100 Shawmut Avenue | South End

I like the look of the existing building a lot, but it's going to look really bizzare once completed. Either they should have just demoed entirely or made the rest of the expansion look at least somewhat similar.

This looks really good. Theres gonna be a lot of glass soon lining the cut down this stretch of the pike. I like this too from the link:

“Davis, as part of advancing 100 Shawmut, will contribute $15 million to a city-controlled escrow account for developing affordable housing at a CCBA-owned site at 50 Herald Street next to 100 Shawmut. That project is expected to hold 313 apartments, 26 percent of which will be designated affordable.”

Can a mod change the thread title to 100 Shawmut ave.

The new address appears to have been revealed at the recent groundbreaking.
https://www.bldup.com/posts/the-davis-companies-celebrate-groundbreaking-at-100-shawmut
http://www.bldup.com/projects/112-shawmut-avenue

112_Shawmut_Ave_Washington_Street_Block_South_End_Boston_MA.png

Its changed to 100 Shawmut, as shown on the sign now on the side of the building too.

Ok for now. But "meh," going forward. If only the NY Streets had been developed 10~15 years from now instead of now. With the up-scaling of the Harrison-Albany corridor a few blocks down, a taller South Station area and maybe those DOT blocks in the Leather District (eventually) getting done--maybe the trend toward tall neighborhoods near the High Spine would have had changed perception/s to do a better mix of tall, incl a few buildings pushing the FAA heights. Highrises with their shadows going on the freeway would have worked nicely here--instead of these "less good," buzzcut blocks. Possible future development of the Pike air rights' at Columbus Ave and Tremont St would have been made it all the more splendid.

Last edited:
While I love the development, I agree that there were several opportunities in the Ink Block to build taller.

Ok for now. But "meh," going forward. If only the NY Streets had been developed 10~15 years from now instead of now. With the up-scaling of the Harrison-Albany corridor a few blocks down, a taller South Station area and maybe those DOT blocks in the Leather District (eventually) getting done--maybe the trend toward tall neighborhoods near the High Spine would have had changed perception/s to do a better mix of tall, incl a few buildings pushing the FAA heights. Highrises with their shadows going on the freeway would have worked nicely here--instead of these "less good," buzzcut blocks. Possible future development of the Pike air rights' at Columbus Ave and Tremont St would have been made it all the more splendid.

Id rather start the transformation now as theres no guarantee that will ever happen, but theres always going to be room for it if it does. The other side of the pike hasnt been developed yet and would be perfectly fitting for more height. Theres still hope this can turn into a greenway. The faster they make the area desirable the faster that probably happens. With that will undoubtably come more development. Id like to see them use up as much space here as they can though so the only thing left is to cap the pike, this gets us closer to that.

Each of these bring us closer to one day the pike being decked by filling in the available lots, making the land much more attractive and valuable, and creating a nice part of the South End that would be desirable to develop. Once all these spots on both sides are filled in and a desirable area exists theres only one more place to build.

I love that they kept the facade here, this should be the case whenever possible.

I've been wondering what was going on here and should've known to check ArchBoston...

I hate to be the one poo-pooing this, but I actually find this to be... disrespectful to the original architecture being preserved here? It feels very Miami/Toronto meets the Industrial Revolution by way of transporter accident. There's no apparent integration with the preserved facade. It's more Exchange Place than Hearst Tower or Atlantic Wharf.

Someone change my mind.

Back