11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

As much as I do like the actual design I really like this without the cantilevers it is just a little sleeker and ironically less hulking/looming feeling.

It looks like nothing currently in Boston - it's beautiful. Hopefully this gets built as is and construction starts soon.

Nice to see a lot of the newer towers being mostly glass - nice and modern and clean. These towers will stand up well over the years.

I like the tower quite a bit. I think it would serve as a nice contrast among downtown's boxes. I'm a little skeptical that the cantilevers and all those curves will survive VE, though.

I'm not a fan of the base, which already looks dated.

New future 10 tallest buildings in the city.

fLY1tCj.png

New future 10 tallest buildings in the city.

fLY1tCj.png

Pretty crazy that 7 of Boston's 10 tallest buildings are either U/C or proposed. The quiet, conservative city is starting to grow up a bit!

Proportions have certainly improved over the years. The Hancock should have been 1/3rd thinner and 1/3rd taller!

Here's a new version...
I think this looks significantly better. I will try another version with the original top, but the cant on the bottom extended down to the ground.

THAT is how it's done. Dropping those cantilevers makes this look like something out of Melbourne. Fantastic job.

Proportions have certainly improved over the years. The Hancock should have been 1/3rd thinner and 1/3rd taller!

Residential buildings tend to be thinner than office buildings. This is because regulations require every bedroom to have a window. Office towers are not constrained in this way so that might explain their thicker footprint compared to residential buildings.

Last edited:
Looks better without the cantilever. Either way this is not going to be built as is. Its nice to look at for a little while until it gets reviewed though just to have a place holder to see how it affects the skyline.

1) What type of feedback and information are you all expecting from tomorrow's meeting?
2) So how long, in everyone's estimation, before a new design gets released?
3) Do you think that this was designed with significant input from the committee, and do you think the firm has a "back-up" ready to fire off knowing that these things never stick with the first iteration?

THAT is how it's done. Dropping those cantilevers makes this look like something out of Melbourne. Fantastic job.

^ That looks much better!....now this idea should be presented tomorrow night at the BCDC meeting. It's a public meeting, and they are soliciting the public's input. I think they'd be impressed! (well, maybe not everybody) :)

^ That looks much better!....now this idea should be presented tomorrow night at the BCDC meeting. It's a public meeting, and they are soliciting the public's input. I think they'd be impressed! (well, maybe not everybody) :)

I'm out of town - but feel free to use my PhotoShopped images ;)

I know I'm late to the party on this, but like van and briv, I like this a lot. Smith & Gill do good work. Though the undulating, organic forms are very similar to the Copley Place tower, the bronze-colored facade treatment of this proposal is much more to my liking, the strong verticals clearly referencing classic Miesian modernism. Retro-futurist it may be, it's a characterful departure from its inert blue neighbor across Washington Street.

Saving the Payless building would be a tricky and costly gesture that makes little sense architecturally, and would probably make little difference urbanisticly. With that said, Bromfield deserves better than to serve as a driveway. Here's hoping they get that right...

This thing looks like a golf bag to me.

callaway-golf-bags-cytjenz2r.jpg

I keep wondering when you're going to cut me in on that deal where you bought behind the Great Wall of China [on the good side]. I've left voicemail after email with Wang, but no reply...

I know I'm late to the party on this, but like van and briv, I like this a lot. Smith & Gill do good work. Though the undulating, organic forms are very similar to the Copley Place tower, the bronze-colored facade treatment of this proposal is much more to my liking, the strong verticals clearly referencing classic Miesian modernism. Retro-futurist it may be, it's a characterful departure from its inert blue neighbor across Washington Street.

Saving the Payless building would be a tricky and costly gesture that makes little sense architecturally, and would probably make little difference urbanisticly. With that said, Bromfield deserves better than to serve as a driveway. Here's hoping they get that right...

I am in total agreement with you. This pretty much sums up how I feel about this.

A rendering of a possible scene from the "amenities" level.

caddyshack1.jpg

Ok, enough derailment from me. I am a little wary of how this color will age, but this is fantastic for the city. It looks fantastic from the park as well as from Cambridge. I like the new base. I think the buildings there right now are nothing special.

Wait, isn't Bromfield a pedestrian only street? How can they get away with adding the carport if cars are not allowed down there to begin with?

Wait, isn't Bromfield a pedestrian only street? How can they get away with adding the carport if cars are not allowed down there to begin with?

Cars of course go downhill on School, then can go left on Province and right, uphill, on Bromfield--which of course is just past the proposed carport. So you're asking an excellent question.

Remember, too, that Millennium Tower's valet roundabout--at most 30 yards downslope from 1 Bromfield--is opening in a few months.

Needless to say, it'd be interesting to be a fly on the wall for BRA/BTD dialogues concerning DTC traffic flows--of all persuasions--at the Bromfield/Washington/Franklin merge point....

Back