100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: Pier 4 Residential Tower | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

default.jpg

Totally continuing off topic, but seriously, I just happened to notice this today when I was out (after seeing this pic this afternoon)... Canal Park (CambridgeSide Galleria) has these EXACT light posts outside.

SLIGHTLY different, I think but only because of what looks like the addition of a "lampshade"... How Asperger-y can we get - is there a website that catalogues, with photos, lampposts from past and present? (I used to have a link to manhole cover website - which was actually pretty awesome).

Edit: Behold! LINK
Mulero kindly offered to share with us his collection of vintage photographs of the Type 1 Bishop’s Crook lampposts which were manufactured by the J.L. Mott Iron Works of New York and served by the Thomas Edison Company. According to Forgotten New York, the Type 1 Bishop’s Crook was designed by Richard Rogers Bowker, an executive at Edison.

Gotta check the bases - looking through the second site (see below), there's a whole bunch of very similar looking designs (various Type 24's). I wonder if the Cambridgeside ones are real or recreations?

Double edit: this site is devoted entirely to cataloging NYC streetlamps of all kinds. Fuckin awesome.

Triple edit: the Commonwealth Pier lampposts lack the ornate bases shown in the sites above. And zooming on the google image of the Cambridgeside lamps, the base and shaft are very simple, and look to be likely recreations.

Quadruple edit: NY Times article about this exact issue of how to pick the appropriate street lamp in a city with layers of history:

So, as installed, the Bishop's Crook (costing $3,000 each and paid for by the involved block associations) is "wrong." This is as historically incorrect as installing a copper roof on a landmark building where the original one was slate.

But the issues are not nearly as clear with an entire block. West 90th Street, for instance, has brownstones of the gas-lamp era, apartment houses of the Type F era and a modern building. Should the fixtures be uniform on such a street, and if so, what model should be used?

Jeremy Woodoff, deputy director for public projects at the Landmarks Preservation Commission, has studied lampposts, stop lights and paving intensively and feels that issues about street furniture must be resolved differently from those about individual buildings.

"There were Fifth Avenue twin posts in front of the Guggenheim Museum when it was built, but that doesn't seem incongruous" he says, adding that it was not even clear why some streets had Bishop's Crook lampposts and others had Type F posts for lighting.

INDEED, the idea of uniformity in our street furniture is relatively modern. A typical view of a street corner in the 1910's might show a Bishop's Crook, a Type F, an old gas fixture and several privately installed fixtures, some only a few feet away from one another. Only in 1958 did the Department of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity embark on a campaign to replace all previous designs with the present "cobra-head" standard.

In 1973, Margot Gayle, the preservationist, persuaded the department to save a few dozen Bishop's Crook fixtures, and within a few years they were being reproduced for custom installations like those at the New York Palace. Now they are the default standard for most historic street furniture projects in New York City, in part because several suppliers have existing molds. The cost of creating a new mold for the Type F post would kill small projects like the Landmark West! one.

The Bishop's Crook lampposts on West 67th and West 90th Streets, are just part of a new heterogeneity in street lighting, which includes unusual modern designs like those on Central Park West and others in midtown by the Grand Central Partnership. Only in recent years has the Department of Transportation, which controls all street lighting, begun to encourage such diversity.

Last edited:

FK4 Thank you for the research!

^ Nice historical interlude (no sarcasm), but that's a tiny part f the whole area and either way doesnt change my view that fake old-fashioned looks tawdry when it's totally out of place, as it is here.

As regarding the flu, Im pretty sure ground zero (ground zero, that is, for the USA, the flu having already broken out elsewhere) was not here but Charlestown Navy Yard, and thence Ayer, MA.

Edit: a brief internet search does support Commonwealth Pier -> Devens, rather than the Navy Yard. However, I still seem to remember in The Great Influenza by John Barry it stating the location was the Navy Yard. Will have to find it.

FK as per the flu -- remember that there was a Navy Annex in Southy -- just a Pier further down from Commonwealth

Also it is worth remembering that the flu came in from Europe [hence Spanish Flu] and that since Charlestown was only used for repair work not loading and unloading troops -- unlikely to have been Charlestown

Back to the lights -- you are of course familiar with the use of the McKim BPL-style lights by Philip Johnson -- Mr Modern if ever

2387524083_ef430081dd_n.jpg

031615boystonjb04.jpg

PJ829.jpg

^But of course!

So how 'bout that Pier 4 Residential Tower?

Soil sampling has begun at the site of the second phase.

When was it that soil sampling began on Phase 1 -- this is moving right along!

Re: New residential mid-tower set for Pier 4

Yesterday I saw a ECO drilling truck next to the Atlantic Beer Garden. Looks like they are doing some soil testing.
A barge, with a small crane on it, is moored down by Anthony's. Not sure this has anything to do with the project or it maybe a tempory mooring for the barge that was working the Tea Party Museum site. They look much the same.

Blast from the past to answer your query: they were doing soil sampling for Phase 1 in 2012, formwork was happening by 2013, and now soil sampling has started again, this time for Phase 2, in 2015.

What is the reason for soil sampling?

What is the reason for soil sampling?

It determines constructability on the site including the strategy for the piles, footings and/or foundation.

so they go down to bedrock?

I was in the neighborhood Friday and snapped a few pics of the redevelopment in the area with my 5C. I'm digging this one more than I thought I would. It's hardly iconic but the misaligned window placement and and material variations don't feel contrived here like they do on many other new projects.

iphone-522-334.jpg

iphone-522-337.jpg

iphone-522-322.jpg

iphone-522-328.jpg

And one more

iphone-522-317.jpg

17546677463_d0ac62f568_c.jpg

18163719192_4a097c74da_c.jpg

Anyone know when this will start up again? They haven't demolished the old restaurant yet. I wonder what the holdup is.

They haven't demolished the old Pier 4 restaurant yet because the ghost of Anthony Athanas has been seen on-site! Construction workers are now demanding popovers and glover salads for some reason.... Stay tuned!

They haven't demolished the old Pier 4 restaurant yet because the ghost of Anthony Athanas has been seen on-site! Construction workers are now demanding popovers and glover salads for some reason.... Stay tuned!

^Sounds like some sort of paranormal snacktivity going on.

On an unrelated note, I had the pleasure of sitting and drinking under this tower on Whiskey's roof deck Thursday night. The LED lighting up top was out in places and it looked like a constellation from below.

I'm excited to see how the other two developments here affect that space.

Anyone know when this will start up again? They haven't demolished the old restaurant yet. I wonder what the holdup is.

The remaining two phases were bought by Tishman Speyer from New England Development earlier this year. Construction on the next phase is supposed to begin by the end of this year, with construction on both remaining phases completed by the end of 2018.

The remaining two phases were bought by Tishman Speyer from New England Development earlier this year. Construction on the next phase is supposed to begin by the end of this year, with construction on both remaining phases completed by the end of 2018.

thanks

Back