quarter of 2018.

Great!

They have one of America's best collection of objects related to American History. There are countless papers, art and objects. They have 3 presidential libraries in storage (Adams, Quincy Adams and Jefferson) as well as personal papers of Abigail Adams.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/04/06/pier/zQbBTsZ8QV7oU9niGzAO5H/story.html#comments

This is a great idea. Why not drop them a note?

What about when the next hurricane (that is sure to come) comes? I don't intend to derail the thread I just genuinely don't think we should be putting such precious historical objects in such a dangerous place for them.

I did drop them a note. I wrote their President. I also wrote BRA. BRA wrote me back twice. They loved the idea. Anyone else who wants to write the Massachusetts Historical Society to make them take notice Here is the contact info.

Dennis A. Fiori, President
617-646-0520 / dfiori@masshist.org

Most residents and visitors have NO idea what the MHS has.

They have 3 Presidential Libraries
(Adams, Quincy Adams and Jefferson)
Original copies of declaration and constitution
Pen Lincoln signed emancipation proclamation with
Lincolns Bronze Life Mask (of his face)
Most comprehensive of collection of papers from colonial and precolonial America anywhere
Abigail Adams papers
The original wooden Bureau that started the Salem witch trial
I think about 300 paintings and some sculptures including portraits of many founding fathers (washington, hancock, adams, abigail adams, Marquise de Lafeyette, Daniel webster)
Gun Jon Brown used to raid Harpers Ferry
Many Many other paper and items of interest from every major American war and period
Check out their collections: http://masshist.org/gallery/artifacts

They have 3 Presidential Libraries
(Adams, Quincy Adams and Jefferson)

Not to diminish the MHS, whose holdings I imagine could readily fill a fascinating medium-sized museum, but I'm not sure it's accurate to characterize its Jefferson holdings as "the Jefferson Presidential Library":

-The MHS characterizes its Jefferson collection as "the largest collection of Thomas Jefferson’s private papers" (as opposed to characterizing its John and John Quincy Adams papers as "the papers of John Adams and John Quincy Adams"). This also suggests it does not have the largest collection of Jefferson's official papers, which are arguably more important for a Presidential Library (not like there's an official definition of what that even is).

-Per the NY Times, the 3 largest repositories of Jefferson's official papers and books (which could also claim the title of Jefferson Presidential Library) are his founding collection of the Library of Congress, UVA, and Washington Univ. in St. Louis. Monticello is another significant holder of Jefferson documents.

Don't want to rain on any parades, but merely was curious to see if that assertion was true - it looks like the TJ holdings are among the most significant in the country and probably fascinating (and worthy of a museum) but don't seem to qualify the MHS as the Jefferson Presidential Library-in-waiting...

Is it weird that I don't like that render at all?

Well itchy perhaps you are correct. When I went to a seminar at MHS one of the Librarians said that they had Jeffersons presidential Library, though it is true that a large amount of his papers exist elsewhere.

Regardless it is atotally moot and irrelevant point to my larger idea, which is the treasures of this collection would make an excellent resident for this space.

Monday is Thomas Jefferson's birthday, so there's that.

Monday is Thomas Jefferson's birthday, so there's that.

John Adams dying words -- "Jefferson still lives" -- he was wrong in the literal sense of the word as Jefferson had died earlier in the day -- both 50 years to the day of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1826 -- but of course Jefferson still lived in the words of the Declaration

The marketers must be able to come up with something better than "Boston's newest luxury apartments"... construction is way too swift for that to ever be true for more than five minutes...

Back