11-21 Bromfield Street | DTX | Downtown

Found, you remind me of the absent forum members we both miss. Well said. Take solace here, the photos on this sight are better than ever!

Not to stray too far from the project, but this is a rather healthy can that has been opened.

I must admit, as found5dollar mentioned-although never interacting enough to be part of the "missed members"-my lack of interest to participate in board discussion has been largely based on such blatant neglect of topics most important about so many projects. I too have been enthused by the influx of development and development interest, yet a silent observer since joining(check the time span).

I often have a bit to say, but the general pissing spirit I come across-including but not limited to the senseless edits of a knowledgeable architects work-is a deterrent for me. At times I find myself browsing through versions of the project looking for the real deal as I have with 1 Dalton and the adding of that spire.

I'm typically making use of the links, reading countless articles, visiting developer web pages, etc. I just hope to see a more progressive direction of this forum as it's a major place to visit for Boston area development news.

Idk Iv been around a long time and I dont think its that bad to play around with some designs to see how they would look. Sometimes it gets taken way too far but every once in a while isnt bad for example when someone added a second spire to the td garden tower. I didnt like it but it was cool to get a visual of what it would look like.

Iv said for a long time this forum should post all current renders to the first page of every thread like ssp/ssc does. Would solve that problem completely.

Until probably the last few weeks this forum I think was as good as ever with updates almost by the minute, dzh22 posting tons of pictures, and not much bickering. Iv been lingering here since the start and joined in 09' and I think for the most part weve been spoiled lately. I remember waiting years for updates and weeks for pictures of developments. Im more of a glass is half full type of guy tho and I just scroll past shit I dont like usually. Discussion wise we are slowly moving backwards with the bickering but content wise we are better than ever. Most of that is because the furious pace of development but people are doing their due dilligence to find new stories(sst), taking tons of pictures, and even posting updates from the bcdc meetings.

I agree with some of found5dollars points, but as a newbie on here, I think the posts have been quite informative, with some spirited banter once in a while, I do not see bickering. I learn something new almost every time I'm on here. BTW, anyone know if the Napoleon complex has shut down yet? :)

Back on thread, I read THE BCDC members went gaga over 150 Seaport Blvd., but I wonder what they thought of One Bromfield, and what comes next for this proposal?

Back on thread, I read The BCDC members went gaga over 150 Seaport Blvd., but I wonder what they thought of One Bromfield, and what comes next for this proposal?

They liked the tower & were concerned with the street level/podium and access. One Bromfield was technically an informal conversation at the last BCDC meeting. It was on the agenda, but had no motions, votes or procedures. They have to file the NPC and then go through the BRA approval process before the BCDC really will have any say. They didn't even have to motion to close because it was never officially opened.

Also, I felt like odurandina greatly exaggerated the BCDC responses in his/her bullet points for this past meeting, leaving out important context & other dialogue by just cherry-picking all the positive comments. I tried to fill in the gaps.

They liked the tower & were concerned with the street level/podium and access. One Bromfield was technically an informal conversation at the last BCDC meeting. It was on the agenda, but had no motions, votes or procedures. They have to file the NPC and then go through the BRA approval process before the BCDC really will have any say. They didn't even have to motion to close because it was never officially opened.

Also, I felt like odurandina greatly exaggerated the BCDC responses in his/her bullet points for this past meeting, leaving out important context & other dialogue by just cherry-picking all the positive comments. I tried to fill in the gaps.

^Thank you data...

If the highest 111 Fed (or this presumably) can go is 735', what the hell was Tommy smoking when he was pushing a 1000' tower 10 years ago? Is the 735' a new revelation? Was the FAA not yet involved at that point? Had they not given their 2 cents to the conversation? If they were involved, then what exactly has changed?

No building has ever risen above the FAA height.

Zeus has been here all along. Looking down upon Boston...

btw, blowing up the image to 400% on photoshop gives;

base 107 pixels....

tower above base to deck of highest occupied floor 751 pixels

total 858 pixels = 683'

from deck of top occupied floor to top of mech screen 65 pixels/59.3'

total height: 742.3' :

http://s1024.photobucket.com/user/odurandina/media/work_zpsgapl97qy.jpg.html

Last edited:
The height of a building and its impact on the imaginary thing we call a "skyline" has absolutely no impact on the City of Boston. Period.

You'll have to drag me away kicking and screaming. I think in a city as small as Boston, with so many unique twists and turns, apect ratio most certainly does matter.... i believe enough people have expressed that height vs width invokes a positive or negative reaction when seen from different perspectives and various parts of the city. The McCormack cube needs some variety to fix this offensive horror, and we can get it. We don't have many more chances to fix it though.... and since they already did these two huge ugly 400' and 500' walls, we're dealing with the same problem. Do it right now, or never. it's time for several (as many as a dozen) new, tall spires to not only continue to improve Boston's street interaction. But it's not just me. But, many posters in the Nimby friendly Globe seem to indicate the same.

What does matter is why we build buildings and how we interact with them.
to have. In my opinion, 1 Bromfield is on it's way to fulfilling these goals.

i don't post with such clarity. i must endeavor to improve.

Pardon if this issue has already been addressed here, but what will happen to the values of nearby condos in the Province St. tower and Millennium Tower when some of their views are going to be obliterated?

Pardon if this issue has already been addressed here, but what will happen to the values of nearby condos in the Province St. tower and Millennium Tower when some of their views are going to be obliterated?

If there are attractive people living in the new tower, the value might actually go up. *wink wink nudge nudge

If there are attractive people living in the new tower, the value might actually go up. *wink wink nudge nudge

You're telling me to buy a condo there when it's complete?

My argument on this is that you make the tower attractive enough that it becomes part of the view from the other properties.

From a legal standpoint, unless you bought the air rights to everything in a 1/4 mile radius, views are transient.

There were some 45 Province residents at the BCDC meeting where this was introduced cawing about their precious views being lost.

KentXie -- as Bob Hope once said in the banter on one his shows for the troops on some island in the Pacific

Bob's companion said she was concerned that he was in the hospital yesterday -- "was he able to do the show"?

Bob replied: "it was nothing -- I'd gone down with some Marines to an overlook above the beach near the nurses quarters"

Companion: "did you fall?"

Bob: [drum roll if you please] "No -- it was just minor surgery to have the impacted binoculars removed" ;)

[Rimshot!]

hqdefault.jpg

for you young whipper-snappers -- That's Bob and Raquel Welch from a Vietnam era Bob Hope shows for the troops

it's a very slender tower off the Northeast corner of MT.

MT stands to lose views over City Hall and parts of Charlestown.

45 Province St. the price of progress.

Money views are Common, River, back bay, and harbor...MT should be relatively unscathed...Province maybe not so much, especially for those facing the DTX on lower floors but they will still have a "city view" of 2 massive glass modern towers (3 counting Winthrop sq.) which is still pretty cool...and I'd argue their view was nothing special to begin with.

The DPIR is up on the BRA website and it clearly shows the building as 705' to the structural top just to clear up the height issue for this one.

Back