11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Re: One Bromfield (28-story DTX tower) | 1 Bromfield Street | Downtown

Looking at the FAA map 750' seems to be the max build height...anyone know the exact limit?

Looking at the FAA map 750' seems to be the max build height...anyone know the exact limit?

Also, does anyone know if the FAA map is based on altitude or height above ground? I would think that the FAA map would be altitude, so the max height would be 750' minus whatever height the base is above sea level.

EDIT: answered my own question. The map heights are above sea level. So the max height would be 750' minus the height of the land.

Last edited:

^I'll take small store fronts filled with camera stores and watch stores that have been there forever over some furniture store with a name a can't pronounce selling lamps for 1500 bucks

Also, does anyone know if the FAA map is based on altitude or height above ground? I would think that the FAA map would be altitude, so the max height would be 750' minus whatever height the base is above sea level.

Mongo -- that depends on where you measure

Bromfield St is definitely tilted as you move from essentially the old Harbor's edge at Franklin & Federal to the beginning of the major slope of Beacon Hill at Park & Tremont -- probably about 30 feet above the Harbor's Edge level at the NW corner of Bromfield & Washington

That would suggest a top about 720' above the street corner

^I'll take small store fronts filled with camera stores and watch stores that have been there forever over some furniture store with a name a can't pronounce selling lamps for 1500 bucks

I doubt the retail would change much...probably a restaurant/bar on lower level and/or discount retailer...I'm happy to see Payless and that redundant crappy jewelry store that's basically a pawn shop move on...id have to think the development will include the city sports building as well which is a one-story price of crap...just hope the building where Gem is isn't touched, the old casualty something or other- cool building.

I doubt the retail would change much...probably a restaurant/bar on lower level and/or discount retailer...I'm happy to see Payless and that redundant crappy jewelry store that's basically a pawn shop move on...id have to think the development will include the city sports building as well which is a one-story price of crap...just hope the building where Gem is isn't touched, the old casualty something or other- cool building.

According to the banker and tradesman article the building that Sam LaGrassas is in isn't part of the development, and that is the same building Gem is in.

Are you crazy? There's no way lower end retailers could afford the rent in a brand new luxury tower.

How do you explain primark?

Nah. The only reason that Millennium saved the old Filene's building was because it was a Burnham. Notice how they treated the 1905 facade.

So say goodbye to another pre-war block and hello to another sterile glass wall facade complete with a giant cutout in the street wall for either a garage entrance or valet parking (or both).

But it's really going to be really tall so... cool.

For what it's worth, I'm envisioning that the developer keeps at least the building at the corner of Bromfield and Washington (as well as the old Boston Casualty Co. building on Province) in the massing I posted. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but I feel those two in particular demand being retained.

If so, I will be almost 100% on board. But for now I am tempering my excitement.

(Just my thing, by the way. I don't begrudge anyone else getting amped for this)

For what it's worth, I'm envisioning that the developer keeps at least the building at the corner of Bromfield and Washington (as well as the old Boston Casualty Co. building on Province) in the massing I posted. Wishful thinking? Perhaps, but I feel those two in particular demand being retained.

I too hope that they retain the façade of the Payless building.

^+1, I love tall buildings but wish they'd buy some other property in the area and redevelop that.

I know it was recently renovated but what about that concrete monstrosity on the corner with the Walgreens? Seems like that's the perfect spot for a giant tower.

If so, I will be almost 100% on board. But for now I am tempering my excitement.

(Just my thing, by the way. I don't begrudge anyone else getting amped for this)

And I don't begrudge you being nervous. The prior proposal kept nothing, and the developer has a track record of liking glassy podiums. Hopefully the BRA has made them very aware of what they have to keep this time around.

I don't see why something similar couldn't move in. I would definitely expect a chain. Chains can afford new construction and most other stores can't even if they kept the facade the rent would still increase so it would still likely be a chain.

No matter what they keep or destroy a chain store(s) would be what I expect for retail. Not saying that is good or bad but that is reality.

I do hope they keep the facade of the payless building, but I am not expecting them to tbh.

Multinational chain store?

Yes but lower end...$12 sneakers etc.

Just bc the rent will be high doesn't mean the goods/services provided will be only for the wealthy...I personally won't miss Payless, Kung fu video, pawn shop, or bromfield pen...do you really need a brick and mortar location to sell pens? Wtf.

Anyway this can't happen sooner bc that block is screaming for a face lift.

We can agree to disagree 617, but I don't see any real "good deals" or "bargains" anywhere in the seaport whether it's from restaurants or bars to the limited retail down there. It's all new construction with high rents, you have to pay a premium for everything down there. I don't understand why you think Bromfield would be any different.

id rather compare this development to MT/Burnham which has bargains at primark and a huge value add grocery store...you're right there's no deals in the seaport no disagreement there but it's like the Disney world of Boston so no one expects a deal...DTX is the discount shopping area...Nordstrom rack please and thank you.

As always, the Globe comments are lovely.

How do you explain primark?

Loss leader retail location tactic for establishing brand awareness in a new market. As mentioned above, something a massive multinational can afford to do. This is their first US location - it's an investment, not a revenue driver. Most retail stores for fast fashion brands in top-end shopping areas don't make money. But the Primarks two years down the road opening on Rt 9 in Natick or at Legacy Place will make killings.

Back